DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Also, I won't lie, very disappointed dthat there are no musical call backs to the classic MOTU music. I always liked the He-man theme, even if it was repetitve as hell

James

7 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Also, I won't lie, very disappointed dthat there are no musical call backs to the classic MOTU music. I always liked the He-man theme, even if it was repetitve as hell

James

That was my biggest issue with the Voltron remake.

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

Yeah, this was my only gripe was that the classic theme wasn't there for the transformation.  I'm hoping that gets rectified for the back half of the season (that Smith says is only needing the score assembled into the cut), but I'm not counting on it (since Voltron never got the classic score put it).

I'm lucky that I'm just old enough to have no nostalgia for the American action cartoons of that era (MOTU, transformers. GI Joe, Thundercats) even if I did watch them off and on. I think the only show of that era I'd like to see revived is Visionaries, where modern CGI would help the premise. 

I would also exclude Silverhawks, which I thought had an interesting premise, but it felt more like anim, given all its tropes. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

big fan of the He-Man cartoons, both the 80s version and the 2002 reboot. Thought this series was awesome so far and am very much looking forward to the 2nd half.

i think a big problem is that they leaned heavily into this being a direct sequel to the 80s series. it didn't match that in story, in tone, in animation, or really any other way. it is an awesome story, but it is not the same. IMO that's why there's a lot of resentment (well, that and misogny).

i marked out for:

Spoiler

Wonderbread He-Man

Man, I really liked the new Masters of the Universe.  I was a big fan of He Man as a kid.  I realized that I had the figure of pretty much every character we see on this series.  I don't however, have much of a recollection of any storylines from the original show.  I remember the overall story, but no specific storylines.  I thought this new series was really well-done. It did some new things while peppering in the old characters here and there.  My four-year-old son watched it with me and was totally into it.  He's dying to see what happens next after that cliffhanger ending.

Subject change...I also finished my rewatch of The Venture Bros today.  I couldn't remember if the series wrapped up or not.  Googling around a little tells me that the series was actually cancelled, but there's a movie in the works to wrap things up.  I can't wait for that.  This is really one of my favorite series (animated or otherwise), so I'd love to see it's attention to detail rewarded by being able to tie things up nicely.

• Like 1

The Long Halloween Part 2 - OK seeing Sofia animated made me wish there was a goddam Ms. Tree  animated series

Edit - in the end this isn't  really The Long Halloween. Its fan fiction as to how the screenwriter wanted Long Halloween to play out and make it so they don't attempt Dark Victory

James

Edited by J.H.

There is a Metalocalypse film (finally) coming out again along with the Ventures movie, to wrap that story up. Criminal that the falling out with Adult Swim over whatever cut that one off at the knees. 

So wait, there are two He-Man shows? Which one is the anime-ish version that got the trailers posted here? I'm supposing that's not the Smith one? (I'm fine with him sometimes, so may like that.) Also, if anybody hasn't seen the documentary series about toy manufacturing on Netflix you might wanna check the He-Man one out, though all of them are good. The My Little Pony one is especially interesting, and that was the one I watched last out of the whole series. 

• Like 1

Masters of the Universe is the animated cartoon version. He Man and the Masters of the Universe reboot is the CGI version not aired yet.

MOTU isn't really the 80's cartoon sequel but spiritual successor, it also borrows stuff from other media adaptations and changes some stuff around and drops some filmation only related stuff.

Edited by D.Z

for anybody hesitating to watch the MOTU stuff because of Kevin Smith's attachment, i think it's very much a non-issue. This doesn't feel, sound, or look like his standard projects. If you're interested in the premise (or the discussion), i'd say check it out.

• Like 1

Catwoman-first-image-H-2021.jpg?w=681&h=

Catwoman is going from hunter to the hunted in a new animated film. Catwoman: Hunted will voice-star Elizabeth Gillies as Catwoman, who joins a slew of DC characters for the animated film produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Hunted, which is produced in an anime style, picks up with Catwoman as she attempts to steal a priceless jewel. The heist puts her squarely in the crosshairs of both a powerful consortium of villains and the ever-resourceful Interpol as well as Batwoman, voiced by Stephanie Beatriz.

Other stars include Jonathan Banks as Black Mask, Steve Blum as Solomon Grundy, Lauren Cohan as Julia Pennyworth, Keith David as Tobias Whale, Zehra Fazal as Talia al Ghul and Nosferata, Jonathan Frakes as King Faraday and Boss Moxie, Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Barbara Minerva/Cheetah, Kelly Hu as Cheshire, Andrew Kishino as Mr. Yakuza and Domino 6, Eric Lopez as Domino 1, Jacqueline Obradors as La Dama, and Ron Yuan as Doctor Tzin.

Shinsuke Terasawa is directing from a script by Greg Weisman. Ethan Spaulding produces, along with Colin A.B.V. Lewis. Sam Register executive produces.

Really like Catwoman getting a solo film, the casting of Stephanie Beatriz as Batwoman and it's written by Greg Weisman. Not keen on the look of it based on that one picture.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, D.Z said:

The other Masters of the Universe show

heman.jpg

Based on the toys, I dunno yet. I much prefer the art style of the Powerhouse/Kevin Smith series.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSsPS51slzo/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=4e140f1d-3d6a-4aac-9d07-3e06adde3131

I think they went way too exaggerated on these designs. Tiny heads, giant torsos and shoulders, tiny twig like legs. Even Bruce Timm character models are more balanced IMO.