DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

...Dawnstar and Karate Kid?  Are they they only Legionnaires involved?  Because my ears perked up at that.

Finally watched TF Prime: Predacons Rising tonight.  It was okay.  Weird way to end the series, though.  The entire third season was so badly compressed that nothing ever felt like it had room to breathe, especially after the bloated relic hunts of season 2.  There's all this shit going on, but none of it has any gravity or soul; even Optimus Prime's final decision just feels odd.

Apparently the next show is going to have a much lighter tone.  That's not inherently a bad thing; the wackiness of Beast Wars and Animated made the darker bits hit harder and mean more than in a relentlessly grim setting like BMac or Prime.    But if it's all going to be fluffy and cute like Rescue Bots, or randomly wacky like so many "boys'" shows of the current era, they may be disappointed in the results.

I don't know if its an official Disney account, but apparantly Disney has been putting up Gargoyles episodes on YouTube.  I know a lot of folks here enjoyed it, so there you go, enjoy!  I am, I completely forgot how great this series is.

Gargoyles is my favorite Wiesman series

This is the first time in a decade or more that there isn't a show either on the air or on the horizon that I am excited about. It's kind of depressing.

Weisman on the Star Wars thing has me interested.

Yeah, but that is a good year away practically.

The 1968 Filmation Batman is finally coming to DVD.  Yeah, nostalgia, but after suffering through the version with Adam West and Burt Ward, I'll be glad to see the original (hey, people could still punch each other back then!) 

And Ted Knight's Riddler is a guilty pleasure, if you've heard him, you know why. 

...Dawnstar and Karate Kid?  Are they they only Legionnaires involved?  Because my ears perked up at that.

Finally watched TF Prime: Predacons Rising tonight.  It was okay.  Weird way to end the series, though.  The entire third season was so badly compressed that nothing ever felt like it had room to breathe, especially after the bloated relic hunts of season 2.  There's all this shit going on, but none of it has any gravity or soul; even Optimus Prime's final decision just feels odd.

Apparently the next show is going to have a much lighter tone.  That's not inherently a bad thing; the wackiness of Beast Wars and Animated made the darker bits hit harder and mean more than in a relentlessly grim setting like BMac or Prime.    But if it's all going to be fluffy and cute like Rescue Bots, or randomly wacky like so many "boys'" shows of the current era, they may be disappointed in the results.

Yes.  On one hand I think of Animated.  On the other, I think of the Marvel shows and their mediocre replacements, and ESPECIALLY Ultimate Spider-Man. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting lists...and as bad as Fred and Barney Meet the Thing supposedly was, I think

the bottom 10 or bottom 2

slots could have been used to fit in a number of other shows.  I can see a case being made for one being "too hard" on The Batman, or either of the two "Ultimate" Marvel series just for being Replacement Scrappys, but still.  And no New Adventures of Batman???  I ended up getting through only half the episodes then giving up and giving it to my friend to sell on Half.com (http://shops.half.ebay.com/jeter421_W0QQ by the way...)  Imagine an EVEN MORE pacifistic Superfriends with an Orko times ten thousand, and you've got NAoB.  A case can be made for the Kennedy Cartoons season of Fantastic Four as well. 

The Best 10 seems to be based on nostalgia...

Superfriends and 1967 Spider-Man beat Justice League Unlimited?  Really?  Now I love both shows, but better than JLU?  Nooooooo...

Also...

he ranks X-Men: TAS in the Top 5, top 3 even, yet makes a point to mention how it doesn't hold up.

Instead of putting Fred and Barny on there twice, Spider-Man: Unlimited should've been on there.

Honestly, IMHO Avengers ranks higher than Young Justice.

Spidey Unlimited is there.

To me, YJ and EMH are equal pretty much, and in the same boat of Brilliant But Cancelled shows. 

Info on the new TF series:

http://www.newsarama.com/20590-transformers-returns-to-tv-with-all-new-series-in-2015.html

Good that they are continuing Prime, but I'll have to see the animation style in action to see if it works for me...(they say CGI but the Bumblebee in the picture is hand drawn.  Also, CGI + cel reminds me a bit of the Unicron Trilogy...)

