DVDVR Message Board

Raw Has A Hole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On - 2/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Meant to post this here than the imagery thread.

File another one under "Charlotte has zero instincts if her opponent doesn't do exactly what she expects." Good lord.

Everyone lamenting there's not enough women's feuds outside the title picture shouldn't have wished on that monkey's paw. 

• Haha 2

Nia and Charlotte are both very good that even when they're supposed to be putting other people over they make it about themselves. Charlote's ridiculous constant laughing and Nia turning what should have been a babyface getting revenge on her into a comedy spot for herself is some Nash in WCW type behavior. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

File another one under "Charlotte has zero instincts if her opponent doesn't do exactly what she expects." Good lord.

Lacey not countering when she clearly was supposed to is Charlotte's fault?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Nia and Charlotte are both very good that even when they're supposed to be putting other people over they make it about themselves. Charlote's ridiculous constant laughing and Nia turning what should have been a babyface getting revenge on her into a comedy spot for herself is some Nash in WCW type behavior. 

I've seen this mentioned before, her laughing in defeat.  What are some of the most egregious examples?

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Lacey not countering when she clearly was supposed to is Charlotte's fault?

Nope. Charlotte's responsible for not thinking on the fly and deciding the best course of action was to go deer in the headlights. I know it's a different age and a different craft and a different caliber of opponents under completely different circumstances, but seeing Ric standing there and thinking about his reputation for calling matches on the fly versus Charlotte's inability to handle someone blowing her spot is a stark contrast. 

If she were a ref and someone forgot to kick-out, Charlotte's instinct would probably be to pull up instead of count three. 

It's a good thing nobody's watching and nothing matters. But that doesn't mean it's incumbent on Charlotte to make her work look like shit just because Lacey decided to daydream in the middle of their match. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, nate said:

I've seen this mentioned before, her laughing in defeat.  What are some of the most egregious examples?

The Royal Rumble - Bianca and Rhea eliminated her, the camera immediately zooms in on Charlotte's face and she is maniacally laughing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Everyone lamenting there's not enough women's feuds outside the title picture shouldn't have wished on that monkey's paw. 

I got a good laugh before the match when she tells Lacey "if you want to learn, go to the performance center". The fact they don't have Ric Flair teaching classes down there is downright insane. I like the angle for the feud. But Charlotte does not know how to improvise. If something doesn't go exactly to plan she freezes up as we saw when she stopped dead in her tracks in the clip above.

I think they forget they're on live tv sometimes. Just cause the WWE will edit it out on youtube doesn't mean much when it actually happens. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

Does Ric want to teach?

With Ric, I've always heard it said that there are some people who are great at teaching the fundamentals but they may have never made it big on the main stage, but then you have greats (and this was specifically said regarding Flair) who may have "it" and not necessarily be able to articulate what makes them great into a teachable format.

• Like 1

Just now, nate said:

With Ric, I've always heard it said that there are some people who are great at teaching the fundamentals but they may have never made it big on the main stage, but then you have greats (and this was specifically said regarding Flair) who may have "it" and not necessarily be able to articulate what makes them great into a teachable format.

From what JC has said, they had Eaton as a trainer in OVW and he was not great in explaining stuff to students. He was so instinctive in the ring it was hard to translate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The fact they don't have Ric Flair teaching classes down there is downright insane.

Hard disagree. They want their guys to be robots that script every spot out for the cameras. Every pose and entrance is timed exactly the same. They want people good at reciting scripted promos that random writers write for them. What about any of those skills screams Ric Flair? He could teach them to be great pro wrestlers in the mold of what he did. But what he did is the opposite of what they want. So it's not insane to me.

To nate's point, I always called it the Michael Jordan principle. Jordan was the unquestionable gaot in his time. But a lot of what make him a great athlete is just inherent to his DNA. It's not something you can teach. And it's not something great athletes are able to even verbalize to try and pass it on. That's why the best coaches are usually middle of the road guys. They had to work their ass off and study to get to the next level, instead of just being born great. That's why someone like Lance Storm is a far better trainer than Ric Flair probably could be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought Ric already had Covid.

Technically no - his wife had it but Ric claimed he never tested positive

Even if he did test positive, that doesn't mean he can't get it again

See... Braxton, Kayala