DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

On 5/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't seen a bit of Teen Titans Go, but that was a mighty fine trailer.  Might not see it in theaters, but if it's good I might catch it when it hits Netflix.

Its a fun show that mocks itself rather often. These teasers and trailers have been perfect.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its a fun show that mocks itself rather often. These teasers and trailers have been perfect.

In that case I owe it to myself to catch at least a couple episodes. Thanks, fella.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigKevFan said:

Cheers.

I'd prefer a different Spider to Miles Morales. As expected, Spider-Gwen is rightfully there. 

As it's Spider-Verse, you think the much criticised clone saga will get a nod. Really hope Superior Spider-Man shows. 

On 6/2/2018 at 9:01 PM, Eivion said:

On 6/3/2018 at 2:06 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

In that case I owe it to myself to catch at least a couple episodes. Thanks, fella.

This. I'll think on episodes to recommend. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, Eivion said:

The last two seasons are good and worth checking out. offhand i'm not sure they reached the high points of Clone Wars, but they certainly came close. Besides you're more receptive to Rebels. Watch it now opposed to later.

Finished S3 this morning after rewatching seasons 1 & 2.  I liked seasons 1 and 2 very much.  S3, not so much.  I guess it was reasonably entertaining and i'm invested enough in the characters to stay interested, but season 3 seemed kinda aimless to me.  There really weren't many good character arcs (or even character development), and they didn't have a strong plotline to hold the season together.  Thawne doesn't do much for me, especially after having Vader and Maul is season 2.  I know Thawne is an important part of the expanded universe stuff, but I've never read/watched any of that.  Just know Thawne from this show and he came off as sort of bland.  There's "military strategist who's too smart for you" character has been done many times before and executed better.  Thawne struck me as being a step down from Vader and Maul.

Speaking of Maul, after a great re-introduction is season 3, they seemed to not know what to do with him.  His quest in season 3 seemed very aimless (dramatically) and the resolution with him and Obi-Wan struck me as very unfulfilling.  Which is a shame, because Maul hunting down Kenobi sounds like a great plot in theory.

Thought the season opened and closed on weak notes.  The season premiere was actually rather good, but opened up with the writer's trope of drastically changing the status quo off-screen, then immediately doing away with the changes in the next ep.  From Ep 22 of season 2 to ep 1 of season 3, Ezra started turning to the dark side for training and Kanan became aloof and disaffected.  Both are interesting ideas, but both were basically resolved and never mentioned again by the end of episode 2 (season premiere was a two-parter).  Also didn't like the writers basically resorting to deus ex Bendu to write their way out of the season finale.

Still like the show way more than Clone Wars but hoping S4 is better (imo).  Hoping they bring back some of the season 2 plotlines (Vader, Ahsoka)

• Like 1

I was very surprised how unfocused Maul's storyline seemed.  He basically showed up every few eps to mutter vaguely, then wandered off the canvas again.  When i realized who he was looking for, my interest was piqued.  But the character he is hunting appears in literally one episode and their confrontation consists of a fight that lasts all of 20 seconds.  Dramatically, it was a really flat ending to an interesting arc.  

I wish Maul had attempted to recruit Ezra as his apprentice.  That idea seemed really intriguing but they didn't do much with it.  Maul referred to Ezra as his apprentice throughout the season, but didn't really do much to try to persuade/force/convert Ezra to the Sith.  

I liked the stuff with Thrawn, the Mandalorians/Sabine, and seeing the Rebellion fully form. Maul's arc was definitely disappointing though I did like the idea of him wanting to turn Ezra, and always enjoyed him calling Ezra his apprentice.

Finished season 4 of SW Rebels this morning.  Yeah, that worked for me.  Longform storytelling isn't something you get too often in animated shows and it all worked quite well.  They managed to make the big character death seem really meaningful to the characters and audience, without having the entire plot hinge on it.  The fight to rescue Ezra's homeworld brought the show full circle to where it began, as did Ezra's sacrifice.  I actually liked the resolution of the dangling Ahsoka plotline, which was a bit out there without feeling like a cheat.

