DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

On 8/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, Eivion said:

Watched Teen Titans Go movie with my older brother and our nephew earlier today. Loved every bit of it.

Teen Titans Go To The Movies came out on DVD this Monday so I picked it up. I thought it was great. This film put a smile on my face, consistently funny with catchy songs, nods to other comic books, THAT cameo and THAT Back in Time montage.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the last season of Voltron. Thought the season on the whole was generally solid, but I can't help but feel the ending and even Honerva as the big bad for the season didn't completely work. It felt a bit off and maybe even unearned. I think that its weird how they built up that whatever Honerva and Zarkon found years ago pretty clearly corrupted their very minds and souls, but never properly expanded upon that. I think this hurt even more when they revealed that wasn't Honerva remotely of her right mind for literal 10,000 years having had her memory wiped and been used as a weapon by her own husband. I don't know it feels like they wanted a tragic story for Zarkon, Honerva, and Lotor, but never really worked out the finer details for any of them along with not really offering any sort of decent redemption for at least one of them. It all feels a bit too similar and kind of worse of  with none of them really hitting out of the ballpark.

On the whole the series wasn't bad, but I really feel like the only season they did fully well was the 7th season focusing on Earth's invasion and subsequent rebellion. Everything else felt like a mixed bag with some occasional good high points but also decent low points and general issues with plotting. Despite knowing how many episodes they had, it definitely feels like they didn't really have a full game plan for what they wanted. I think it caused them to go too slowly early on and later rush or semi-ignore some of stuff built up so they could focus on bigger endgames.

• Like 1

I could have sworn the last season was going to be the end as it reached a logical conclusion with them rebuilding Earth at the end. I'd also thought those new characters they introduced would end up being the vehicle Voltron team, but went with the new battleship turning into the Gundam type mech instead. This last season was alright, but felt really tacked on. I'm all for a complex storyline but I think the plot got a bit too esoteric and ambitious for it's own good this season.

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I could have sworn the last season was going to be the end as it reached a logical conclusion with them rebuilding Earth at the end. I'd also thought those new characters they introduced would end up being the vehicle Voltron team, but went with the new battleship turning into the Gundam type mech instead. This last season was alright, but felt really tacked on. I'm all for a complex storyline but I think the plot got a bit too esoteric and ambitious for it's own good this season.

I agree about the plot getting too ambitious. Its annoys me because I feel like there was a better story just focusing on defeating and reforming the Galra that at some point they just said fuck that, and went with something beyond their capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/13 and 1/14, Fathom and DC are running a double feature of Death of Superman and the new Reign of the Supermen.  I'm half thinking about going; I haven't been a huge fan of the post-Justice League War features but Steel and Kon on the big screen are a big lure.

13 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

On 1/13 and 1/14, Fathom and DC are running a double feature of Death of Superman and the new Reign of the Supermen.  I'm half thinking about going; I haven't been a huge fan of the post-Justice League War features but Steel and Kon on the big screen are a big lure.

Death of Superman was actually good so I suggest going. It and Constantine were the first films I've really dug from the New52 inspired movieverse.

So I did the Superman double feature today.  Theater was about 2/3 full (one of the smaller screening rooms with a capacity of 90 so about 60), mostly families with kids and older comics dorks (though not THAT dorky, as I was literally the only person who laughed at Clark's parents making jokes at Lori LeMaris's expense).

I'm really glad I went, both movies were really fun and the big climactic fights were better for being seen on a big screen.  Observations from someone who hasn't seen any of the "continuity" movies since Throne of Atlantis:

1) Death of Superman is perfectly paced, and the fight is just fucking BRUTAL.  Reign isn't as well-paced because they're trying to squeeze all the best bits of basically a full year of weekly comics into 90 minutes, but it's still very fun.

2) It's been fifteen years and I'm still not finished hating the Luthorboy retcon.  They use it well enough here, but having him be Lexcorp Presents Superboy isn't quite as much fun as the original.

3) For people who haven't seen the prior movies in the series, the big bad rather comes out of nowhere.  I was sitting there thinking "they're not leaving much time to introduce Mong...oh, of course they're using X. Fine."

4) Steel has a version of the Priest Hammer, yay!  It's still a two-handed sledgehammer to go with his original costume, but it has a lot of the gadgets etc introduced during the Priest/Cowan run.  I would've liked to see more of his story before everything gets swept up in Henshaw's plot, and for him to have gotten the press moment where he just makes perfectly clear that he's trying to uphold Superman's example rather than replace him. But again, 52 issues of comics in 90 minutes.

5) Rainn Wilson is a really good Luthor...which makes sense because of Megamind but would never have occurred to me until I heard him.  I like O'Connell better as Captain Marvel than Superman, but he's still good. Voice cast is generally a pretty interesting mix of "actors who do cartoons sometimes" and working voiceover types. Cress Williams as Steel is of course freaking ace. Cameron Monaghan does a good job for the aged-down Kon in the story.  

I *might* go back and watch the stuff from Batman and Son thru JL/TT if shutdown lasts long enough.

I was also able to catch the double feature. I agree with just about all of your post I just wanted to add I wanted more Steel. He was great and wished he did have the moment to say why he's helping. 

I'm ok with the change in baddie, like you said it made sense and it would've forced DC to go down the rabbit hole if they were fully faithful to the story. And I'm sure there would be as much backlash if they did it now if they did back then.

I enjoyed it and would like to eventually see it as one big feature if the digital and Blu Ray sells well. 

I'm predictably unhappy with the absence of Wally, and I wish they could've gotten Michael Beach back for Mr. Terriffic (though KMR is generally awesome and proved me wrong when I thought he was a bad choice for Joker, so he gets the benefit of the doubt).  But fuck, it's a DCAU-continuity movie with the LSH and Fatal Five, so any complaints I would've had are way too small to stop me from buying it before it hits Universe.

• Like 1

Three episodes into the new Carmen Sandiego cartoon with the 6 year old. It's definitely a 2019 cartoon, super self-aware and made with love. You get a little geography, plenty of villain names from the game, and as it pertains to the 90s cartoon:

A Brooklyn-ized Zack and Ivy are her crew, and there's a moment in an elevator where there's an elevator music version of the 90s cartoon.

She also has her own Zenigata working for interpol and chasing her, with an overcompetent mousy sidekick. First two episodes are the origin story, retold. 6 year old is very into it so far.

I've watched the first few episodes of Young Justice, and I have no idea how this show was off the air for so long.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Young Justice as a whole is better than every live-action comic book television show ever produced.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I really need to start watching S3. I'm just annoyed that the app isn't on PS4. I don't love watching things on my computer.

I don't know if you have an Amazon Firestick, but that's how I'm watching it.  I signed up without knowing it didn't have a Xbox or PS4 app, but I have an old 1st generation Fire TV and they have an app for that.