DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

How are seasons 2 and 3 of Star Wars Rebels?  I'm watching season 1 and liking it far more than I expected to.  Not really a fan of US cartoons, but did enjoy Young Justice enough to become a Greg Weisman fan.  He left the show after season 1, so that was all I picked up.

Wondering if i should invest some time in the rest of the series.  For comparison, I watched all of Clone Wars and thought it was completely average.  Except for the comedy episodes, which were tedious (I hated the multi-parter with the tiny alien commander and the droids).

Yeah, Clone Wars did nothing at all for me.

Finished season one of Rebels and I'm about 10 eps. into season two.  Really liking it so far.  Interesting mix of characters and I'm liking adding old Rex and Ahsoka to the cast.  Feel like this is vastly superior to Clone Wars (and probably most other Star Wars properties, for that matter).

First image for Young Justice: Outsiders is out.

Looks like the team lineup will be:

Static

Bart Allen Kid Flash

Either Tim Drake or Damian Wayne Robin

Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl

Spoiler

Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle

Thirteen (Traci Thirteen maybe?)

Either Artemis or Arrowette

Arsenal (Roy Harper the first)

Beast Boy

I'm pretty pumped.

YJ images from SDCC (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

young-justice-outsiders.jpg?w=605&h=391

DFRwPjdUMAAItD4.jpg

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

First image for Young Justice: Outsiders is out.

Looks like the team lineup will be:

Hide contents

Static

Bart Allen Kid Flash

Either Tim Drake or Damian Wayne Robin

Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl

Spoiler

Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle

Thirteen (Traci Thirteen maybe?)

Either Artemis or Arrowette

Arsenal (Roy Harper the first)

Beast Boy

I'm pretty pumped.

Spoiler

The female archer is a new Arrowette, not Artemis.  Apparently, she's a young girl who was saved by Green Arrow and Artemis and was inspired to put on a costume herself.  I don't think a second Arrowette appeared in YJ: Season Two, but I really don't remember.

Are they skipping another five years?

Spoiler

Glad to see Static. I'm kind of indifferent towards Steph. Not super interested in any of the other newbies. Kind of of surprised to see no M' gann.

It is a bit funny to me that Netflix is basically the only reason season three is happening, but they are banking on it being big enough to launch their own service around it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up S3 of Voltron. First few episodes were so-so, but I thought the last three came together nicely. They even managed to end it on a decent break point even if it is still obvious they cut the season in half for whatever reason. Not sure what to think about Lotor so far other than that he makes a solid foil for the group relying more on skill and planning than brute force. The show still suffers from being way too short and not taking enough time to build its world up. The last episode really pushes that even more as its focused on past and Zarkon's eventual betrayal. Its easily one of the best episodes of the show so far. Hopefully the next six episodes in October will deliver as well.

Ducktales pilot thoughts:

I still find the juxtaposition of the squat, angular "Flash animation" designs for the little ducks, Glomgold, etc. with the more classical Scrooge and Donald really unpleasantly jarring.  Loved the little cameos, especially the one in the waiting room with Donald.  The writing's very good; I quite like the new takes on Beakley and Webby. REAL glad the orgy of re-casting didn't hit Tony Anselmo. I think that might have been a dealbreaker for me.  But then, the show isn't "for me" so any complaints I might have are pointless anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 5:07 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

How are seasons 2 and 3 of Star Wars Rebels?  I'm watching season 1 and liking it far more than I expected to.  Not really a fan of US cartoons, but did enjoy Young Justice enough to become a Greg Weisman fan.  He left the show after season 1, so that was all I picked up.

Wondering if i should invest some time in the rest of the series.  For comparison, I watched all of Clone Wars and thought it was completely average.  Except for the comedy episodes, which were tedious (I hated the multi-parter with the tiny alien commander and the droids).

Season 2 is epic, and season 3 is a bit of a letdown by comparison, other than having Thrawn around.  

Watched DC's new Batman & Harley Quinn animated movie.  I kinda enjoyed it, but, man, it was weird tonally.  Parts of it are 60's Batman cartoon and parts are current DC, with a dash of BTAS thrown in.  Harley's character seems much more her current interpretation than BTAS, but they put her in the BTAS costume.  Then they had her swear and generally act disaffected.  Such a weird, weird clash.

I kinda thought more would be said about the movie since

Spoiler

She apparently has sex with Nightwing, possibly while he was tied to a bed (it was consensual).

I enjoyed Batman and Harley Quinn just as a fun one-off animated adventure done in the style of BTAS/TNBA.  Bruce Timm did grow up loving the Adam West show.  Even TNBA and BTAS had some of those weird campy tonal elements thrown in at times.  I did enjoy Batman's reaction to the farting in the Batmobile.  

Though I didn't really love Rauch as Harley Quinn.  I think Tara Strong does a much better job.  As for the sex:

I think they were just playing around and didn't actually do the deed, or maybe they did.  I think you can interpret it either way.