DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So the first trailer for Judas Contract is out, and rather than go the approach they did for the Batman classics, it's a loose adaptation set in the current film DCAU. So it's the team from Justice League vs. Teen Titans plus Nightwing.

sounds like a definite pass.

• Like 1

I want to know more about Netflix's Castlevania.  Is Frederator still making it?  I love a lot of their comedy shows, but I can't think of a single example of them animating anything dramatic.  Who's the lead? Target demo? Is it a rehash of Warren Ellis's treatment from a decade ago, or did they start from square one? I know they won't keep us waiting THAT long, but just bieng told "Castlevania is coming this year" is actually more infuriating to me than enticing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been re-watching Young Justice week and just finished the first season. I forgot how much I generally disliked the use of bat villains in this. They always seemed to be misused, miscast, and/or have a shitty design. At this point I think Ivy was the only one who managed to avoid all three. Hated how Waller was used as well. I also realize I have never really liked any of Vandal Savage's designs in animation. For some reason everyone always changes him usually choosing to either shorten his hair or leave off the beard. It just never quite feels right. YJ especially was off with the extra scars. Bruce Greenwood is one of the better Batman voices. I wish he was doing the current animated films. Still don't Zatanna being aged down though it worked well enough. I really wish Rocket had been a bigger part. Her joining at the end was kind of disappointing. The show is still fun as ever though it also reminds me how much I wish there had been a companion Just League series at time.

Looks like they finally killed Splinter off in the current TMNT. Its fees weird considering how many times they teased it before already. Not to mention it did end with Leo finally offing Shredder. Its kind of disappointing if only for how much fun Splinter tended to be. On the other hand it was probably about time, especially after the numerous teases of it.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone watched Teen Titans: Judas Contract yet?

Putting aside my bias, because Judas Contract is one of my favorite stories ever, I thought it was well done. I'm on my phone and can't do spoilers correctly, but adding another classic villain to replace H.I.V.E was a nice touch and they handled the implied statutory rape scenario between Terra and Slade as best as they could. 

5 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Has anyone watched Teen Titans: Judas Contract yet?

Putting aside my bias, because Judas Contract is one of my favorite stories ever, I thought it was well done. I'm on my phone and can't do spoilers correctly, but adding another classic villain to replace H.I.V.E was a nice touch and they handled the implied statutory rape scenario between Terra and Slade as best as they could. 

I really liked it. The original story is one of my all time favorites as well, but I think they did a great job adapting it. And when I first saw a certain hairstyle I thought it was just a great gag, until after the credits.

I didn't like Judas Contract at all. I prefer Terra to be the rampaging sociopath of Wolfman/Perez. Though I did LOVE seeing Donna at the end of it!

As far as other things I'd like DC to animate... y'know the Palmiotti/Connor Power Girl run condensed to just the Ultra-Humanite stuff (with my fave iteration of Terra) would be hella-fun!

James

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I didn't like Judas Contract at all. I prefer Terra to be the rampaging sociopath of Wolfman/Perez. Though I did LOVE seeing Donna at the end of it!

As far as other things I'd like DC to animate... y'know the Palmiotti/Connor Power Girl run condensed to just the Ultra-Humanite stuff (with my fave iteration of Terra) would be hella-fun!

James

There's nothing more cowardly than not going with sociopath Terra. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Judas Contract was okay, pretty good job of streamlining it. Terra as a severely damaged teen instead of a complete sociopath works well enough even if it's not actually as good.

DONNA!!!! Even if the generation is all off and it should really be Cassie.

I'm intrigued by the tiny bit about it including comics as well. Is this a backdoor announcement of them finally launching a Marvel Unlimited type service, but with video as well? Oh please oh please.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 10:45 PM, Eivion said:

So anyone else catch the Samurai Jack finale? Any thoughts? It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was just a bittersweet.

It was bittersweet.  I didn't hate it.  Here are my feelings.  I'm glad we got an ending.  Even if this is the ending, I would've preferred we got this than nothing at all for years and years.  

If I had a criticism, I felt like there was too much Jashi in this final season and it distracted from the final leg of Jack's journey.  Second of all, I think the final episode rushed through some of the character interactions and resolutions.  

I'm fine with a bittersweet ending.  That fits the type of show Samurai Jack was.  

I would blame the ending they chose more for the problems with rushed resolutions. I don't feel Ashi was a distraction. She helped pull Jack back from the brink and w/o her there in the final battle Jack vs. Aku really would just hit the same beats as usual. I expected a bittersweet ending, but what I honestly was expecting was more along the lines of Jack dying after the final blow or Ashi possibly dealing the final blow. Feels like Jack sacrificing himself would have made more sense. By literally undoing everything Aku did they sort of screwed over everyone else in the future who made big sacrifices for the survival of their people.