DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

New She-Ra design dropped today and a bunch of grown men got mad because a cartoon for young girls isn't designed for them to jack off too.

I really hate toxic nerd dudes, guys.

didn't know they were making a new She-Ra cartoon.

checked it out after this post. i will definitely say that i'm not a fan of the animation style but the costume seems fine. didn't plan on jacking off to it one way or the other, so sorry if this bursts your narrative.

There's a new She-Ra series on Netflix in November.  It's being profiled in this week's Comicon Entertainment Weekly.

The animation style looks great, but the costume looks a little too Voltron-y to me (although that's based on two still images, where the design is different in each) I think it's the giant shoulder flares.

Some loud amplified-by-media voices on the internet sure are the worst.

I'm convinced we haven't had solid American animation design since Cartoon Network rolled out all of their original stuff in the mid-90s and made everything look cheap, but I'm an aestheticist.

That said, it's a perfectly fine 2018 design. Horrible people are mainly bitching about the face. I'm not convinced it'd sell a ton of dolls but I'm also not convinced a Netflix show is meant to. If it's good, and it should be, it'll draw eyes. I'm looking forward to tossing it at the 6 year old.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:32 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Hush is being adapted into a DC animated movie. Which should be pretty. And vapid and such.

Christ I wish they'd have done Long Halloween instead.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:30 PM, Eivion said:

I like Hush so I'm looking forward to it though I definitely would have still preferred a Long Halloween adaption.

I've wanted Batman: The Long Halloween turned into an animated adaptation as well.

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

VRV Select continues to acquire weird, lovely things no other streaming service would touch. As of this past weekend, Thundercats 2.0 is on there in its entirety.

The Cartoon Network reboot from like a decade ago? That was good shit

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Cartoon Network reboot from like a decade ago? That was good shit

That's the one (and it fucking hurts to realize that was like 2010). In the past 2 months they've added Freakazoid, a bunch of stuff Animeigo holds total US rights to (BGC, Riding Bean, Vampire Princess Miyu), the Night Flight dub of Dynaman and a Night Flight-produced documentary about animation in music video.  They also added Road Rovers and the Ruby-Spears Dragon's Lair cartoon, but they can't all be winners.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just watched the first episode of Justice League Action and I loved it. I can't wait to show this to my little nephew . He already loves Batman :TAS, and I know he'll love this.

It's a really fun show that I wish I'd done a better job of keeping up with before I dumped cable.  It's a great midpoint between Teen Titans Go and the Timm/Dini shows.  That said, I've been wanting Matt Frewer to voice Plas in a cartoon for 25 years and I'm always gonna be bitter when a voice director picks someone else, even as I recognize that Kenny on BatB and Snyder on JLAction both did good jobs.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, odessasteps said:

I wish the Boomerang app was more comprehensive. Not enough of what I wanted to renew my sub. 

I just got an e-mail survey from Boomerang asking for content requests.  Haven't looked into it yet, anything specific you'd like me to mention there?

Lol, the survey was only like four questions and it centered around new content with new characters, new content with classic characters, full length movies, or classic content(2000 or before).  There wasn't even a place to list any specific shows or anything.  I went with classic content everywhere I could, my 9 year old loves watching the classic Looney Tunes and the older HB stuff that is on there, I'm sure she'd like more of that as well.  I don't think she's cared for a single "newer" program she's tried on there.

Sat down and watched Death Of Superman and found it to be like most of the Nu52 inspired animated features... just kinda ok. I did like them borrowing from Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite when dealing with the Lois/Clark relationship. This Justice League line-up really needs Guy Gardner in there instead of Hal though (which leads me to believe the "Guy Green Lantern endorses Eradicator" story hook will be glossed over in RotS). Still I'm super emotional since my dad passe last month an I shed tears having to watch Superman die. That's all I have to say about that

James