DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess this is the place for it. I vaguely recall watching the Batman animated show in the 90s when I was a kid (was more into the X-Men & Spider-Man shows), but now that they have the entire series on blu-ray... is it worth it? I can get just the complete series+two movies (minus the extras like the mini Funkos, artwork, etc, which I care nothing about) for around $30, so yay or nay?

FUCK YES! Batman: The Animated Series is a must see. The best comic book animated series ever. When I think of Batman, to me, that's Batman: The Animated Series.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

FUCK YES! Batman: The Animated Series is a must see. The best comic book animated series ever. When I think of Batman, to me, that's Batman: The Animated Series.

co-signed.

i also love the X-Men animated series and own it all on dvd. Liked Spidey well enough and still pine for a complete dvd release.

• Like 1

Batman: The Animated Series is awesome and holds up very well because it has sort of a vaguely 1940s feel.  It was like they made it as a period piece so that 20+ years in the future it will feel like it did when it was released.  It kind of feels current, because it never felt current if that makes any sense.  I absolutely love the show, and I'd probably call it the best comic book animated series ever.  I need to rewatch Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, but they don't hold the same place in my memory as Batman: The Animated Series.  Young Justice should be in consideration as well.

Do people really think the 90s X-Men series was good?  I loved it as a kid, but when I tried to rewatch it, I found it to be bad...like almost unwatchably bad.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Batman: The Animated Series is awesome and holds up very well because it has sort of a vaguely 1940s feel.  It was like they made it as a period piece so that 20+ years in the future it will feel like it did when it was released.  It kind of feels current, because it never felt current if that makes any sense.  I absolutely love the show, and I'd probably call it the best comic book animated series ever.

Agreed... it's as close to timeless as you're ever going to find with a superhero cartoon. It helps when you have that phenomenal voice cast, to speak nothing of the mammoth WB orchestra and its countless earworms.

• Like 1

If you can track it down online, cinefastique did a great issue back in the day about BTAS, including a deep dive on the "dark deco" art style.

And yes, like so many things, I wrote a paper in grad school on BTAS for my film noir class. 

Pryde of The X-Men of course being #1 and the best!
I always appreciated the irony of Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine when back in the day people complained about Australian Wolverine in PoTXM and SM&HAMF

James

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Do people really think the 90s X-Men series was good?  I loved it as a kid, but when I tried to rewatch it, I found it to be bad...like almost unwatchably bad.

Parts of it are really bad. Parts of its are decent. A few parts of it are even good. Its not a good show overall, but its the show that made me fall in love with the X-men in the first place so it has a special place in my heart. I imagine I'm not alone in that. It also seemingly has the best version of Apocalypse.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

the X-Men animated series voices ARE the characters' voices IMO.

the tropes are laughably bad (storm/jean ALWAYS falling out of the sky is the one that always sticks out to me) but it made me love the characters, even the villains. Sinister is creepy AF, Omega Red looks like a badass but never lives up to it, Magneto at times feels like the world enemy he is, etc. Also, Morph rules and i wish he was an actual thing in the comics canon.

TLDR: x-men has its flaws but the highs outweigh the lows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If you can track it down online, cinefastique did a great issue back in the day about BTAS, including a deep dive on the "dark deco" art style.

And yes, like so many things, I wrote a paper in grad school on BTAS for my film noir class. 

I had that thing and loved it to death. It was part of a series that also included the 60s TV show (may have even been the same issue).

Justice League vs the Fatal Five was good. Felt like an extended episode of JLU and that's not a bad thing. 

We actually got to see Mr. Terrific and the T-Spheres in action, which I was happy about. 

Overall good story though I would've liked to have had better villains since we already saw the Fatal Five in a previous episode of the JLU, which I believe was set in the same universe right? 

• 3 weeks later...

Would have rather seen them do Knightfall as a companion to Desth of Superman/Reign of the Supermen. Hopefully this will fall into the "better than the source material" pile with Public Enemies and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

I liked Hush. I would be more hopeful for something good if  Timm was involved, but Death of Superman is the only one of these the current people running the show have really done well. Honestly Knightfall if ever done should be an actual series. It and several of the other big Batman stories (No Man's Land, Long Halloween, Dark Victory) would be better served running through a tv/streaming series.

I wanted Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: The Killing Joke as animated films though less said about the last one, the better. My other two? The Long Halloween and Knightfall.