DVDVR Message Board

UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns (2/13/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Random purple belt submits multiple time BJJ and grappling world champion. MMA, ladies and gentlemen.

That was ridiculous, but I feel like we don't take into account the differences between grappling in a fight and grappling in a grappling tournament.  This probably isn't even the best example of this, because Viera was literally dead on his feet, but I could see a good purple belt who spends most of his jiu-jitsu practice training to fight tapping a world champion who trains for grappling tournaments.  With that said, I'm waiting for someone to really adapt a really high level modern jiu-jitsu game into MMA.  Most of what we see in the cage is pretty rudimentary.

30 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That was ridiculous, but I feel like we don't take into account the differences between grappling in a fight and grappling in a grappling tournament.  This probably isn't even the best example of this, because Viera was literally dead on his feet, but I could see a good purple belt who spends most of his jiu-jitsu practice training to fight tapping a world champion who trains for grappling tournaments.  With that said, I'm waiting for someone to really adapt a really high level modern jiu-jitsu game into MMA.  Most of what we see in the cage is pretty rudimentary.

It would take two fighters who are both super accomplished submission grapplers, but somehow it's where neither fighter is that much better than the other as a striker. I mean we just saw Mackenzie Dern vs. Virna Jandiroba, but Virna is so novice as a striker that she made Dern look like Katie Taylor. There was no need for Dern show her grappling prowess.

That was really encouraging for Gastelum because the fact he was so one dimensional was obviously catching up to him (and the weight class too of course). If he can keep people on their toes with the threat of a takedown that opens up the dreaded 1-2 way more than if opponents can just sit on that. 

lol, Grasso being very kind calling Barber technical. 

Edited by Jiji

11 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Maycee Barber with that Socially Distanced Style.

Yeah, she might need her depth perception checked.  With that said, Maycee Barber has all the things you want in a 22-year-old fighter.  Her physical talent, her toughness, her aggressiveness, and her fearlessness are all top notch...she just needs to get her skills up to par.  

Edited by supremebve

The crazy thing about Usman is that he may be the single best athlete in the UFC, but he won this fight because his technical acumen might be better than his athletic ability.  He got hurt early, and instead of going crazy and trying to do something spectacular to close the distance on the scorecards, he went back to basics and started throwing jabs.  That man is a problem.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

The crazy thing about Usman is that he may be the single best athlete in the UFC, but he won this fight because his technical acumen might be better than his athletic ability.  He got hurt early, and instead of going crazy and trying to do something spectacular to close the distance on the scorecards, he went back to basics and started throwing jabs.  That man is a problem.

I like him training with Wittman much more than when he was just solely down in South Florida. I felt like if Wittman could help Usman, who mainly was just a powerhouse wrestler, maximize his athleticism and convert some of it into better boxing ability like he did with Rose that he could be a legitimate champion.

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah it really peeves me when you see a fighter losing and continue doing the same thing the entire fight. The elite athletes are able to overcome that if something goes wrong with Plan A.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Kamaru Usman now has the most consecutive wins at welterweight in the UFC at 13. 

Impressive as Welterweight is one of the deepest MMA weight classes. Lightweight #1, has been for a decade I'd say. Those are my two favourite weight divisions in MMA.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Impressive as Welterweight is one of the deepest MMA weight classes. Lightweight #1 and has been for a decade I'd say.

Welterweight is a very stacked division, not as bloody as lightweight, but it is stacked and competitive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Did they really just say Adesanya isn't going to put on weight for LHW? That's incredible.

We are seeing some truly special athletes in this sport right now that just stand out above their peers.

We'll see how that plays out. I'm not sleeping on Blachowicz for that fight, much like Dominick Reyes did.

• Like 1