DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Been bouncing around between Clone Wars and Static Shock for bus viewing now that I finished Jojo S2.  Static really makes me want to spend a stupid amount of money to just read all of 90s Milestone.  Clone Wars is fun but inessential.  That said, the "3PO and Jar Jar are in over their heads" episode is REALLY fun and raised my opiinion of Jar Jar to "he's like Tom Arnold, generally unpleasant but awesome when you play to his strengths"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished S7 of RWBY. S7 was reminiscent of S6 in that it left me fairly annoyed with the heroes. The writing has given them an amazing level of arrogance in morality. S6 was bad enough with the drama being focused on them learning info that really changed their journey in no real shape or form other than their fuck Oz stance which was dumb and a little ass backwards since they were the ones peaking into his personal life. Meanwhile with their refusal to see any sort of big picture this time they have managed to leave an entire kingdom completely fucked over. I would like to think a lesson would be learned here, but the way the writing plays out really makes me wonder if the creative team behind this even realizes how they are writing them. Its a pity I have trouble dropping shit once I get this far in, but I can't say I don't enjoy it at all. Its just that the bad sticks out a little strongly at times.

Edited by Eivion

• 2 weeks later...

For less than $60, I managed to get the Batman: The Animated Series (Blu-ray), Superman: The Animated Series (DVD) and Justice League (DVD). Two from eBay, one from a local shop that has a little bit of everything. Pretty psyched about that. The only one that was brand new was Batman - from eBay - and the other two were used purchases.

I'm now going down a dangerous hole of getting the Marvel animated shows from the 90s. I've seen a Spider-Man boxset from overseas, but I don't have a region free player. Some unofficial blu-rays of the series on eBay too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

For less than $60, I managed to get the Batman: The Animated Series (Blu-ray), Superman: The Animated Series (DVD) and Justice League (DVD). Two from eBay, one from a local shop that has a little bit of everything. Pretty psyched about that. The only one that was brand new was Batman - from eBay - and the other two were used purchases.

I'm now going down a dangerous hole of getting the Marvel animated shows from the 90s. I've seen a Spider-Man boxset from overseas, but I don't have a region free player. Some unofficial blu-rays of the series on eBay too.

Marvel 90s cartoons had decent shows but great action figures. I mean, we got modok and fin fang foom, amongs tothers.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Marvel 90s cartoons had decent shows but great action figures. I mean, we got modok and fin fang foom, amongs tothers.

Speaking of action figures - that local shop I mentioned had a Thanos w/ Death figure from Diamond Select, so I went ahead and picked that up the other day when I went back. First figure I've ever bought myself, believe it or not (until the AEW ones are released, anyway).

But I mainly want the Marvel 90s cartoons because they're nostalgic as hell for me.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I've seen a Spider-Man boxset from overseas, but I don't have a region free player. Some unofficial blu-rays of the series on eBay too.

a straight tragedy this never got released in the States. very much wish it had a place on my movie shelf.

nice pickups, BTW. have all 3 on dvd and they get plenty of use. Batman in particular is an all-time great series. 

• Like 2

I decided to take my chances and bought a bootleg blu-ray of the Spider-Man series that’s been remastered in HD. We’ll see how that turns out.

And I know it’s not particularly good or anything - but I got the Fantastic Four series for $8.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Be good to get your take on the beloved Batman: The Animated Series. Hope it lives up to that for you.