I think S4 was probably my favorite season but the finishing stretch of season 2 with Vader and Maul was probably the best run.

Are the Jedis supposed to be entirely gone when SW Episode 1 starts?  I've never followed the Star Wars mythology that closely.  I didn't really like that Rebels took both jedis off the canvas, while leaving almost everyone else in play, but I feel like that may have been necessary to make the show sync up with the accepted timeline.

4 hours ago, Player One said:

Are the Jedis supposed to be entirely gone when SW Episode 1 starts?  I've never followed the Star Wars mythology that closely.  I didn't really like that Rebels took both jedis off the canvas, while leaving almost everyone else in play, but I feel like that may have been necessary to make the show sync up with the accepted timeline. 

Jedis are everywhere in Episode 1. Now if you mean Episode IV then yes, Jedis are pretty much dead or in hiding with no one outside of Kenobi, Luke, and Yoda being known. The ending basically answers why we never heard of Ahsoka, Ezra, or Kanan participating in the main war during Episodes 4-6.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:48 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Skybound and Amazon announced a full season greenlight for Invincible. The first hundred issues are one of my favorite runs so I hope it turns out okay.

I was surprised when I saw this yesterday. Hope it turns out good.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Jedis are everywhere in Episode 1. Now if you mean Episode IV then yes, Jedis are pretty much dead or in hiding with no one outside of Kenobi, Luke, and Yoda being known. The ending basically answers why we never heard of Ahsoka, Ezra, or Kanan participating in the main war during Episodes 4-6.

I was surprised when I saw this yesterday. Hope it turns out good.

Gah, stupid non-chronological ordering of movies.  Yeah, when i referred to Episode 1, I meant the original, 1977 movie.  Completely forgot that Lucas' reboot trilogy is technically episodes 1-3.

I ended up liking season 4 much more than I expected.  After being underwhelmed by season 3, I was ready to check out when I didn't like the Madalore 2-parter that kicked off season 4.  S4 picked up steam once the primary plot kicked in.  

Are there any other Rebels projects out there?  Wikipedia gave me the idea there's at least one Rebels novel out there?  I'd be down with a novel or another show that followed Atsoka's quest to find Ezra.

One thing I should mention is that I really liked how they presented Jedi.  Ezra and Kanan couldn't just whip out their lightsabers and beat up everything in sight. They still had limits.  Star Wars in general - and Clone Wars especially did this - tended to present jedi as super heroes.  Anakin and Obi Wan could take out 10,000 well-armed troops by their lonesome in most stories.  I thought it was interesting the character death in S4 was basically the result of being collateral damage in an explosion, not the result of fighting some uber-powerful Sith.

Good show. Wish there was more.  Like I said, I'm surprisingly into the quest they set up at the end.

I do wish they hadn't had inquisitors flying around in season 2 by twirling their light sabers like rotor blades.  That seemed dumb.  Was that established elsewhere?  I really don't remember flying jedi or sith before.

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Are there any other Rebels projects out there?  Wikipedia gave me the idea there's at least one Rebels novel out there?  I'd be down with a novel or another show that followed Atsoka's quest to find Ezra.

There was a sadly short-lived Kanan comic that was pretty good and went into his beginnings as a jedi and the end of the Clone Wars. Outside of that I have no idea. There isn't anything yet on Ahsoka questing to find. Hopefully something happens there.

One thing I should mention is that I really liked how they presented Jedi.  Ezra and Kanan couldn't just whip out their lightsabers and beat up everything in sight. They still had limits.  Star Wars in general - and Clone Wars especially did this - tended to present jedi as super heroes.  Anakin and Obi Wan could take out 10,000 well-armed troops by their lonesome in most stories.  I thought it was interesting the character death in S4 was basically the result of being collateral damage in an explosion, not the result of fighting some uber-powerful Sith.

