DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 2/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Kacy/Kayden vs. Raquel/Kai had some off moments but was generally solid fun. Loved that dive off the pillar Kacy did.

Gargano's interview segment leading to his ass kicking from Kushida was fun.

Toni/Kamea was a decent a showing for Kamea before Mercedes came in. Kind of love Stone & Aliyah pulling Kamea away from the brawl. Both were well aware of what Mercedes is capable of and didn't want their newest signee to die.

The Tian Sha stuff is still weird to me though it does serve as a way to explain why she tortured Xia and Boa for weeks. 

Ended up really enjoying Escobar/Stallion. Dug how far above Stallion Escobar worked the match. He was such a smug asshole throughout the match, and Stallion had some nice comebacks. The post match stuff with Kross was ok.

The Balor/Dunne segment with Edge was ok. Edge gave a nice enough speech, but its just too hard to buy into the idea of Edge challenging Finn or Dunne in NXT. Even moreso when neither Balor or Dunne were giving him the time of day. Surprisingly enough the outside meeting with Kross came off much better. I still don't want to see Edge in NXT, but for some reason I don't hate the idea of Edge/Kross. I'd rather they took that shit to the main roster.

Ciampa/Thatcher vs. Strong/Cole was pretty darn good, probably the best match in the tournament so far. Thatcher and Ciampa have a nice dynamic going. Kind of hope its them against MSK in the finals.

Edited by Eivion

The vignette for Tian Sha is wasted on NXT.  She is a Marvel Studios level villain.  

I wonder if there is enough time to write her into the mid-credit scene for Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I love Edge but looking at the above picture I have the "One of these things is not like the other" song in my head.  He's kind of like the metal-loving almost middle-aged dad trying to re-connect with the youth of today (yes, I know Balor's in his late 30s but point stands).  I know he's going to all three brands to see which champ to go for but not for one bit can I believe he'd want to challenge for the NXT title.  And it's fine to tease something with Kross but considering Kross's signature moves involve the neck I can't picture that match actually happening.

• Like 1

Kacy needs to retire he finisher before she hurts herself or her opponent. The first time she busted it out, she ended with a senton but I wasn't sure if she meant to do that or over/under-rotated.  Last night, it look like she landed feet-first on Racquel's face.  She doesn't seem to have control so I'm surprised the company is letting her do that.  Metlzer claimed Pac had to do the Red Arrow perfectly something like 20 times in a row before he was allowed to bust it out in a match.  

Still mystified by Karrion Kross' appeal.  Meltzer says they're going to fast-track him to the main roster because of his size, but he doesn't seem ready to me.

• Like 1

AEW tends to get most of the attention on Wednesdays and for good reason, but this was a damn good episode of wrestling. With a full house and no competition this show would have been about as good as peek NXT.

Enough has been said about the annoying nature of thrown together tag teams/guys who hate eachother so I'm not thrilled with Ciampa/Thatcher winning, but at the same time I'm pretty much over UE. All the other matches were good to solid with Stallion looking really impressive in his bout with Escobar.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Kacy needs to retire he finisher before she hurts herself or her opponent. The first time she busted it out, she ended with a senton but I wasn't sure if she meant to do that or over/under-rotated.  Last night, it look like she landed feet-first on Racquel's face.  She doesn't seem to have control so I'm surprised the company is letting her do that.  Metlzer claimed Pac had to do the Red Arrow perfectly something like 20 times in a row before he was allowed to bust it out in a match.  

She landed in a senton again so its probably supposed to be a senton.

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

Still mystified by Karrion Kross' appeal.  Meltzer says they're going to fast-track him to the main roster because of his size, but he doesn't seem ready to me.

He doesn't really fit NXT, and I don't buy him much as star regardless of where he appears. 

• Like 1

Enjoyable show this week. I think NXT has been pretty solid lately, probably my number one wrestling show at the moment with AEW going through a bit of a dull patch. 

I definitely think Kross the master manipulator rather than Kross the silent monster is the way to go. 

It looked like Kacy landed on her feet to me as well. I don't think that was intentional. She's a very impressive athlete though.

Edited by Tuna Boss

I felt so conflicted when Gonzalez was facing Kacy, but we knew how this one was going to go! Kai and Raquel should win the whole damn thing!

Legado vs Good Lucha Thing was really swank and I found myself thinking, I'd probably care if Escobar faced Lince Dorado. Good win for Legado and the match with MSK should be bonkers!

Escobar himself kept his composure quite well despite Scarlett being in his view much of the match. Stallion tried, but fell way short. I was kinda bummed that Escobar did leave the ring after standing his ground at first, when Kross told him to. But hey, it's not like I wouldn't have!

Ok, the mythological character should then probably kick even more ass than Xia Li, and that's saying something!

Yeah, I'm there for Balor - Dunne. Oh, and Edge was in the ring. They hardly noticed.

Theory vs Ruff was decent. That backwards leaping cutter thingy by Ruff is really something else. I figured that when Ruff outsmarted Gargano, he'd get done in by Theory, and yup.

The main event was super intense. Really looking forward to Thatcher & Ciampa vs GYV. Kross trying to punk out Edge via intimidation tactics was neat. Hey, I still like Edge a lot. More now than I did when he first retired.

Next week should be a blast and Vengeance Day should rule, too!

Catching up on multiple weeks of NXT, I have to say how funny it was that Edge had to say that he would have shrugged off advice "10" years ago, so as not to sound too old, when 21 years would be far more accurate for his character. Like, dude, 10 years ago you were 3 months from retiring.

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Catching up on multiple weeks of NXT, I have to say how funny it was that Edge had to say that he would have shrugged off advice "10" years ago, so as not to sound too old, when 21 years would be far more accurate for his character. Like, dude, 10 years ago you were 3 months from retiring.

Yeah, Edge! Ten years ago you couldn't have shrugged anything off because your neck was so fucked that you couldn't raise your arm, let alone shrug your shoulders! Yeah, I really like Edge, but he should have at least went with 15 years ago! However, it seems like when I talk about stuff happening, it was at least 15 years ago, so I can see why he'd choose a lower number despite it going against logic.