DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Adult Swim is pulling some April Fool's shit this morning and I happened to just see a new episode of Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal. That's a lowkey really good series about a caveman and T-Rex as buddies trying to survive extinction, with no dialogue. This episode was pretty wild with a giant dinosaur apparently contracting an illness (heh) that drives it mad so it chases them down a chasm into a lava pit after puking blood and massacring all of its buddies. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I've been on a GI Joe kick this week, and this morning I watched RESOLUTE for the first time since it aired on Adult Swim.  Thoughts:

1) the action scenes are amazing, especially the ones with Snake Eyes and Tunnel Rat

2) Warren Ellis's script has crotched itself on the thin line between stupid and clever and fallen onto the stupid side

3) in spite of this, Duke and Scarlett's last six minutes is actually kind of charming

4) I am very very glad we no longer live in a world where Steve Blum gets asked to voice nonwhite characters because his Roadblock is borderline offensive.

5) it's weird in a show so bloody and with a death toll in the millions that only one named Joe actually dies (there are a lot of unnamed characters who don't make it)

6) pretty much any two-parter of the 80s series feels more grown up than this "grown up GI Joe"

• Like 2

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I think Warren Ellis can be a talented writer under the right circumstances but his writing and dialogue have now ruined Castlevania for me. 

I think he needs someone above him to reel in his usual tropes. I presume that happened with his Justice League episode.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think he needs someone above him to reel in his usual tropes. I presume that happened with his Justice League episode.

That's the gray goo ep, right? All I remember about kt is that Ray Palmer saves the day after riding in Diana's cleavage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I've read practically none of his comics, but based on his animation work this seems accurate.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I've been on a GI Joe kick this week, and this morning I watched RESOLUTE for the first time since it aired on Adult Swim.  Thoughts:

1) the action scenes are amazing, especially the ones with Snake Eyes and Tunnel Rat

2) Warren Ellis's script has crotched itself on the thin line between stupid and clever and fallen onto the stupid side

3) in spite of this, Duke and Scarlett's last six minutes is actually kind of charming

4) I am very very glad we no longer live in a world where Steve Blum gets asked to voice nonwhite characters because his Roadblock is borderline offensive.

5) it's weird in a show so bloody and with a death toll in the millions that only one named Joe actually dies (there are a lot of unnamed characters who don't make it)

6) pretty much any two-parter of the 80s series feels more grown up than this "grown up GI Joe"

Warren Ellis wrote Resolute?  I'm not a fan, but I do usually give his stuff a chance.  Though I vaguely remember watching the first episode or two and thinking they were kinda bad.

After yesterdays episode of Ducktales what other 90's Disney shows they can sneak in. Only 3 episodes into the latest season and we already got two nice surprises. Still hoping FOWL being the focus of the season means we get more DW.

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

After yesterdays episode of Ducktales what other 90's Disney shows they can sneak in. Only 3 episodes into the latest season and we already got two nice surprises. Still hoping FOWL being the focus of the season means we get more DW.

You saw the poster right?

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So nice. Wonder if that girl next to DW is the new Gosalyn.

My understanding is yes but not how we think. 

That's also a fake Wuzzle up top. I'm curious how they work Daisy in. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Would Mortal Kombat Legends Revenge of Scorpion go here? I enjoyed so much of it but holy hell was lots of the voice acting just wretched.

So this is a WB animated film BUT its gory as fuck with enough profanity that its absolutely not for kids. Take the fatalities of the more recent games or basically imagine Eli Roth slumming and making an animated movie based on Kombat and that gives an idea of the violence and gore portion.

For voices they've got Debra from Dexter as Sonya Blade (damn did she phone it in, I had no clue it was her as the lines were so cheesy and just "how many more lines left? Just pay me and let's wrap!" level of uninspired) and Joel McHale as Cage I think? Thankfully he delivered some lines like he gave a shit but for the most part its flat which is genius if his voice acting was a shot at how Johnny Cage would talk if he was a real person? 

Now the movie itself, dumbed down voice acting aside, I thought was very solid. It's a reboot of sorts of the first live action movie with some lines and scenes directly lifted from that movie BUT theres so much more backstory fleshed out with some decent subplots. We get the gist of the Scorpion vs Sub Zero backstory, Scorpion having a trip to the Nether Realm where Quan Chi signs him up for vengeance, and then theres the heroic trio of Liu and Sonya and Cage all showing up on a boat and Cage being himself from the live action version with some funny gags.

Theres a TON of characters from the Kombat story that pop up at the feast Shang Tsung throws, just like in the live action version. This scene was like a Mos Eisley cantina scene with all the races and creatures and cameos(!).

As a reboot of sorts it was really great and absolutely lived up to the reputation of carnage and violence that the games always had. To quote Raiden Mortal Kombat isn't about death, but life and I hope this injects life into more animated films from WB on the Kombat universe. So much I appreciated, that the nitpicks about any subplots with Cage and Blade, are easily removed and almost forgotten. 

Does anyone know anything about DC's animated Harley Quinn series airing on SYFY?  I'm watching a bit of the Battlestar Galactica marathon and a commercial came on for Harley Quinn.  Fairly certain they said the show is going to re-air on SyFy but I didn't catch the date and time.

Edit: Found the answer on Twitter.  For anyone interested, SyFy is going to rebroadcast the entire season on Sunday nights in May.  Multiple eps. will air each Sunday beginning at 11 pm.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 4/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, Hayabusa said:

Would Mortal Kombat Legends Revenge of Scorpion go here? I enjoyed so much of it but holy hell was lots of the voice acting just wretched.

i didn't even know this was a thing until last week. i watched it ASAP and thoroughly loved it. i can understand your voice acting complaint and i don't disagree, but it never bothered me.

x2 on the violence and gore. my wife left the room because it was too much for her.

if you are a MK fan you will love this.

• Like 1