DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

The CGI reboot above in vid is for kids mostly, and probably some older people will prefer it for the male lead. Some of the same people who hated Kevin Smith's version also hate that version too.  Still, people on youtube are crying about the CGI version being also "woke".

Watching some Spidey and his Amazing Friends 

forgot this Wolverine was Australian. 
lots of in jokes as the halowwen costume party

best thing is Hans Conreid of all people as the Chameleon, basically doing Smidley Whiplash. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 12:15 AM, odessasteps said:

Watching some Spidey and his Amazing Friends 

forgot this Wolverine was Australian. 
lots of in jokes as the halowwen costume party

best thing is Hans Conreid of all people as the Chameleon, basically doing Smidley Whiplash. 

Oh "10 Little Superheroes" is one of my favorite episodes and features the definitive Namor like "That isn't water, it's ALCOHOL!!"

The first X-Men episode has the great bellowing Juggernaut voice. Of course this and the Cyberiad episode help pave the way for Pryde of the X-Men which led to the Konami arcade cabinet game.

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have mixed feelings about Injustice.  The first 50 min moved briskly and held my interest.  The script is handicapped by having far too much source material for an 80 min movie, but that's to be expected.  A lot of good character moments either got cut out or hotshotted so it feels dumbed down at times.

The last 25 min annoyed me more than anything.  Without giving too much away, there's a good old-fashioned superhero teamup followed by a surprisingly upbeat ending.

I'd say it's worth a watch, but anyone coming for a faithful adaptation of the comics/games is probably going to be disappointed.  The last third of the movie is basically its own thing and wraps the conflict up very neatly with no hope for a sequel. 

I want to like this new Bruce Timm but I'm worries I keep seeing him day they will be able do stuff they couldn't do on BTAS because of network standards and practices. 

So I guess episodes full of the stuff in that infamous sketch he did about what they couldn't do on BTAS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYDjYKk8kf8

That sound you hear is all the incels that whined endlessly about Teela doing the mental gymnastics to figure out what to scream about now that they've been proven wrong.

I loved the first half of the series.  That trailer has me really excited for the rest.

Buuuuuut, maybe they could've shown a little less?  I mean, the first episodes ended on a pretty good cliffhanger, and they just gave away the outcome in that trailer.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, Matt D said:

Trailer for that :

Bryan Q. Miller, who among other things wrote maybe the best DC superhero comic of the 00s in the Stephanie Brown run of Batgirl, is showrunner. But that art design is doing it no favors.

I didn't like the art design style with the massive upper bodies and arms and tiny toothpick legs. That said, the show was awesome. Great voice-cast and reinterpretation of the characters. Everything was different, but it felt familiar enough to work. IE, Cringer basically being this de-clawed pack leader, but he already has this noble spirit like Aslan. Also Skeletor was great in this show.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:38 AM, Matt D said:

Dialogue was quite good on that. 9 year old had been into the Kevin Smith MOTU but liked the Bryan Q. Miller one more.

I in no way hate the Revelation show, but I think I did find myself preferring Miller's series more oddly enough. 

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/this-week-in-marvel-exclusive-interview-x-men-97-animated-series-hits-disney-plus

It's official the 1990s X-Men animated series is getting revived. Some members of the original cast will be reprising their roles, such as Cal Dodd as Wolverine. The original series creators Larry Houston, Eric & Julia Lewald will only be on board in a consulting role. That does concern me somewhat but we'll see how it goes.

On a personal level, I'm not sure about a revival for this series. The show actually had a pretty good series finale and had a satisfying ending. Not sure where you go from there. I much would've had revivals of Wolverine and the X-men and/or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, so we can finally get some Surtur resolution.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I in no way hate the Revelation show, but I think I did find myself preferring Miller's series more oddly enough. 

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/this-week-in-marvel-exclusive-interview-x-men-97-animated-series-hits-disney-plus

It's official the 1990s X-Men animated series is getting revived. Some members of the original cast will be reprising their roles, such as Cal Dodd as Wolverine. The original series creators Larry Houston, Eric & Julia Lewald will only be on board in a consulting role. That does concern me somewhat but we'll see how it goes.

On a personal level, I'm not sure about a revival for this series. The show actually had a pretty good series finale and had a satisfying ending. Not sure where you go from there. I much would've had revivals of Wolverine and the X-men and/or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, so we can finally get some Surtur resolution.

That show is what got me into X-men and Marvel in general so I'm pretty happy with this, especially Dodd returning as Wolverine. He is still the voice I hear in my head when I read the comics. Beyond that it will be nice to see what they do story and style wise with less limitations.

A W&TXM revival wouldn't have been bad, but that second season of EMH dropped a good deal in quality. It would probably better under Marvel Studios, but I almost rather they just start over with a new series instead.

Actually as much as I'm looking forward X-men 97 I have to admit I would rather see an X-men series that tries to cover most of the big periods from the comics in order.

i'm psyched about X-Men '97. buying bootleg VHS of the OG series was one of my first big purchases on eBay. i have since upgraded to the official dvds, but the point stands. i love that show. it is what introduced me to the X-Men.

i'd love to see resolutions to some of Marvel's other series that ended prematurely. Silver Surfer and Spider-Man in particular (speaking of which, how has that never gotten a dvd release stateside?)

• Like 1

So the end of the Netflix  Masters of the Universe was pretty great, though I was expecting Zodak to show up and be sort of a Metron-esque observer but that end scene setting hopeful sequel made me smile!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1