I don't really consider it cancelled for Avengers.  They ordered 52 episodes, they made them, and the show got a decent ending of sorts.  Wasn't a gigantic cliffhanger at least.  A few subplots left out there, but a lot of shows have that.

http://www.newsarama.com/20590-transformers-returns-to-tv-with-all-new-series-in-2015.html

Good that they are continuing Prime, but I'll have to see the animation style in action to see if it works for me...(they say CGI but the Bumblebee in the picture is hand drawn.  Also, CGI + cel reminds me a bit of the Unicron Trilogy...)

The artwork of Bumblebee there looks more like Transformers Animated.

So doesn't this basically mean no Optimus Prime?

Interesting lists...and as bad as Fred and Barney Meet the Thing supposedly was, I think

the bottom 10 or bottom 2

slots could have been used to fit in a number of other shows.  I can see a case being made for one being "too hard" on The Batman, or either of the two "Ultimate" Marvel series just for being Replacement Scrappys, but still.  And no New Adventures of Batman???  I ended up getting through only half the episodes then giving up and giving it to my friend to sell on Half.com (http://shops.half.ebay.com/jeter421_W0QQ by the way...)  Imagine an EVEN MORE pacifistic Superfriends with an Orko times ten thousand, and you've got NAoB.  A case can be made for the Kennedy Cartoons season of Fantastic Four as well. 

The Best 10 seems to be based on nostalgia...

Superfriends and 1967 Spider-Man beat Justice League Unlimited?  Really?  Now I love both shows, but better than JLU?  Nooooooo...

Also...

he ranks X-Men: TAS in the Top 5, top 3 even, yet makes a point to mention how it doesn't hold up.

Big cartoon missing from the 10 Best is The Spectacular Spider-Man. I only have it second to Batman: The Animated Series. I'd have Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes higher. Can't say much about the 10 Worst as I've only watched Swamp Thing as a kid and I really liked it.

Thanks Natural.  No show will ever touch BTAS.  Such a great show.  I was in high school when it came out and I was hooked.  So good.  

Glad you liked it. Always had an interest in behind the scenes pieces whether written or on camera. I also grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series and I agree no show will ever touch it. The greatest.

Thanks Natural.  No show will ever touch BTAS.  Such a great show.  I was in high school when it came out and I was hooked.  So good.  

How weird was I? I used to rush down the driveway after being dropped off by the bus, because I didn't want to miss the show's opening and Bats punching those bad guys in the shadows.  If I had been a small child, I could understand.  But I was practically grown!  Good memories, though. :)

• Like 3

Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.

This should make The Natural happy. Also everyone else.

Unless this was already widely known and I just missed the news. In that case, disregard this post.

• Like 1

How weird was I? I used to rush down the driveway after being dropped off by the bus, because I didn't want to miss the show's opening and Bats punching those bad guys in the shadows.  If I had been a small child, I could understand.  But I was practically grown!  Good memories, though. :)

Awesome.

Animation – Warner Bros. Animation has created two all-new Batman animated shorts set for debut in April, with fan-favorite producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and Darwyn Cooke (Batman Beyond) each presenting a unique and familiar take on the Batman animated universe. In addition, Timm will participate in a Batman 75th all-star panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on Saturday, April 19, which will also feature an exclusive premiere of Cooke’s animated short based upon Batman Beyond.

This should make The Natural happy. Also everyone else.

Unless this was already widely known and I just missed the news. In that case, disregard this post.

I didn't know about it. Cheers, The Z.

So for those who haven't noticed, the first Beware the Batman DVD has two previously unaired episodes...and ends on a cliffhanger! Fortunately the show's back on the air. In New Zealand. 

Episodes 13-15 makes one of the best animated three parters I can think of, too.

Goddammit Cartoon Network. WHY ARE YOU MAKING IT SO EASY TO HATE YOU?