DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Except for the last scene before the title of the movie appears(which I presume is the climax that they most likely spent the majority of the budget on), this has to be one of the worst, and cheapest looking DTV they've released judging by that trailer alone.

I'm particularly curious what older school cartoons are good ut don't get much mention. My 5yo daughter has fallen in love with Jonny Quest and Samurai Jack. I have Birdman & the Galaxy Trio and Defenders of the Earth for my next visitation ... along with My Little Pony: Equestria Girls & some Monster High nonsense to keep her from perhaps becoming a lesbian (I'd love her anyway!).

Real Adventures was never a big hit, but it's aged reasonably well anytime they aren't referencing or using the Questworld VR system.  The fact that the two seasons were made by entirely different production teams, with different casts, writers, etc. and the S2 team went out of their way to kill off all the S1 villains is a big problem.

I find that the 60s Hanna-Barberra superhero stuff like Space Ghost, Birdman, etc. is really hit-or-miss.  The best episodes are pretty much perfect examples of how to tell a complete story in 6 minutes and still have some drama to it, but the majority don't hold up nearly that well.  More recent stuff (roughly contemporary to Defenders) that I still love:

Galaxy Rangers (DVDs aren't cheap, but the whole run is on Hulu) is all over the map.  The animation is kind of a mess, and it goes WAY too broad with the comedy, but the space Western aesthetic is excellent, the characters are well-defined and do a little bit of progressing (which was rare for the time) and the villains give you a nice mix of ludicrous caricatures (Lazarus Slade, for instance, is basically Rhett Butler crossed with Yosimite Sam, as a mad scientist, in space) and more genuinely menacing figures (OH GOD SCARECROW).  Might be a LITTLE dark, but if the kid's seen Sam Jack it's not likely.

Exosquad: The production design is seriously 90s-post-cyberpunk (the hair will give you nightmares) but it's probably the best attempt we'll ever get to make a Japanese-style mecha show in the US.  Heavily serial, so you kind of have to watch 'em in order.  Hulu.

Blackstar: A little darker and weirder than most of Filmation's action-driven shows, nothing special but if she likes DotE it's worth looking into.  Beats the shit out of He-Man...(oddly, I think this may be the one Filmation show that's not on Hulu or Netflix.)

Flash Gordon (1970s version): Filmation's first use of Flash, long before DotE.  The first season is, without room for argument, THE BEST version of the character that's ever been done outside the original comics.  The second season has everything that made Filmation so problematic, right down to a tiny dragon for comic relief.  Also on Hulu.

Inhumanoids: Just kidding.  

Real Adventures was never a big hit, but it's aged reasonably well anytime they aren't referencing or using the Questworld VR system. The fact that the two seasons were made by entirely different production teams, with different casts, writers, etc. and the S2 team went out of their way to kill off all the S1 villains is a big problem.

I find that the 60s Hanna-Barberra superhero stuff like Space Ghost, Birdman, etc. is really hit-or-miss. The best episodes are pretty much perfect examples of how to tell a complete story in 6 minutes and still have some drama to it, but the majority don't hold up nearly that well. More recent stuff (roughly contemporary to Defenders) that I still love:

Galaxy Rangers (DVDs aren't cheap, but the whole run is on Hulu) is all over the map. The animation is kind of a mess, and it goes WAY too broad with the comedy, but the space Western aesthetic is excellent, the characters are well-defined and do a little bit of progressing (which was rare for the time) and the villains give you a nice mix of ludicrous caricatures (Lazarus Slade, for instance, is basically Rhett Butler crossed with Yosimite Sam, as a mad scientist, in space) and more genuinely menacing figures (OH GOD SCARECROW). Might be a LITTLE dark, but if the kid's seen Sam Jack it's not likely.

Exosquad: The production design is seriously 90s-post-cyberpunk (the hair will give you nightmares) but it's probably the best attempt we'll ever get to make a Japanese-style mecha show in the US. Heavily serial, so you kind of have to watch 'em in order. Hulu.

Blackstar: A little darker and weirder than most of Filmation's action-driven shows, nothing special but if she likes DotE it's worth looking into. Beats the shit out of He-Man...(oddly, I think this may be the one Filmation show that's not on Hulu or Netflix.)

Flash Gordon (1970s version): Filmation's first use of Flash, long before DotE. The first season is, without room for argument, THE BEST version of the character that's ever been done outside the original comics. The second season has everything that made Filmation so problematic, right down to a tiny dragon for comic relief. Also on Hulu.

Inhumanoids: Just kidding.

Her momma has Hulu for their house, I may try to sneak in for the sake of getting some time to search for some of these too. She will probably like some of the darker adventure shows ... she also surprisingly digs things like Thundarr and my WAC release of Dragon's Lair. It breaks her little heart when I tell her about the videogame & she all but questions what kind of god could allow such a thing to not be accessible on her little tablet.

So has anyone watched Justice League War or JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time yet?

I watched War last night.  While I don't follow any comics regularly, I watch most comic-based movies that come out and DC's animated universe really is its bread and butter.  That being said I didn't think this was anything special.  Most of it reminded me so much of The Avengers (group of superheroes trying to work together to take out a mass alien invasion coming through a portal in a major city) I couldn't really get into it that much.  They weren't using any really decent voice actors for the main cast that worked so well in the Doomsday movie.

i watched "trapped in time" and it was better than i expected. the "all ages" tag being thrown around doesn't really mean much as it kinda feels like the animated series. a bit too much emphasis on Dawnstar and Karate Kid tho. oh, and Bader as Batman is always a good thing.