DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

So the old thread went from "DCAU" to "DCAU plus Marvel cartoons plus Transformers plus basically everything but Avatar, which stayed in the anime forum for whatever reason" pretty quickly and this seemed like a more descriptive name to me (though in the spirit of comics and their other-media derivatives, it would not surprise me to see nostalgia win out and "The DCAU Thread" to crush this one to jelly).  I really only have one thing to say, after finally watching a few episodes of the Wing Commander box set I bought last year:

Man, what did I love about this show so much?  Sure, it's better than the other USA Network originals, (Mortal Kombat, Savage Dragon and Street Fighter) but that's damning with praise so faint it might be mistaken for dead.  Some sick, masochistic part of me would kind of like to see all four parts of the Warrior King crossthrough though.

Is Av Assemble as bad as I've heard? I won't see it til it hits Netflix, but it sounds like even the diehard USM fans are shitting on it.

I'm watching Batman: The Brave and The Bold through Netflix streaming right now.  It's great, love the non-ironic cheesy humor and seeing all these heroes/villains that are new to me.  I haven't gotten to the Music Meister show yet.  The Bat-Mite episode, however, was ACES!

• Like 2

I REALLY wish that they'd add the rest of the series, as I never got to see the final season.  I think my favorite first season eps are probably "Menace of the Music Meister" and "Journey to the Center of the Bat."  It was a huge mistake to not revamp Aquaman to be more like the cartoon.

• Like 1

The DCAU and comic book animations was one of my favourite threads and I figure it will be again.

Batman: The Animated Series is the best cartoon based on a comic book and the best TV series of all time.

The Spectacular Spider-Man is easily the best adaptation of the source material be it film or TV. I miss that series. Just wish the UK where I live would get Season One in a box set like you can in America and Season Two on DVD. Sucks we don't.

The first 2 eps of Avengers Assemble were mediocre at best.  Not as bad as USM (looking forward to y'alls reaction to that horrific deadpool ep), but not good either.

I think Beware.. starts tomorrow.

Any feedback from anyone on the Go Titans toon?  I've already taken it off of my DVR.

Marvel are the best when it comes to putting out live action films with various characters compared to DC. DC have the upper hand on Marvel when it comes to animation. Sucks when Marvel produce something which rivals DC's output, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble, they get the axe.

Marvel are the best when it comes to putting out live action films with various characters compared to DC. DC have the upper hand on Marvel when it comes to animation. Sucks when Marvel produce something which rivals DC's output, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble, they get the axe.

I know this was just a brain fart, but you meant Avengers:EMH...right?

• Like 1

Marvel's insistence on canonizing a few voice actors who MUST play those characters in every adaptation bothers me. Nolan north, Fred Tatasciore and Steve Blum are all very talented guys and I don't begrudge them continuing to get paycheck s (though I may be the one person on Earth who preferred John Kassir as Deadpool) but I don't understand what any of them brings to that role that makes them irreplaceable, while say Brian Bloom or Josh Keaton get rotated out when one show ends and another starts. And yes, I recognize the irony given that I was the one who always defended Warner's decision to keep recasting Batman and the Joker. I think I am more bothered by the fact that a few characters have "official" go to guys and others don't than the fact that Troy Baker is suddenly Cap.

I watched the Warrior King crossover on the internets a couple of years ago.  Guy had a page devoted to it with the episodes available.  Such a strange crossover.  It's not fresh in my mind but seemed like the character wasn't consistent between shows and only had a blink and you'll miss him cameo in the Mortal Kombat episode.

Only saw the second episode of Avengers Assemble and didn't think it was bad.  Just seemed like EMH but with movie costumes but I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think EMH was anything better than average.

Ultimate Spider-Man is awful.  It's not just the fourth wall breaking bad comedy interludes but the way the character is portrayed is just such a turn off.

I really like Teen Titans Go!  It is what it is visually but the dark humor is a real pleasant surprise.

I watched the Warrior King crossover on the internets a couple of years ago.  Guy had a page devoted to it with the episodes available.  Such a strange crossover.  It's not fresh in my mind but seemed like the character wasn't consistent between shows and only had a blink and you'll miss him cameo in the Mortal Kombat episode.

Only saw the second episode of Avengers Assemble and didn't think it was bad.  Just seemed like EMH but with movie costumes but I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think EMH was anything better than average.

Ultimate Spider-Man is awful.  It's not just the fourth wall breaking bad comedy interludes but the way the character is portrayed is just such a turn off.

I really like Teen Titans Go!  It is what it is visually but the dark humor is a real pleasant surprise.

I find Assemble to be fairly milquetoastish.  I'm not impressed  by any part of it at all.  I can't say enough bad crap aboot USM.

Yeah, I noticed that there were 102 episodes made, but only 40 are on Netflix.  Bummer.  I just watched the Tornado Tyrant ep, and legit cried at the end.  The show has more emotion than I realized.

Where'd you get the information about 102 episodes?

Did I miss a season?

Wikipedia only shows 3 seasons at 65 eps of Batman: Brave and the Bold.

Ack, maybe I read it wrong on Netflix streaming.  That is more than possible.

No biggie.

I enjoyed the appearances by The Outsiders, Red Tornado, and Dead Man the most.

I breezed through the series back when it was being broadcast, but haven't rewatched any episodes since.

Love the format of the show with the teaser intro.

I just watched the BTAS episode Perchance to Dream for the first time in a few years, and something new occured to me on this viewing. This episode is basically making the case that the best thing that ever happened in Bruce Wayne's life was his parents murder. Without the death of his parents, Bruce would be trapped in a pampered, futile existence where the character he plays as Batman's alter ego would actually be the real Bruce Wayne. There is one scene where he's playing with a pen by himself in his office, before Selina comes in and he has to pretend like he's reading some papers in his briefcase, that particularly hammers this home.

Holy crap, this week's episode of TTGo "Tower Power" was absolutely hilarious.

It perfectly encapsulates what it's like to work with younger people who don't get your references.  Definitely seek it out.