DVDVR Message Board

Venture Bros Thread of Greatness (and everything else AS)

Brock Samson

I thoroughly enjoyed this season but last night's episode didn't really feel like a season's ending type of episode, more like the last episode before a mid-season break.

See you in a couple of years. :(

I'm assuming it became a season finale when Cartoon Network realized it would take them until 2018 to finish the back half of the season and said "Just give us what you got."

Last night I started watching Season 6. I know, I' way behind, but I just wanted to say that a storyline based on the red ball from the Duran Duran video was possibly the funniest thing I've seen all year.

I thoroughly enjoyed this season but last night's episode didn't really feel like a season's ending type of episode, more like the last episode before a mid-season break.

See you in a couple of years. :(

Pretty much this. And on-the-nose "parodies" of Saw and Taken, really? I liked the episode, I never don't like this show, but last night's show felt campier than usual and with many more old tired jokes. "LOL, the security guard has a flashlight instead of a gun!" is not the level of wit that I've come to expect from this program.

Just finished watching the episode.  I liked the ep, but, at the glacial pace this show moves, it's going to be 2021 before we get a payoff to the Monarch/Rusty Venture resemblance.

I realized tonight that I'm not invested in anything involving the Ventures and Brock anymore.  I really want more of the Monarch and Gary/Blue Morpho stuff.  When the hell did that happen?

Oh, and I stand by my earlier comment (made before I saw the ep).  Nothing about that felt like a season finale, so I'm guessing it's a case of the creators getting so far behind deadline (again, sigh) that CN just took whatever they had ready.

This might've been the first episode of the series I borderline disliked.  Not that I thought it was terrible, but I was let down by Hammer and Publik doing a riff on Saw and the payoff to that gag.  Not to mention by Red Death basically copying Liam Neeson's Taken monologue word for word.  I mean Taken is seven years old at this point.  I love Clancy Brown, and I think Red Death is a fun character for him.  However, doing a Taken monologue joke in 2016 is sort of like when Madagascar 3 pulled "NUKULAR" out of the mothballs.  Or like someone saying, "You are the weakest link, goodbye."  Or having someone respond to "This is Madness" with "This is Sparta!" 

Venture Bros. has reached a couple points I thought could've been suitable endings for the show, now it seems like it's searching for a big payoff it can't really get to.  

On 3/22/2016 at 11:40 PM, TheVileOne said:

This might've been the first episode of the series I borderline disliked.  Not that I thought it was terrible, but I was let down by Hammer and Publik doing a riff on Saw and the payoff to that gag.  Not to mention by Red Death basically copying Liam Neeson's Taken monologue word for word.  I mean Taken is seven years old at this point.  I love Clancy Brown, and I think Red Death is a fun character for him.  However, doing a Taken monologue joke in 2016 is sort of like when Madagascar 3 pulled "NUKULAR" out of the mothballs.  Or like someone saying, "You are the weakest link, goodbye."  Or having someone respond to "This is Madness" with "This is Sparta!" 

Venture Bros. has reached a couple points I thought could've been suitable endings for the show, now it seems like it's searching for a big payoff it can't really get to.  

I'm  rewatching the entire series again and it's not like using tired jokes is completely foreign to the show. They were doing Monica Lewinski jokes in 2006.

Finally caught the finale. I enjoyed it parodies and all even if said parodies were dated. Really though it was Red Death/Clancy Brown in general that made it. This definitely felt like an episode right before something big so I'm thinking Vic is on the money about CN just wanting them to get out some episodes already.

I'm just finishing up season four of my re-watch and I don't think there's an easier show to go through than Venture Bros. It's so lovable and easily digestible. And watching in short order means you can actually catch the absurd amount of call-backs to earlier episodes without forgetting because seasons come out once every 2.5 years or so.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It airs tomorrow. I saw the online leak of the third part of the three eps(7 more this season), it confirms a lot of shit people have thought for awhile about various things. You'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't even get why the Guild is around anymore.

This is why wages stagnate and people keep getting more and more work shoveled onto them.  Unions are insurance for the good times AND bad.

29 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

This is why wages stagnate and people keep getting more and more work shoveled onto them.  Unions are insurance for the good times AND bad.

Damn, now I'm furious that no one has written a "Venture Bros as critique of capitalism" article yet.

Episode four was great and was the actual real start of the season. Way to automatically assume the girl is going after Dean, she's an adult, they can be friends. He's just an awkward idiot.

• Thanks 1