DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber XI - 2/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Yes - but then they are relying on Miz to hand hold Bunny through a 10-15 minute match

To be clear - I am not disagreeing with your point of what will get the most attention but if you are going to have the celebrity actually doing a match (and one who isn't a professional athlete) at some point you have to consider the actual match itself.

I mean yes you could smoke and mirror the hell out of it with a straight singles match but it is probably better to announce the tag match from the jump rather than potentially bait and switch the potential new audience

Sheets say that Bad Bunny's been very cooperative and training well for this stuff, but I do see your point on why having a Miz singles match could be problematic.

On the other hand, he's collaborated with Cardi B, so now I think they just con NBC into dumping money at her and do Priest/Bunny/Cardi vs Miz/Morrison/Taya.

They definitely seemed to have changed their mindset in regards to celebrities working matches.

Like I am trying to remember the last time a celebrity had their first match be a singles match (specifically WWE). Like I honestly think it might have been Floyd Mayweather

I mean they didn't trust Rhonda to wrestle a singles match (granted since it would have been a singles match against Steph... hoo boy)

16 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Kind of a boring show. I'm still begging them to book the Women's Tag Title scene without the singles champions involved. Speaking of booking the women... on the preshow they were hyping that someone would face Asuka. Did I hear that wrong or miss something? She wasn't on the show at all right? Wonder if there was some late game rewriting going on because the pre show was more of a mess than usual lol.

Nobody was ready, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The SD Elimination Chamber was very good. Everyone got a chance to shine, and all the babyfaces got an elimination. All the roles were covered: Cesaro as a wrestling savant, Bryan as a determined underdog, Jey as the vicious heel, KO as a man obsessed with revenge, Sami as the whimpering sneak, and Corbin as the jack of all trades. It moved at a good pace without feeling rushed. Jey Uso's arm spot with KO was brutal. 

They continued to tell Roman's story of being a jerk with nearly-unchecked backstage power by coming out immediately and beating down Bryan in 90 seconds. One hope spot followed by Bryan basically getting knocked out. Exactly what it needed to be. 

Edge choosing Roman as his WM match is no surprise. RAW still feels like they're trying to figure out what to do on that end. Roman is a far bigger star than Drew. Plus Edge pretty much called Drew a goober during their promo a couple of weeks ago, so go with the guy who poses a real challenge. Roman should win their match and continue as SD's kingpin uninterrupted as long as they can run with it. He's by far the most intriguing character in WWE.

The triple threat for the US title was fine. Not interested in Riddle.

The women's tag was solid enough, though I worry that they will overexpose Reginald similar to what they did with James Ellsworth. I hope they don't get the idea of inserting Carmella into the Bianca/Sasha story. She's not needed in that spot.

The RAW Elimination Chamber match was good, but didn't connect with me. There was nothing wrong with it. It just didn't have the same snap as the SD version. Kofi's yelling at Orton before the match started was funny. McIntyre's flying Claymore to Styles was great.

Miz winning the championship makes sense, in he'll be RAW's representative as the WWE Network moves to Peacock. He can promote WWE, RAW, Miz and Mrs, and Cannonball all in one swoop. Bless the dude and his hard work, but Drew's run has been lukewarm for me. Having no crowds has hurt him more than anyone else. But whereas others adapted to it, Drew seems to be looking for live interaction still. They likely will give him his true WM moment with a crowd, but I can't be bothered to care. Having Lashley involved in the main event scene has been needed for a while. It'll be interesting to see what Miz promised MVP to get Lashley to attack McIntyre before the cash-in. 

Enjoyable show, especially at just 2.5 hours.