To be fair powerful force users can absolutely pull that shit. The ending to Rogue One is a damn horror film with Vader tearing threw Rebels. The Vader Down crossover in the comics is similar shit, and keep in mind Vader is not as powerful as he was as Anakin. You also have Bendu is S3 of Rebels. Aside from that they were dealing with mostly cheap machines in Clone Wars. Actual people always provided a harder challenge.

I do wish they hadn't had inquisitors flying around in season 2 by twirling their light sabers like rotor blades.  That seemed dumb.  Was that established elsewhere?  I really don't remember flying jedi or sith before.

Did they actually fly? I have no recollection of this.

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Did they actually fly? I have no recollection of this.

Yeah, there's three or four instances when the Inquisitors fly while spinning their light sabres (the double-sword ones like Maul used) like a propeller.  I know it's a sci-fi show and it's animated, so suspension of disbelief and all that, but it looked absurd to me.

Edit: Here's a clip, albeit not the one I would have liked to use.  Skip to 2:05 when the inquisitors retreat from Maul and Ezra

Yeah that was definitely weird. I recall Jedi gliding and doing weird floating jumps likely via their lift ability, but never outright flying. Doing so with twirling light sabers is just....yeah, dumb was the right word for it.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:06 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I'd suggest 40/40/20 and the follow up two part Night Begins To Shine special, but you may want to make those the last episodes you watch after viewing a few others to familiarize yourself with the characters first. 

I can't remember the episode names, but there's one where the Justice League is captured by Darkseid (who is voiced by Weird Al Yankovic!) and the Titans attempt to rescue them. There are several Christmas episodes that are fun, including 2nd Christmas. And one of the first episodes in season 1 that introduces Trigon to the show as a TV Sitcom Style Dad to Raven. That one is a good episode to get to know the characters and you can go from there. Oh, and another one who's name I do remember is Fourth Wall where Control Freak attempts to "reboot" the team to a more sophisticated show, which is funny due to the fact that it starts with the current show Titans finding out they used to be a much cooler show, then get really upset when they binge watch the old show and find out that it ended on a cliff hanger and there was no resolution. They really take the piss out of themselves as well as all the people who now complain how the old Teen Titans show was SOOO much better than this one. Oh, and the super Meta 200th episode was also really fun, depending on how off the rails you like your stuff to go. :)

I got in to the show because my toddler loves it, but I found myself really liking it as well. I dig the writing, humor, and references in the show, along with the fact that they don't take themselves seriously at all. I do find it quite funny most of the time and both of us are quite excited for the new movie next month.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2018 at 12:24 AM, Eivion said:

Yeah that was definitely weird. I recall Jedi gliding and doing weird floating jumps likely via their lift ability, but never outright flying. Doing so with twirling light sabers is just....yeah, dumb was the right word for it.

Honestly, if they writers had just basically said, "eh, the Emperor gave inquisitors the power to fly", I would have just shrugged and went with it.  Flying wouldn't be the wackiest thing jedi and sith can do.  But there was no explanation and the visual of an inquisitor lifting up his light sabre, spinning it horizontally, and helicoptering away just looked sorta silly.

Apparently, there are quite a few message boards threads out there devoted to the topic.

13 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

There are several Christmas episodes that are fun, including 2nd Christmas.

I do love how Santa has become an arch-nemesis for them over time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally took the time to finish up the latest "season" of Voltorn. Dug it a good a good deal. Liked everythign done with Keith and Shiro. Dug the twisted revelation about Lotor and how they ended this particular arc. Can't wait to see them hit Earth finally.

33 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

New She-Ra design dropped today and a bunch of grown men got mad because a cartoon for young girls isn't designed for them to jack off too.

I really hate toxic nerd dudes, guys.

Wait is there a new show coming?