DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: Vengeance Day - 2/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I'm assuming they lost the rights to "St. Valentine's Day Massacre". 

The Card: 

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Finn Balor (c) vs. Pete Dunne

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Io Shirai (c) vs. Toni Storm vs. Mercedes Martinez

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Johnny Gargano (c) vs. KUSHIDA

FINALS OF THE 2021 MEN'S DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC

FINALS OF THE 2021 WOMEN'S DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC

They should have just left it as Vengeance. Still, I'm generally looking forward to the card.

Hoping the finals for the men is Ciampa/Thatcher vs. Legado del Fantasma. That said I think any of the possible combinations right now should work.

For the women I want Raquel/Dakota vs. Shotzi/Ember.

I mean when Kyle O Reilly and Adam Cole has feuded it has been great whether it is PWG or Ring of Honor.  Whether they will be aloud to have those kind of matches in NXT we will see.    Cole should really never be a face.   And technically he never was he just wrestled people who were bigger assholes than him 

I decided I'd watch the show and try to give nXt another chance. I hadn't watched anything in a few months. 

Kushida. Holy shit. Y'all been holding out on me. Love that guy. Will be seeking out more from him. Gargano, not so much. He just feels so... self-indulgent. That seems to be an epidemic amongst this brand's roster.

So, I wish I knew who it was in the front office that felt the need to corporate-brand the living shit out of anyone who's even slightly out of the box. Shotzi Blackheart is fantastic. I love her look. I think her work matches her gimmick really well. But calling her a "Ballsy badass" just reeks of "please like her! She's edgy and trendy like those girls working at Hot Topic you all seem to like so much! Buy a 'Ballsy Badass' thermos on WWEShop.com and show everyone at school how cool you are!" It absolutely stinks to high heaven that they just refuse to let her be her without getting their shitty "try hard" energy all over it. She deserves better. They all do, really. 

I'm perplexed as to why some more well-known teams weren't in the men's Dusty finals, but they seem to like the MSK guys. 

There was nothing wrong with Dunne/Balor, but again, it just felt really pretentious and self-indulgent. I think I'm just past the point of wanting to see drawn out matches with lots of big movez and elongated selling. Not every nXt match has to be epic. Tell the story and go the fuck home. The postmatch was fine. I find the UE guys to be the worst culprits of this over indulgent horseshit, so maybe their dissolution will lead to some change in the way nxt does things. Or maybe this shit just isn't for me.

The women's tag started off decently enough and really picked up towards the end. Gonzalez has really come into her own as of late and this was the best I can remember her looking.

It's been a while since I've had any interest in Big Match Johnny. While the NA match didn't have quite as much forced epic bullshit as a lot of NXT title bouts do it was still longer and more overdone than it needed to be. Kushida also should have gone over here. Every champion retained tonight and this was the one where I thought a title change was most needed. They could have gone home after that spanish fly into an armbar and it would have made more sense, not to mention not as stretched out.

I've been a fan of the Rascalz or whatever you want to call them for a while and was surprised how big a push they were given straight out of the gate. Last week's match against LDP was excellent and in a just world would be the start of another of the great tag team rivalries we've seen in NXT in the past. While it seems odd to say this about a Takeover match, I actually think it could have gone longer, being given a few minutes of some of the other matches that could have been pared down a bit.

There wasn't anything flat out bad about the women's title match, but I would have been much more interested in singles matches between any of the competitors involved. Not sure where they go from here as far as the title picture goes.

Balor only interests me as much as who he's in the ring with. I like Dunne a lot so this had the potential to be good. The match was fine, but suffered from the forced epic format that so many NXT matches do. I would also have liked to see Dunne come out on top as a Balor/Cole feud doesn't interest me in the slightest. The heel turn at the end was a bit of a surprise, but UE are way past their sell by date so it'll be good to see some of them do other stuff.

Io/Mercedes/Toni was criminally short and really under-delivered, IMO. I don't know if it's happened, but I'd love a singles match between any combo of those three. I'll check out the women's Dusty Cup final later tonight, I heard that was really good.

Didn't watch anything before it, and turned the show off immediately after it. As usual, nothing about the men in NXT (or on the main roster) interests me in any way, shape or form.

I also love that Rhea Ripley was the runner up in the Royal Rumble, aaaaand... she hasn't been seen since, on any brand. Great job, just really fantastic. 

IT really feels like there should've been a title change tonight. Didn't matter which one, but this status quo stuff isn't getting it done. Either Kushida should've beaten Gargano or Martinez should've pulled off the upset.

• Like 1

Thought Dakota/Raquel vs. Ember/Shotzi was really good. Hopefully we get a rematch for the titles at some point.

Loved a lot of Kushida/Gargano, but it went 4-5 minutes too long and had the wrong winner if they were going that route. Really dug how intense Kushida was at times along with how he much he outwrestled Johnny the first 8-10 minutes. This should have been Kushida's time, especially with the Way getting pulled away.

MSK vs. GYV was good as expected. Liked seeing the more serious/angry side of MSK showing.

The triple threat was definitely underwhelming and short. Still perfectly solid, but they deserved more. Hopefully we get singles matches next time.

Balor/Dunne was good though I agree it got a bit self-indulgent. Dunne can overdo it with the finger breaking stuff at times, and this was one of those times. Dug a lot of the leg work Finn did. In general it seemed like they were trying to go the route Finn did with O'Reilly and missed the mark a bit. 

Overall I enjoyed the show though it wasn't quite at the level I thought it could have hit. I think the Dusty Cup Finals were the best matches.

The women's tag started off weird for me, but picked up toward the end. Similar to the women's War Games match last year, someone booked to where the faces came across heelish in spots. Wound up being good, but not one I'll go back and watch. The ref was brutally bad here. Curious to see where they go with the women's tag titles. Feels like Raquel should be up soon for Io. I'm wondering if they have Raquel say Dakota is holding her back should they not get team gold to set up a future feud with them.

They should have had KUSHIDA win here, but I went in suspecting he wouldn't. I'm pretty much out on Gargano.  He's a good wrestler. I wish I enjoyed him more. But they ran him into the ground during his epic main events and the feelings still linger. They had KUSHIDA work over Gargano's arm for nearly 30 minutes to amount for nothing.

MSK winning was the feel good moment for the night. I've seen clips of them during their Impact run, but this was my first time watching a full match for them. They came across really well. Don't know if I would have had GYV lose the Dusty Classic two years in a row but a great match, lots of fun.

Women's title match was far too short. They could have taken 5 minutes from Gargano-KUSHIDA and added it here. Mercedes Martinez looked fantastic. There isn't anywhere Io won't jump from. The announcer's table collapsing as Toni Storm started clearing it was funny. With all the talent they had in the ring, this match could have went 20-25 minutes and been amazing. I don't know why they don't do that more often.

Balor-Dunne started slow, but picked up steam and finished strong. Dunne is incredible, I hope they find better footing for him in Orlando. Not keen on Cole being back in the main scene, but he's better as a heel and hopefully O'Reilly wins their upcoming battle.

A very good show. Nothing whiffed. The first two matches weren't my cup of tea, but they weren't bad. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about Cole being in the title picture. The ending felt more like Cole vs. KoR with Roddy in the middle, and they've been planting seeds for Balor to face Kross. UE breaking up is also long overdue.

I really like the way Finn has been working since he won the belt. He wrestles like a true ace and makes getting any offense on him look like a struggle. Night and day from his first run. Feels like the whole "demon" thing is completely unnecessary now.

• Like 3