DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Dug Gargano trying to scam his way out of the Kushida match.

Xia Li squashing one of the new girls and then kicking Kacy and Kayden's asses for trying to pull her out of her abusive relationship was fun. I look forward to when Tian Sha forces Xia to murder the two. 

Escobar was nice in his interview. Its going to annoy me next week when he loses to Kross.

Ember/Shotzi vs. Candice/Indi felt off at times, but was generally solid and probably Indi's best showing. Really looking forward to finals. It was the match I was hoping to get.

Grimes getting rich off the Gamestop/Wall Street stuff is weirdly topical but amusing. I love Grimes being so rich he feels he can everyone to fuck off.

Dug both semi-finals for the men's Dusty Cup. Especially loved how Ciampa & Thatcher started things off. Hopefully GYV win the finals though MSK is probably a lock with 1-2 as champs.

Surprised at GYV over Ciampa/Thatcher. Weird to think they're left off the Takeover card but I'm not against it

Cameron Grimes just cut a promo about investing in Gamestop stock and Dogecoin. What a fucking world. I guess atleast it's only 3-4 weeks behind the times rather than 3-4 years so thats something

Won't see the show before tomorrow at the earliest, but I'll just throw this in and edit in more later. Anyway, the mysterious Mai Jung-character (at least I think that's what she's called) is supposedly ancient. The commentators were questioning last week whether they were supposed to believe that the person on the throne was thousands of years old? That can't be. They probably just mean she's in the highest age-bracket WWE uses for women. That being "35 and up" and being supposedly thousands of years old is covered in the "and up"-part. It's not like they have the balls to ask her straight up, right? Probably only R-Truth would go and ask her "Are you really 4000 years old? 'Cause you look 3965!"

Otherwise, a really bad-ass show! The opening tag, holy shit! Given how the main event went, my prediction of GYV taking it this year seems very plausable.

On the women's side, Indi taking yet another bullet for Candice was nice touch. I'd say Kai & Gonzalez take the cup, but with the title match added to this one as well, it may be Shotzi & Ember who get the opportunity to get squashed by tag champs on a random NXT episode.

When Grimes showed up with the money I was guessing he had made some shrewd investments lately and I was right. This can't end well for him though.

The Way segment with Johnny faking the arm injury was stellar and stupid at the same time. Kushida vs Theory was decent, but served more as angle advancement. 

Everything was decent at least and matches were really good.

Edited by Shartnado
Ok, watched it.

At least, Xia Li looks the part of a possessed warrior that could tear the balls off 90 percent of the NXT or AEW male competitors.  Besides it's nowhere near as outlandish as the entire costume and set piece changes you get with Blisslexia on RAW. I'd probably put it more along the lines of Wrath and Mortis, because the magic doesn't creep into the actual wrestling beyond her being booked like a brainwashed killer. Eventually they'll have to demystify and depower the gimmick, which they'll fuck up six ways from Sunday.  

Honestly, thought it was a really good show this week. Don't think I skipped anything. 

I thought I'd hate MSK and the little mic time they've had has been annoying but they've been really entertaining in the ring and I love how strong they've been booked right off the bat. Really good match with LDF this week. They're one of those acts I imagine I would have no interest in if they were on the main roster but in NXT they work.

I'm on board with the Chinese comic book stuff. It's supernatural in wrestling done well. The Undertaker/Kane origin angle from back in the day was one of my favourite things in wrestling as a kid and this reminds me of that. Speaking of things that reminded me of the attitude era, the Gargano/Regal segment brought back memories of similar segments from back in the day too. Top stuff and this heel Gargano run continues to surprise me with how good it's been. 

Big Stonks Grimes should be something else. Count me in. 

I'm really enjoying Thatcher and Ciampa as two guys who just like to fight. I feel like that's one thing modern wrestling is missing - in the US anyway. 

I only got back into watching NXT again recently after tuning out at the beginning of the pandemic. I'd already been losing interest in the product and the empty arenas killed what was left. I've been impressed with the show though. Tyler Rust and Curt Stallion didn't do much for me but other than that it's been really enjoyable and has to be the product I'm enjoying the most right now. From what I've read I thought the general consensus was that NXT has continued to go downhill from its peak a few years ago but based on what I've seen since the end of last year that doesn't sound fair.

Edited by Tuna Boss

8 hours ago, Tuna Boss said:

From what I've read I thought the general consensus was that NXT has continued to go downhill from its peak a few years ago but based on what I've seen since the end of last year that doesn't sound fair.

The show has been generally good for the last 6-8 months. Most have just kind of moved on because they have AEW to fulfill the need NXT did on a bigger scale and/or have general issues with WWE which is understandable. The initial down period from covid wasn't great, but it was anything terrible either. 

• Like 1

NXT is as good now as it's been for most of its existence, it's just that its niche as the "big budget Indy" doesn't look as good against AEW's big-time modern wrestling as it did when lame-ass Raw/SD were the only other games in town.

I was pleasantly surprised they went all-in with GYV out-teamworking Thatcher/Ciampa in decisive fashion. Probably the only time a true midcard team has done that against two top singles stars in the last 25 years of WWE (at least without the singles guys turning on each other). Low-key one of the biggest swerves WWE has pulled off in a while.

Also Grimes doing a meme-stock twist on the rich-man gimmick is the most contemporary angle I've seen from WWE in a while too. Good to see someone other than New Day aware of pop culture.

I'm very ready for King Cuerno vs. White Rabbit next week. I hope Santos gets a good showing because he's pulling off the entitled Mexican royalty act way better than Almas. Not quite as well as Del Rio, but I think ADR was unfairly aided by being a genuine piece of shit.

Gargano is pretty great as a stoogy heel.

Nice video package for Balor/Dunne. Obvious filler match before Balor/Kross, but it felt like a big deal.

Is "2 teams trash-talking in front of the Dusty Cup" the new "pointing at the WM sign?" Seemed super forced, but overall a great show.