DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Batman: The Brave And The Bold is the best superhero cartoon of all the times.

Yes.  Every episode of Batman TBATB was amazing.  Everyone needs to watch that show.  I was so pissed when it was cancelled.  Young Justice was pretty amazing, again I wish it went on a little longer.  

I'm also a fan of the show. I liked how we had a short sequence before the opening credits and then the main story. Felt like two episodes for the price of one. I watched the Music Meister episode on my 25th birthday, what a super episode. I'm also fond of the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and Batman vs. Superman episodes.

I didn't really register BatB because the initial question gave the impression OP was looking for something more serious, but it's a fucking awesome show. Bonus points for a Space Ghost crossover, adapting the Kuwata manga, and a dozen other things.

• Like 1

Deathstroke actually does have powers. He was experimented on to give him the ability to use 90 percent of his brain. And he has the strength of 10 men, and enhanced agility, telexes, etc.

Aren't people saying that whole we only use 10 percent of our brains thing is junk science now though?

Are we really going to get into a debate about if it's ok for comic book characters backstorys have or have had junk science as there base?

• Like 1

I can buy "his brain works better than the average human's because we stuck a computer in there and injected him with a magic serum". I can't buy "his brain works better than the average human's in this very specific manner which is a widely-believed but utterly false urban legend which has been repeatedly mythbusted".

Yeah, but it's the same logical disconnect as "I can believe that an alien from another planet could just so happen to look EXACTLY like a human, and that he could somehow be sent across millions of lightyears to our planet, and that our solar system's yellow sunlight could somehow imbue him with a variety of inexplicable superpowers which break EVERY law of physics that we know... but I can't believe that nobody would recognize him whenever he puts on a pair of glasses". Some smaller parts of the overall picture just sound like bullshit, no matter how goofy the big picture is.

I think it was the superman parody in the Tick who had glasses that hypnotized people. Because when tick beoke them, he tried unsuccessfully to fool people by making the glasses with his hands gesture and it didnt work.

re: Deathstroke. i think his handlers made up that 90% of the brain thing to fool him (Slade) into believing that he was smarter. He regularly gets/got beaten or outmaneuvered by a variety of people. You'd think someone that was smarter, faster, and stronger then any human could beat Green Arrow, but i guess not.

Yeah, but we're living in an era where Batman always beats Superman every single time they fight too. Realism doesn't apply in the who-beats-who pecking order, or else it'd all be Watchmen with one or two characters who are so godlike that nobody else stands a chance against them.

Also Deathstroke in the comics is super protected. He nearly beats the Justice League single handedly, routinely hands the Teen Titans their ass, and beat Batman solidly in their first hand to hand encounter. Even top martial artists like Black Canary and Cassandra Cain could only fight him to a standstill at best. Green Arrow beat him once after literally a year of prep including setting a meticulously planned trap and retraining himself under one of Deathstroke's mentors. He was SUPER protected as far as villains go.

Hell, even in Arrow he hands Ollie his ass repeatedly until Ollie finds the one way to beat him. Stuff like the Arkham games just chump him because he's usually brought in as a hired gun and the lead character has to beat the bad guy. But those usually also remove or downplay the powers in favour of him being evil Batman.

• Like 1

I think it was the superman parody in the Tick who had glasses that hypnotized people. Because when tick beoke them, he tried unsuccessfully to fool people by making the glasses with his hands gesture and it didnt work.

There was an issue of Superman, pre-Crisis, which explained that very method of disguise embellishment. Kent gets a Daily Planet sketch artist to draw him, and the guy draws Kent as a pudgy, balding, early 50s guy instead of Superman with glasses.

Wish I could remember more, because I think that was the issue where I began wanting more out of my comic experience than puerile bullshit.

So, I'm now three episodes into Spectacular Spider-man and... uh... when, exactly, does it start getting great? It's not terrible or anything, but so far it seems to be a pretty average comic-adaptation cartoon. A couple of people mentioned the design issues, and I whole-heartedly agree: all the characters have these ugly, misshapen heads where the tops of their skulls are bizarrely pointed (and then ashen, grey skintones on all the white characters look really weird too). The animation seems, well, impatient for lack of a better term; it's always jumping around so quickly that it looks like it's in fast-forward.

But even on the script side, there's things that bug me. Since fucking when are Gwen Stacy and Eddie Brock supposed to be Peter's nerdy science lab partners? Both of them are SO far removed from their comic selves that the show might as well have called them completely different names. The plotting also shares the animation's impatience: we've blasted through the origin stories of literally a dozen different villains in just three episodes. The show never slows down enough to let stuff breathe, it's all go-go-go. Which makes it even worse with how repetitive things are; two episodes in a row have Spidey trying to reason with mutated supervillains who were accidentally created by some fuckup in Dr. Connors's lab. Add that to Peter's curfew alarm going off every five minutes like a recurring nightmare and GODDAMMIT, SLOW DOWN ALREADY AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO NEXT, SHOW!

And worst of all: Spidey's jokes. They suck. Not funny. No cleverness, no desperate flashes of wit; hell, he's not even trying to use them to fluster his enemies. Andrew Garfield's version was funnier than this. Hell, it's bringing back Tobey Macguire memories.

...did I mention that I HAVE seen a few episodes of Ultimate Spider-man and liked it better than this?

Explain. why?

Especially cuz I just watched the first episode of Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and it's like night and day. Smarter writing, better dialogue, hooking me and reeling me in early with an arcing plot which is clearly going to go somewhere interesting. Fight scenes which are much better choreographed (and much more violent; it's easy to believe that there were a shit-ton of dead Shield and Hydra bodies littering the battlefield after the fights in this one). And it's already saying something more profound than "working as a scientist will inevitably turn you into an insane supervillain, nine times out of ten". And the artistic choices are more interesting in general, like the Cloverfield-esque opening where some guy's cell phone is filming a barely-glimpsed Iron Man fighting a giant robot in the middle of the ocean.

EDIT: second episode, first ten seconds, we've already got a motherfucking WRECKING CREW sighting. This show rules.