DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I just watched the BTAS episode Perchance to Dream for the first time in a few years, and something new occured to me on this viewing. This episode is basically making the case that the best thing that ever happened in Bruce Wayne's life was his parents murder. Without the death of his parents, Bruce would be trapped in a pampered, futile existence where the character he plays as Batman's alter ego would actually be the real Bruce Wayne. There is one scene where he's playing with a pen by himself in his office, before Selina comes in and he has to pretend like he's reading some papers in his briefcase, that particularly hammers this home.

While I didn't have that take on it, I can see it.  For me, it showed how typical Bruce's life would have been.  As the only child of flithy rich parents, he would have led the life of a spoiled socialite playboy who finally meets his dream girl in Selina, and in turn inherit the Wayne billions.  He would have been the male counterpart to Veronica Vreeland--flaky, flighty, essentially nice but shallow and devoid of true meaning. 

It's why I find it fascinating that whenever the Justice League goes to alternate worlds, Batman is one of two characters who basically remains the same (Lex Luthor is the other).  His parents' death is such a strong part of his psyche, it can't be altered no matter what.

I expected to hate Beware the Batman, but the pilot was quite interesting.  I didn't care for the CGI in the Green Lantern series, but it worked fine here. Love them focusing on less iconic/new Batman characters like Anarky, Professor Pym (and Katana).

Not too sure about reimagining Alfred as more of

a bodyguard, rather than a genteel butler.aide-de-camp. It's not wholly out of sync with Alfred's background in the comics, but it is a bit jarring

• Like 1

FWIW: I don't really consider Korra an anime, strictly speaking.

Besides, so far, the rebooted anime thread is talk about new shows that are just now airing in Japan and won't be dubbed for awhile yet, and 70's giant robo series.

I found Beware the Batman to be interesting and fun.  While it took me a minute to get used to the voices and the CGI, it was an excellent show with the end sequence being the only thing I didn't really like.  I can see how folks would be annoyed at the departure for the Alfred character, but honestly, it wasnt that bad. 

I am more pleased with giving up GLTAS for that then giving up my Young Justice for That Teen Titans GO! deal.

I did enjoy the Wonder Woman short as well.  Maybe we will get some more interesting shorts.

Beware was OK enough that I'll check it out again.  I was trying to figure out where in the timeline everything was, but I guess the minute there was Lt. Gordon, my question was answered.  I know that Alfred's backstory had him as a spy, it's different to see him as Jason Statham who's mentoring Bruce instead of the elderly figure who provides emotional support.

I thought the outfit looked good.  I thought the fighting looked good.  I was tired during the first watch through an dozed off for part of the debut, I caught it partially this morning, so I'm not 100% in watching the whole thing.

*ahem* As I said in another thread before finding this one...

First episode of Beware the Batman: Kinda halfway between pulp style and Morrison lunacy. Struggles a bit with its tone. Turning Professor Pyg into a Poison Ivy-esque motivation is questionable. But it's *different*, both from the comics and from any animated series while still being very much a Batman show. Badass Alfred, Katana set as a genuine equal partner, Pyg charging Batman with a hacksaw...it's a lot of fun to watch and I'm excited to see what else they come up with.

All said, it's not as good as Young Justice was, but it was probably a hotter start than Young Justice had. We'll see how it goes.

I really liked Beware the Batman & I am not digging Teen Titans Go at all. Totally fine with Green Lantern being gone, but I really miss Young Justice, that show was amazeballs. The Alfred in BtB was very much like the Alfred in Geoff Johns Batman: Earth One.

"Secret Agent" Alfred in Beware The Batman is more along the lines of Earth One Batman (Geoff Johns-Gary Frank) version correct?  The head of Wayne Security who became the proxy butler and caretaker of Bruce.

The closest I will  get to this new Avengers cartoon will be the Phineas and Ferb crossover

It's a shame with the A++ material that Marvel has, that they can't do something good that can sustain.  SSM and A:EMH are both fairly fantastic.  USM is bollocks and really AVASS really blows too so far.

• Like 1