DVDVR Message Board

UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns (2/13/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EsmXqQDVEAApo9C.jpg?1611616097

UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns 
February 13, 2021
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Kamaru Usman © (170) vs. Gilbert Burns (170) (third defense) - Usman, TKO (punches), R3 (0:34)
Maycee Barber (126) vs. Alexa Grasso (125.5) - Grasso, DEC (unanimous)
Kelvin Gastelum (186) vs. Ian Heinsch (185.5) - Gastelum, DEC (unanimous)
Ricky Simón (145.5) vs. Brian Kelleher (145.5) - Simón, DEC (unanimous)
Maki Pitolo (185) vs. Julian Marquez (185) - Marquez, SUB (anaconda choke), R3 (4:17)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Rodolfo Vieira (186) vs. Anthony Hernandez (186) - Hernandez, SUB (modified guillotine choke), R2 (1:53)
Belal Muhammad (169.5) vs. Dhiego Lima (171) - Muhammad, DEC (unanimous)
Polyana Viana (116) vs. Mallory Martin (115.5) - Viana, SUB (armbar), R1 (3:18)
Andre Ewell (138.5) vs. Chris Gutiérrez (140) - Gutiérrez, DEC (unanimous) 

UFC Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Gabriel Green (169.5) vs. Philip Rowe (171) - Green, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Polyana Viana
Performance of the Night: Anthony Hernandez
Performance of the Night: Julian Marquez
Performance of the Night: Kamaru Usman

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Kamaru Usman vs. Gibert Burns fight to see who gets to be the next man to break Colby Covington's jaw again.  I love it!

I still need a little more convincing that Durinho is really at an elite level for 170. He's performed very well when he's had to, but at the same time, he hasn't had to fight a murderer's row to get here. Usman has legitimately solidified himself as the class of the division. I think if Durinho had fought a Leon Edwards or even Covington to get here, I would say he would be at this time the 2nd best guy at 170. As is, I think it's Usman, Covington, and a bunch of guys who could qualify for third probably. Covington hung in there with Usman good enough and had other performances where he's at least earned to right to say he's a worthy title challenger for the time being.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going with Usman in all of his fights until somebody beats him. He's able to be gotten to on the feet but his ability to smother, clinch, takedown, and control his opponents is pretty much unparalleled beyond GOATed Khabib. 

Looking at the rest of the card and man did they really load up 259 at the expense of this one (I know it's not that simple but wow what a stark contrast). 

Edited by Jiji

My major fear for Usman is if he tries to run back the kickboxing style he used against Colby, as Burns actually has power unlike Covington. While Usman has a good chin and great recuperative ability, Burns could jump on something should he stun Usman. It's boring, but Usman's best and safest strategy is to grind out Burns along the cage. This is true of all of his fights of course. The vivisection guys brought up Burns' list of opponents and how none of them have been effective pressure fighters and pressure is Usman's specialty. So much points towards Usman but of course Burns is the more fluid striker and of course is dangerous on the ground so it's not as if he doesn't have avenues. 

• Like 2