DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

It would be so easy to not miss shots if they didn't do so many Kevin Dunne cuts. 

Anyway, the door is busted down and I'm loving it. 

Maki Itoh, Sinz Minz, Aja Kong, Veny. They gave me the book, bruddah. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If they'd have built up Jade with video packages like that, the angle would've done SO much better... She's legit built like a Greek statue so yeah, shame on them for not thinking ahead.

Disappointed with Kingston/Archer II getting so many interruptions but eh, that's life. 

Camera work all around seemed off tonight, lots of missed shit. 

Britt/Thunder was match of the night despite the sloppy ending. 

MAKI ITOH!

KENTA!

• Like 1

JUST DO THE STUFF

KEEP ON DOING THE STUFF THAT YOU JUST DID

ahem

Tonight was a night of monstrously important things happening, although it didn't always seem it

Britt Baker has offense now?! Rollins-Style Curb Stomps and Air Raid Crashes for nearfalls? That was the biggest flaw in her game. This is big news.

No but seriously how do you have Jake Roberts on the roster and not at least make a cheap joke with him at the wedding.

MAKI ITOH

Main was just lovely.

And, like, uh, AEW and NJPW are collaborating on live US TV.

• Like 5

Have they said if the Japanese women's matches going to place in Japan and be shown over here at some point or what?

Solid show overall but I didn't care about the wedding segment as has been mentioned, they're never that entertaining.

The battle royale was a tool to further the Inner Circle dissention story, but I'll take that over the Bucks winning.

Speaking of annoying wrestling tropes, the ref sees the turnbuckle has been exposed but does nothing about it, even after it's obvious Rosa took a bump into it?

My brain just has a hard time processing that NJPW is officially working with AEW. I figured after the pandemic it would happen but imagine my surprise seeing KENTA. And you know, good for Flair's Shadow on the prediction too. I also had to laugh seeing Maki Itoh announced as I knew there would be a bunch of happy mofos on here. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of annoying wrestling tropes, the ref sees the turnbuckle has been exposed but does nothing about it, even after it's obvious Rosa took a bump into it?

Or the Good Brothers helping eliminate a battle royale contest right in front of them and doing nothing? 

• Like 2

Absolutely awesome show, loved it.

Thought the battle royal did a great job, even though Jericho & MJF may have been the obvious choices, there were several teams with their own stories/motivations in it where it could have believably gone many ways. I personally felt the Bucks would win and pick an Impact team to snub the Good Brothers like they did when Callis picked them over the Bucks as Omega's partners, and then Matt goes out in the first 5 minutes.  I thought Jungle Boy winning was possible, then I thought for sure Sammy would double cross MJF and eliminate him but that didn't exactly happen. Great Judas Effect finish. 

Britt/Rosa was excellent, lived up to the hype and build it had, great stuff. Good finish protecting Rosa but putting over Baker as dangerous. Popped big for the participants in the tournament. Even thought the Japan matches are taking place there and not in AEW proper, still stoked to see Yuka, Emi, and of course Aja back involved in addition to the awesome adds of Maki Itoh & VENY, that all just sounds great. 

Wedding was fun enough with a predictable ending. Loved Archer/Kingston again, so much chaos it ruled. I always mark out for Jake getting physically involved. Bear Country got their first prominent spot on a Dynamite. Thought Archer looked like a total star in victory. Can't wait for Shaq and the Black Tornado, surprised it's on Dynamite and not the PPV that week but I guess it makes sense for TNT. 

Great exciting main event with lots more chaos to enjoy. Pac's 450 to breakup Omega's pin ruled. Loved Archer getting involved in the main event mix again in the post-match. Epic surprise from KENTA, wasn't expecting that all having not been in this thread yet today. Perfect way to end an exciting night of action. So much going on and sets up for the future, great stuff all around. 

• Like 3

I feel like Mei and Saki (I know she's not in the bracket) doing the Mei Saint-Michel and Sakisama routine in America would get pretty over, especially Mei's tray spot and her reaction to it. They better show the Japanese side of the bracket bare minimum on Dark. My guess is a highlight package on Dynamite after airing the whole matches on Dark. But then that would mean Luther wouldn't get a squash or Dark would be 3 hours. So, Dark is going to be 3 hours. Anyway, good problem to have! Predictions for the Japan side? I hope it's Veny tbh. She's probably the best of the bunch but Itoh and Mei rule too so whatever (while Ito's improving in the ring she's still better as a character than a complete package wrestler and Mei has both character work and wrestling down already). I think I'm more excited about those three than I am 2021 Kenta lol. Of course, the implication of Kenny vs. Ibushi as champion vs. champion makes my pants tighten (I WILL NOT CALM DOWN) and was something I predicted (read: hoped/prayed for) when Kenny left NJPW. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

Rey Fenix is willing to die for all of our sins. 

I liked this show. I like AEW, so I usually do, but this one felt pretty well-paced besides the wedding, and even that wasn't bad as far as wrestling weddings go. I liked Miro destroying the box because he was sure OC was in there. 

Tag team battle royal was good, and Thunder Rosa might be the performer who's improved her profile the most over the past 12 months, regardless of gender or promotion. She has been a godsend for that women's division. When Statlander gets back, they'll have the makings of a solid division. Maybe go get Taya, too. The one they don't have.

That main event was straight fire, even though the Good Brothers and Kenneth are usually "channel changers" for me. PAC, Fenix, and Mox are three of the premiere in-ring guys in the world right now, and I even found Kenneth less pretentious than normal. If the NJPW collab is a go, there's a million dream matches I'd like to see; Switchblade vs. Mox, KENTA vs. Ricky Starks, Juice Robinson vs. Orange Cassidy...

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I feel like Mei and Saki (I know she's not in the bracket) doing the Mei Saint-Michelle and Sakisama routine in America would get pretty over, especially Mei's tray spot and her reaction to it. They better show the Japanese side of the bracket bare minimum on Dark. My guess is a highlight package on Dynamite after airing the whole matches on Dark. But then that would mean Luther wouldn't get a squash or Dark would be 3 hours. So, Dark is going to be 3 hours. Anyway, good problem to have! Predictions for the Japan side? I hope it's Veny tbh. She's probably the best of the bunch but Itoh and Mei rule too so whatever (while Ito's improving in the ring she's still better as a character than a complete package wrestler and Mei has both character work and wrestling down already). I think I'm more excited about those three than I am 2021 Kenta lol. Of course, the implication of Kenny vs. Ibushi as champion vs. champion makes my pants tighten (I WILL NOT CALM DOWN) and was something I predicted (read: hoped/prayed for) when Kenny left NJPW. 

Due to quarantine rules I think whoever wins is going to be someone who will be in America for a while and not just for a one-off.   VENY I think is most likely to win, followed by Maki.   Maki could go to America for a few months and not lose any momentum in Japan, and Maki could do stuff in America.  The funniest idea I read so far was conscripting Chaos Project into her respect army.  I'd rather see Lance Archer just dump Jake for Maki though, Lance carrying Maki on his shoulders would be one hell of a visual!

VENY it could be like an excursion for her.

• Like 2