DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

It's a shame with the A++ material that Marvel has, that they can't do something good that can sustain.  SSM and A:EMH are both fairly fantastic.  USM is bollocks and really AVASS really blows too so far.

To my mind, even SSH and A:EMH are well off the mark of the best DCAU stuff.  The best Marvel seems to be able to do is "decent".

• Like 1

Marvel had SSM, Wolverine and the X-Men, and EMH, the three best animated shows they ever had, by far (as in nothing's even close save for the last few seasons of X-Men: Evolution), and they all died horribly premature deaths.

• Like 1

Does anyone in this forum like USM at all?

I don't.

To my mind, even SSH and A:EMH are well off the mark of the best DCAU stuff. The best Marvel seems to be able to do is "decent".

The only DCAU TV series I'd rate above Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is Batman: The Animated Series. SSM I have second and A: EMH in third place. Can't go wrong with either!

So Professor Pyg is obviously a guy in a mask.  What is up with Mr. Toad.  Is he supposed to be an actual toad?  I looked at the comics character and he looked very similar.  I tried googleing, but there isnt much info on the dude. 

I think Mr. Toad is an actual toad. Cool to see Professor Pyg make his animated debut, one of the creepiest new Batman villains.

Natural.  I'm not the boss of this forum, but I hate hate hate listmania.  Please, lets just say that they are good, but truthfully, I prefer JLA, JLU Batman Beyond(Of the future) and  YJ to SSM and A:EMH as well, but it's very close.  They are all great cartoon shows.

Marvel had SSM, Wolverine and the X-Men, and EMH, the three best animated shows they ever had, by far (as in nothing's even close save for the last few seasons of X-Men: Evolution), and they all died horribly premature deaths.

It may be a bit of personal bias against Wolverine, but I hated the fuck out of Wolverine and the X-Men. I tried to give it a chance, but the failure to flip Scott and Logan's roles by making Cyclops into a complete and utter moron just killed any interest I had in it. I did like the Nightcrawler/Scarlet Witch bits and the Polaris bits from the Xavier storyline, but those were woefully few and far between. Doing AoA in the second season would've been interesting, but the writing would've needed a major overhaul, IMO.

I loved Wolverine and the X-Men. They did such a great job with the Day's of Future Past storyline and capturing the utter despair and hopelessness of it. It also helps that I've hated Cyclops since I was a kid. I don't think I liked it as much as the original X-Men: The Animated Series but that's my favorite comic book cartoon.

Never liked Cyclops in the 90's show. I have better appreciation of him now that I have through a decent amount of Claremont's run though his current status in Marvel, and X-fans blind love for him actually turns me off of his character again.

New DC Animated Universe films annouced at San Diego Comic-Con 2013:

After an overwhemingly positive response to the premiere screening of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Warner Bros went on to announce the 2014 lineup of animated films. The first being Justice League: War based off of Geoff Johns' New 52 Justice League comic. The second and third films are called Batman: Assault On Arkham and Son Of Batman. We don't yet know (for sure) what these films are based on, so we're hoping for clarification from the panel soon. According to users at Toonzone forums, Assault On Arkham is based within Rocksteady's video game franchise, while Son Of Batman is based upon Grant Morrison's famous introductory story for Damian Wayne. 

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

Very happy with the three, more so Batman: Assault On Arkham and Son of Batman. With Damian Wayne getting a film, hopefully that means we'll be getting Batman and Robin as an animated film with Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin.