DVDVR Message Board

Venture Bros Thread of Greatness (and everything else AS)

Brock Samson

No one has restarted this thread?  Seriously?  Ok, then.  Venture Bros S5 chatter goes here.  Maybe all other comments on Adult Swim too.

VB killed it last week while the board was down.  For me, anyway, easily outdid the OSI episode from the previous week (though that was rather great too),. I was in the camp of "shoulda ended after season 4", but this season has been fun so far.  Only complaint I have is that I prefer the older characters they don't focus on anymore to the newer characters.  Brock not appearing overmuch and Sgt. Hatred appearing a lot saddens me.  Same with the Monarch,  Seems like they've run out of things to do with him.  Not really that interested in Dylan either, though I can see how he adds to the story,

Anyway, new ep tonight.  Comment away.  Is there anything else on AS right now worth getting into?

For me...No, nothing on AS other than VB is really worthwhile, unless I am missing the boat somehwere.

SPANAKOPITA is my favorite VB S5 ep still, but the last 2 were strong and next week's looks strong as well.

Does anyone get the feeling that Gary's Viceroy character will come to the Monarch's rescue this season sometime?

I've tried to get some friends who like Archer to watch VB, but the first season is really hard to get through. The show didn't start to really connect the dots until season 2.

Eh, I can understand that position, but, for me, season 1 is easily my favorite season.

I haven't gone back and watched it, though.  Probably going to rewatch s1-4 at some point this summer or fall (I own the season box sets).  Maybe it won't hold up on re-watch.

Yeah that was another of those classic Venture Bros episodes that's going to take multiple viewings to really appreciate everything. All sorts of awesome, what the fuck moments, even before Doc has a disco ball dropped on him and then however you explain the post-credits scene. Any nagging doubts about whether they should have come back for another season are totally gone for me at this point. Just glad to still be along for the ride.

No, this is it. It's technically 8.5 since the premiere was double-length and they include the Halloween episode. They're apparently going to get Season 6 done as quick as they can, so there's not going to be as long of a wait. Next year I would hope.

It's all too fleeting. I suppose I should just be glad there's a season 6. Next week does seem like a lot of fun at least. 

Vic and I had been talking about what the eventual reveal of the mother would be and I think at this point we have a bit of a Chekhov's gun issue. I do hope they don't just give us something hugely disappointing as an inversion. That's one of the themes of the show, absolutely, but i feel in this case it'd be almost too predictable. 

This is quickly becoming my favorite season of Venture Brothers. They've done a great job juggling the mix of stories between the boys, Doc, and the OSI.  

Warburton does an absolutely amazing job as Brock.  I cracked up when he described how he got the Fruit Bat costume.

Fun final episode of season 5 which felt more like a mid-season finale. They pretty much said the Season 6 premiere was more like the real finale. They're writing it right now, so who knows how long that's going to take.

What was it you didn't like Vic? I was happy with it, although the whole season did feel like a bit of a tease. I really hope season 6 is back to a normal amount of episodes, and not split into halves or anything like that. The one hour episodes have been pretty cool but in the long run I'd rather have a full season of normal episodes.

I watched it a second time and it was not bad. I mean even bad Venture Brothers is good. In general it felt very slapdash for the final episode of the season. Like there were teases that were never paid off. Which would not matter if this were not the last episode of the season. Or having to wait another decade for season 6. On the plus side it had some great laughs and I love getting a closer look at Col.Gentleman's insanity. 

The writing order may have something to do with it being weird feeling. The episode they actually wrote last was the premiere, so that's odd.

• 1 year later...