DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

got to sit down and watch Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders tonight. it is glorious for a '60s Bat-fan like myself.

was a bit disappointed that we didn't hear "atomic batteries to power. turbines to speed". but oh well.

also was waiting for a window cameo and was let down without it.

loved that a bunch of the forgotten tv show villains got an appearance. King Tut remains my personal fave.

in the proposed sequel i would like to see Batgirl make an appearance.

• Like 2

Finally caught the Killing Joke tonight. The actual Killing Joke story was good. The Batgirl stuff before it was bad. Barbara wasn't particularly likable and it didn't really add much to the main feature. Not sure why Timm thought to go this way other than his obsession with shipping Bruce & Barbara. A story leading to the beginnings of Oracle as a second feature would have been better and made more sense.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I've watched about eight episodes of Justice League Action and it's a lot of fun so far. The shorter episodes lend themselves well to brisk, action packed rides. So far the best is easily the Patton Oswalt Space Cabby one but there's a few other gems and hearing Mark Hamill as the Joker is always a good time.

It will never not be weird seeing John Constantine on a children's cartoon though.

EDIT: The fighting game ep (with Ken Jeong as Toyman!) has some great Easter Eggs. 

The Wonder Woman alt costumes being her current DCAU Film one, Golden Age, 70s TV pilot, and one I didn't recognize was a blast, as was the Batmobiles with the 66 one being used.

Also really enjoyed the time travel one with Batman and Blue Beetle, particularly for the Batman TAS homage/theme. 

Overall the show is a really fun ten minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the second season Voltron. Until the last few minutes of the last episode I honestly thought this was rushed as they seemed to really be heading towards the finish with so many questions unanswered and depths not reached. With that worry gone I can judge a bit more fairly. It feels like they realized some of their weaknesses from the first season. Lance, Hunk, & Pidge still had their moments but got less focus and way less dumb moments while Keith got a lot more development after getting practically none the first season. Shiro & Allura both stayed solid development wise, and Coran was more or less the same which I like. I do think in their attempt to get a big ending they did screw up with the Blade of Marmora. They might be an interesting concept, but they really didn't take any time to truly explore the group. Hopefully if there is another season they can get more episodes to do some actual world building and setup. The lack of it has been the show's biggest weakness. Overall a solid follow up to the first season.