DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

I heard that interview, I think he pointed out that he thought Adventure Time did a smart thing by sort of doing the female versions of Finn and Jake to sort of give girls characters to latch on to.

We saw those characters like once or twice though and they turned out to be fan fiction characters created by the Ice King.

I think stronger examples of this would be Princess Bumblegum and Flame Princess.

Marceline is pretty much the top choice, I'd think. Peebz is pretty great too though.

Have you seen the 1960s "The Marvel Super Heroes" show, with super-limited animation traced from original comic art accompanied by wooden acting and decent music?

Picture that, but built on the Reg Hudlin/JRJr Panther series.  In other words, it's shit on toast.

• Like 1

This was my review of the Black Panther mini-series in a drunken group e-mail thread that myself and a bunch of my comic nerd friends have had going for a few years. I could edit this to sound less asinine but eh who cares.

watched the 6 episode Black Panther mini-series this weekend that was produced by BET, but apparently only aired in australia, because the US was mad that stan lee played a racist politician and there was a character that is supposedly based on condalozze rice. ??? i remember first seeing this promoted and i guess i was aware of it as a DVD release because i distinctly recall it coming out around the time it aired, in 2010 or so? who knows. marvel animation is such a fucking mess. here's hoping the inhumans movie has its shit together.

anyway, black panther, it was pretty good. very different, definitely feels like an MTV oddities series. shades of the maxx in a good way. the tone and sense of humor have a good amount of BET flavor (if you get my drift) which gets pretty obnoxious at points (capt america with a super gruff stereotypical white dude voice ala the punisher? a boondocks style cut to a lifestyles of the rich and famous reference? radioactive man recasted as a white guy so he can call a black girl a monkey? check check and mate). the animation style is more like a motion comic but like i said if you liked the maxx (and if you don't like the maxx then fuck you) then it's nothing you haven't seen before. a lot of online reviews are crying about how it should have been more than a glorified motion comic but give me this over your typical generic anime style comic adaptation any day. at least the romita jr artwork has character.

a lot of the characters feel less than authentic, for the majority it works fine (klaw batroc and black knight are all reinterpreted decently), but for some like juggernaut it leaves a sour taste. for those of you who have been waiting for jill scott to play a much better storm than halle berry, here's your chance. voice cast is generally good but the dude who plays black panther is the weakest link by far. even weaker than racist stan lee cameo (which is surprisingly way better than his live action performances). this dude djimon hounsou, apparently he's an african model or something, i don't know, he has the range of a piece of cardboard and sounds like he's never taken an acting lesson in his life. and has a mouth full of marbles.

good but not great, with a little less exposition and a better casting choice overall, this could have been something special. as it is, well worth a watch.
cleardot.gif
  • Like 1

Nope, BET never aired it at all.  Reginald Hudlin contents BET didn't want to show because the audience for it would have been "young and male" (um, what?  Isn't that BET's target demographic).

I vaguely remember renting it, and thinking it was average at best.  General impression was that the writing wasn't good and the motion-comic style animation looked cheap.  I don't remember it very well, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have more vivid memories of hating Hudlin's Black Panther comic, for what that's worth.

At least Kevin's Clerks comics were decent (and I like his GA a fair amount, although Meltzer* surpassed him by a lot.  I don't....  hate his DD.)

*Speaking of the topic at hand....

Meltzer's GA is the best thing he's ever written and the only one that didn't make me want to punch him in the face at least once.

Identity Crisis has great moments but as a whole it's problematic at best, and pretty bad at worst. 

His Justice League run is actively terrible.

In any case, Winick's run smoked both of theirs. Before going batshit fucking crazy at the end.

I liked Meltzer's JLA run a lot (just reread it two weeks ago, actually).  I'd say it's anything but "actively terrible".  But, yeah, his GA story was great.  I think I would have liked both Smith's and Meltzer's run with a different artist.  Hester's stuff doesn't do much for me.

Smith's hit and miss with me, more miss,  GA was ok.  I fairly liked Daredevil.

Nope, BET never aired it at all.  Reginald Hudlin contents BET didn't want to show because the audience for it would have been "young and male" (um, what?  Isn't that BET's target demographic).

Shit, when your own network won't air something you did, it HAS to be bad.

I liked Meltzer's JLA run a lot (just reread it two weeks ago, actually).  I'd say it's anything but "actively terrible".  But, yeah, his GA story was great.  I think I would have liked both Smith's and Meltzer's run with a different artist.  Hester's stuff doesn't do much for me.

Smith's hit and miss with me, more miss,  GA was ok.  I fairly liked Daredevil.

The first volume leads with them doing a draft. Then there's the big moment where Roy gets the call instead of Ollie and it's a great passing of the torch moment. Then you realize these things aren't connected because the big three haven't made a decision and Ollie's friends basically just snubbed him out of going to look for Red Tornado. Then a whole bunch of stupid shit happens and the League ends up being a slapdash team of everyone involved in the case, thus making absolutely everything they built up off the jump completely irrelevant.

Then the Lightning Saga happens and takes SIX ISSUES to do approximately fucking nothing before bringing back Wally. 

Issues 11 and 12 are pretty solid standalones, but holy god his run is offensively terrible. It takes the problem Identity Crisis had (Great sentimental and/or pop moments, solid concept with no cohesion to link them) and makes it worse by having that lack of cohesion more or less ruin the great moments through context.

Fuck his run.

• Like 1

Shit, when your own network won't air something you did, it HAS to be bad.

I wouldn't say it was bad. I thought it was interesting and had its moments. It is too bad animation in this country sucks that any attempt to be unique gets dismissed as terrible.

• Like 2

So thoughts on Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Hulk: Agents of S.M.A.S.H in the Marvel Universe block.

I got eleven episodes into Ultimate Spider-Man’s first series and gave up on it. I’ve since seen some of the newer episodes which I liked a tad more than the previous ones. However it’s still my least favourite Spider-Man TV series out of the ones I’ve watched: Spider-Man (1960s), Spider-Man (1990s), The Spectacular Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man. I wish we still had The Spectacular Spider-Man.

I’ve watched about five or six episodes of Avengers Assemble (not to be confused with the name of The Avengers film in the UK) and I like what I’ve seen. I prefer Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes to it but I watched every episode of that unlike the sample size of Avengers Assemble.

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H is okay but that’s the one I’ve seen the least.

What’s with the changes in widescreen to full screen and full screen to widescreen in Avengers Assemble/Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H?

• Like 1