DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

They're doing it again...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/23/beware-the-batman-pulled-from-cartoon-network-schedule

With NOTHING good at Marvel, and this, could we be seeing another Dork Age for comic-based animation?  (last one, IMO, was the time between JLU and BATB, when all we had really were mediocre Kids' WB shows, really.  I forget if SSM fell into this time period though.)

Beware the Batman isn't that good.  Not going to miss it if it goes away.  Hate the designs.  Don't like the voices or the animation.  Batman doesn't look good in CG.

With NOTHING good at Marvel, and this, could we be seeing another Dork Age for comic-based animation?  (last one, IMO, was the time between JLU and BATB, when all we had really were mediocre Kids' WB shows, really.  I forget if SSM fell into this time period though.)

Between that time frame, Spectacular Spider-Man premiered you know.  

Beware the Batman isn't that good.  Not going to miss it if it goes away.  Hate the designs.  Don't like the voices or the animation.  Batman doesn't look good in CG.

Between that time frame, Spectacular Spider-Man premiered you know.  

Right, that's why I asked to make sure. 

BTB was better than I thought it would be.  Liked it more than the last serious Batman series, that's for sure.  I could have got even more used to the animation (like I did with GL), and they used the B-to-C list villains well. 

If it goes, then...what's next?  Is DC Nation (or should we say DC Cancellation?)  just a half hour of Teen Titans Go?  (Crossing fingers for another YJ chapter, but you know how it is...) 

I think for Beware the Batman, they are going to finish showing the episodes they ordered (26 in total I think) some time in 2014.  After that, I imagine the show is done.

I imagine WB will want some sort of Superman/Batman team-up show to tie-in with the new movie.  But who knows.  

They should do a Superman vs Batman Laff-A-Lympics type show.  Give them GL, the Flash and Wonder Woman teams with the lesser known DC Characters.  Have Luthor, Joker, Darkseid, and a few other villains have a team.  Finally have Aquaman captain the team that is always n last place.    

It's the BATB Aquaman or I riot.  Even if he was with the losers, imagine him trying to pep talk everyone!

• Like 1

I was shocked to learn that Dick "The Robot" Tufeld only did narration for four cartoons (Spidey and his Amazing Friends, Spider-Woman, Thundarr and New FF).  For some reason, I remember him doing the intro for every single "dramatic" show Ruby-Spears did in the 70s and 80s.

I was pretty surprised to see that IMDB only lists him with like 27 credits total, including Lost In Space, the 90s movie, and appearances on Simpsons as the Robot.  He seems a lot more ubiquitous than that.

So my on-again off-again quest to watch all of post-move Transformers G1 has hit a snag called "Surprise Party."  An episode even more Wheelie-and-Daniel-centric than I thought possible, wherein everyone's two least favorite characters go hunting for a lost asteroid to find out when Magnus went online so they can throw him a birthday bash.  They're just lucky that the TF Prime/IDW version of the character, so anal-retentive and humorless as to raise questions of mental illness, didn't come along for another 25 years or they'd end up accused of treason.  Which might have made for a fun episode, actually.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now completely hooked on "Batman: Brave and the Bold". I caught a few episodes back when it was on the air, and I kinda liked it, but I'm such a BTAS dork that I really didn't give it a chance. I've been watching it on Netflix with my three year old nephew, at first because I was tired of Team Oomizoomi and I wanted to watch some Batman with him. He'd seen some BTAS with me, and likes the character. So I figured, "What the hell?"

I am now so loving this. I'm a Silver Age freak and I love all of these characters. I totally geeked out for The Challengers Of The Unknown, and the little intro they did for them made me want to see a Challengers show done like this yesterday. The use of the more modern characters like Guy Gardner or the new Blue Beetle is great, and I absolutely adore the animation style and character designs. There's so much love for DC history and it's so much god damn fun. He's hooked, I'm hooked, I'm just waiting for season three to hit Netflix.

• Like 2

I am now completely hooked on "Batman: Brave and the Bold". I caught a few episodes back when it was on the air, and I kinda liked it, but I'm such a BTAS dork that I really didn't give it a chance. I've been watching it on Netflix with my three year old nephew, at first because I was tired of Team Oomizoomi and I wanted to watch some Batman with him. He'd seen some BTAS with me, and likes the character. So I figured, "What the hell?"

I am now so loving this. I'm a Silver Age freak and I love all of these characters. I totally geeked out for The Challengers Of The Unknown, and the little intro they did for them made me want to see a Challengers show done like this yesterday. The use of the more modern characters like Guy Gardner or the new Blue Beetle is great, and I absolutely adore the animation style and character designs. There's so much love for DC history and it's so much god damn fun. He's hooked, I'm hooked, I'm just waiting for season three to hit Netflix.

I watched it during the summer and loved every minute of it.  The colors are so saturated and cool, the stories are fantastic, and who doesn't love this incarnation of Aquaman?  Bad-ass Aquaman is great, but this blowhard version is the bee's knees.  Netflix needs to get with it and post the rest of the show.  That, and Season 2 of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

Just finished S2 of Legend of Korra. Thought it was better than the S1 on the whole though I think I prefer the more grounded element S1 had. I thought there was a bit more depth in Amon than there was in Unalaq. I did like how they balanced the characterss stories and growth a bit better this time around. Bolin big episode was particularly great. Will be interesting seeing where they take things next season with the way S2 ended.

Just finished S2 of Legend of Korra. Thought it was better than the S1 on the whole though I think I prefer the more grounded element S1 had. I thought there was a bit more depth in Amon than there was in Unalaq. I did like how they balanced the characterss stories and growth a bit better this time around. Bolin big episode was particularly great. Will be interesting seeing where they take things next season with the way S2 ended.

Is it over now? I decided to just wait until it was finished and watch all of them on the tivo in one go.

Is it over now? I decided to just wait until it was finished and watch all of them on the tivo in one go.

Yeah, the last episode of the season aired earlier this week.