DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Just got around to watching the first episode of Beware the Batman, i'd forgotten all about it until the board was back up. Mixed views so far, its no Young Justice but its not bad or anything. I've never been a fan of CGI heavy or entirely CGI shows, i just cant get into the style, so it had that against it going in. I like the use of newer and less mainstream villains, the fights were well done and i'm undecided on the changes to Alfred but its an interesting enough twist that i'm willing to give it a shot. What i don't like is the whole 'new to being batman' thing, same with The Batman show. He should be Batman and he should be the best at everything. I don't want a show about Bruce learning to be Batman, i want a show about Batman. Still, i'll stick with it.

I'd forgotten about the Flashpoint movie coming out so i'll give that a shot at some point as well. Interested in the other DC animated movie news though. Whats the word on the new Justice League movie? i read the first few issues of the new DC comics, if its just the origin and Darkseid it could be pretty good. The 2 i am really interested in though are the new Batman movies. One based on the Arkham video games has no reason not to be awesome and the Damien one should be interesting too.

I'm just hoping Son of Batman leads to a 7-8 movie adaptation of Grant Morrison's entire Batman run plus Final Crisis.

...look, I can dream.Also, Cyclops was sort of meh until the Apocalypse possession a few years back. Since then he's had an amazing array of writers turn him into one of the best characters in the Marvel universe. I know. I was surprised too.

• Like 1

I'm just hoping Son of Batman leads to a 7-8 movie adaptation of Grant Morrison's entire Batman run plus Final Crisis.

That's the thing i don't get. I thought Flashpoint was supposed to be the end of adapting straight up comic stories. So 2 of the 3 films post Flashpoint? the first new DC Justice League story and a pre Flashpoint Batman Story. I guess its still speculation at this point though, Maybe Son of Batman is a Damian solo story which could also be pretty cool.

Cyclops was always my favorite character and the direction they went with him in AvX was a huge part of my reason to stop reading Marvel books.

I hated how the Avengers were shoehorned into what should've been an X-event and were basically written to be the heroes of the story. 'Course, Scott basically ends up being right in the end, but Bendis and the rest of the hacks involved with AvX demonized the shit out of him until the X-fan backlash happened.

I kinda wish DC would try a few animated movies featuring other characters rather than going back to the Batman well again, but I know they'd never sell, sadly. Still wondering why Marvel isn't taking advantage of the animated movie market and putting some Avenger and X-Men stories out there. Hell, throw cosmic characters a bone too.

I hated how the Avengers were shoehorned into what should've been an X-event and were basically written to be the heroes of the story. 'Course, Scott basically ends up being right in the end, but Bendis and the rest of the hacks involved with AvX demonized the shit out of him until the X-fan backlash happened.

Your avatar sort of sums up your attitude completely. 

• Like 1

Guys Flashpoint was the tits and basically made every other animated movie look like a butt.

Yeah i thought it was pretty awesome. I was skeptical going in since The Flash bores the crap out of me but i enjoyed every second of it. Was surprised at how over the top violent it was.

Flashpoint was better than I expected as I hate alternate timeline big DC events. But I still didn't think it was all that great. The over the top violence felt to me like they were just exploiting the fact that these were versions of the characters we would never see again so hey why not go nuts. I did like the Thomas Wayne version of Batman quite a bit and the choice of voice actor for his character was a good one. It was worth a watch but it wouldn't rank among my favorite animated comic movies.

I wasn't a big fan of the story it's based on, so I haven't been in a hurry to see it.

Certain things happen in that story that I cannot reconcile to the characters no matter how much time is rearranged.  (I also don't quite understand how Flash saving his mother's life would change where a rocket ship landed a few years before that happened, or who was shot in a different city around the same time, or...  Well, really, any of the changes.)

I will say that the Batman mini that tied into it was quite good, and the Kid Flash: Lost mini was absolutely excellent.

I think I've seen all of the recent ones, at least since they started these DC movies with Superman:Doomsday, apart from the Green Lantern compilation movie if that counts. I'm heavily biased towards the Batman movies so i'd say my favorite was probably The Dark Knight Returns. Non Batman i'd say Superman vs The Elite and Flashpoint are up there though its been a long time since i watched the earlier ones so i could probably do with a revisit at some point.

I think I've seen all of the recent ones, at least since they started these DC movies with Superman:Doomsday, apart from the Green Lantern compilation movie if that counts. I'm heavily biased towards the Batman movies so i'd say my favorite was probably The Dark Knight Returns. Non Batman i'd say Superman vs The Elite and Flashpoint are up there though its been a long time since i watched the earlier ones so i could probably do with a revisit at some point.

If we're counting movies before Superman: Doomsday, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the best DC Animated Universe film. If not, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1. Non Batman, Wonder Woman.

Wonder Womans another one i haven't seen. Its a character i really cant get into in a solo capacity. If you rate it that highly is it worth checking out as a non fan?

I'd like to think so. It's a great film and I'd be happy with a live action shot for shot remake, that's how much I rate it.

Wonder Womans another one i haven't seen. Its a character i really cant get into in a solo capacity. If you rate it that highly is it worth checking out as a non fan?

I'm not much of a WW fan, but based on recommendations here, I watched it.  I thought it was very good.