DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

On 6/5/2017 at 0:05 AM, TheVileOne said:

Artwork for a new Avengers anime that's in the works.  Looks like it will be the next Disk Wars that never got released here.

Interesting.  Never heard of Disk Wars before now.  Not a big fan of Marvel cartoons, but I do enjoy a couple anime series here and there.  Is Disk Wars?  The other Marvel anime series I've seen were fairly weak, imo.

Disk Wars is basically Pokemon, but instead of little wild critters, it's the heroes of the Marvel Universe who have been captured and put into little techno disks.  So they team up with kid partners to help them stop bad guys while trying to figure out how to free them from their disk captivity.

6 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

After Batman and Harley Quinn is released, Alan Burnett is retiring.

Sad day for animation but the man has had a hell of a career and deserves the rest.

That is a shame to hear.

• Like 1

Return of the Caped Crusaders is fantastic. the best parts of the 60s show, told with modern sensibilities.

personally, i'm still waiting for the '90s Spider-Man animated series to get the dvd treatment.

• Like 2

Is everything past Justice League Unlimited separate from the original BTAS canon? I could see how Batman and Harley Quinn could fit in there while other DCAU movies that have had the same creative and voices clearly wouldn't. 

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Is everything past Justice League Unlimited separate from the original BTAS canon? I could see how Batman and Harley Quinn could fit in there while other DCAU movies that have had the same creative and voices clearly wouldn't. 

As far as I'm aware they haven't made anything part of the DCAU past JLU. That said it definitely looks like Batman and Harley Quinn could be. I really should look for interviews.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Crisis on Two Worlds one started as a continuation of JLU, but at some point in production got changed. You can still kinda see how it fits, mostly.

That doesn't seem quite right considering that they had already hit upon a similar story in Justice League.

20 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Batman Beyond is prt ofthe BCAU timline though right? I man that was th whole point of the last episode of S1 right?

James

It is.

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That doesn't seem quite right considering that they had already hit upon a similar story in Justice League.

Let me slightly correct myself. The script started as Justice League: Worlds Collide, a direct to DVD "bridge" movie between Justice League and JLU. It was also going to explain where Wonder Woman got her invisible plane. It was originally developed in 2004, and then shelved. McDuffie rewrote it and removed all direct references to the JL/JLU shows, and replaced John with Hal.

• 2 weeks later...

So Justice League Action seems to have joined Batman Unlimited and Super Hero Girls in the realm of Youtube first animated shorts. Three went up today, all of them varying degrees of fun. The second one with Flash and Lobo doing a Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote sendup is the clear best.

On one hand it sucks that they seem to have abandoned full episodes, but I'm glad they're still producing stuff in some form for it. In general the Youtube animation is a cool form of promo and I have at least one comic shop customer whose daughter is SUPER into the Super Hero Girls stuff as a result. 

I've never watched/read/etc the Superhero Girls stuff, but I love the character designs. I nearly bought a few of the toys a few months ago when Walmart had them on sale.

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's relatively fun. Basically take the tone of the current My Little Pony series and mash it up with the DCU. Something that will probably only increase when Lauren Faust acts as showrunner for the forthcoming TV series.

She was great to talk to years ago. I think it has been like 10 years, when I was getting PPG sketches for then GF and she did one and got Craig to do one too.