DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I've seen all of Castlevania Season 2. Good stuff if you enjoyed the season. However, even at only 8 episodes, pacing is a bit clunky and off at times. Warren Ellis did a good job basically making Dracula as the tragic hero of the story. However, there's a lot of setup and new characters with not a lot of payoff.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:31 AM, Eivion said:

Forgot to mention that I did see Constantine: City of Demons last weeks. Dug the hell out of it.

Watched the DVD version last night and loved it.  I had really low expectations coming in.  Generally kind of "meh-ish" about DC animated movies and I've really disliked the last three DC animated shows I've watched (the Batman/Joker anime dealie, Superman/Doomsday, and the Ray).  Thought Ray was really weak, and - like Constantine - the DVD is basically a compilation of the web series that aired on CW Seed.

All that said, holy shit.  Really enjoyed Constantine.  Some of the imagery was nightmarish.  Never expected to see some of those things animated for a DC cartoon.  For that matter,  I would have laughed if you told me three years ago that All His Engines would eventually be adapted as a DC animated movie.  I'm a big fan of Mike Carey's, but All His Engines is mostly noteworthy for how far it pushes the envelope.  There's some grotesque, nasty stuff in those pages.  It's probably one of the least adaptable stories in the DC universe, but,  yeah, they not only adapted it, they did a decent job of it.

Not sure how I feel about the movie co-mingling so many Hellblazer stories into one (Mike Carey's gn, the original Delano run, Paul Jenkins much later run which revisted the Newcastle incident).  I think I dug the movie a little more when it was a somewhat straight-up adaption of the Carey material.  Throwing Nergal into the mix seemed like a needless change.

Was legit thrilled to see JM DeMatteis' name in the credits.  He's one of my favorite comic writers and basically my favorite writer up his funny/not funny JL run.

• Like 1

Speaking of, the blu ray box set was delivered today. I'm a bit miffed the digital copies are SD and not the HD transfers that are on the discs. 

Also, in the very strange department, about half of each season is ultraviolet and the other half isn't.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:27 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of, the blu ray box set was delivered today. I'm a bit miffed the digital copies are SD and not the HD transfers that are on the discs. 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:36 AM, Brian Fowler said:

The two movies are not included in the digital bundle.

Today they fixed both these issues, at least through VUDU. I was emailed a code for a new bundle that upgraded it to HDX and added the two movies.

So I lost my job 2 weeks ago and I've been home with the baby watching a lot of stuff. By stuff I mean Gravity Falls which I think was the best thing Disney TV Animation has put out since Gargoyles... speaking of which Baby Sandy wants you to lknow that Hudson is the best Gargoyle and her views on the matter shant be contested!

I mean Gravity Falls counts as an action cartoon right? It is really kind of not a kids show despite being marketed as such

James

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

So I lost my job 2 weeks ago and I've been home with the baby watching a lot of stuff. By stuff I mean Gravity Falls which I think was the best thing Disney TV Animation has put out since Gargoyles... speaking of which Baby Sandy wants you to lknow that Hudson is the best Gargoyle and her views on the matter shant be contested!

I mean Gravity Falls counts as an action cartoon right? It is really kind of not a kids show despite being marketed as such

James

Well if someone isn't choosing Goliath or Demona then Hudson is a perfectly fine choice.

I have never seen Gravity Falls. Why isn't it a kids' show?

Gravity Falls is one of those shows that relies on some very dark themes and gets a little gory at times but the rt style is definitely aimed for a younger audiencve and so is some of the humor but the overall story and themes (and yes there is an overarching story over 2 seasons) is like the X-Files when the X-Files was its best.

Also... I pretty much love all of Gargoyles (save for New Olympus). It remains the best show Disney did in the 90s

James

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, J.H. said:

James

My daughter and I loved the hell out of Gravity Falls!

Our other favorite was Over the Garden Wall. If you haven’t seen it, it’s on Hulu. It’s a six-part mini series. Each episode is fairly short, too. It’s great!

• 2 weeks later...

I spend a lot of time with Princess Sandra (aka the baby who willbe ... 6 MONTHS Dec2nd How the hell did that happen?!?). I watch a lot of cartoons with her mainly because it the colors and shapes of most shows engage her tiny baby mind. That being said, have we all been asleep at thewheel when it comes to Star v. The Forces of Evil? Because damn is this show good!

James

• Like 1