DVDVR Message Board

A Priest, A Bunny, and A Fiend Walk Into A Bar - Raw - 2/1/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

So Edge cut a total heel promo on Drew at the beginning of the show, only to go back to being a face against Orton later in the night? And he's simultaneously gearing up for a title match against Drew at Mania and getting further involved in a three way program with Orton and The Fiend, plus the likelyhood of more E&C stuff? I mean I don't want to see any of these, but at least pick one thing to commit to. I guess Sheamus/Drew is featured at EC and/or Fastlane but is Edge/Fiend/Orton going to wrap up in that timeframe as well?

It's going to be Edge vs Reigns.

I will mention it here

Per PWI and Meltzer - Bad Bunny apparently will be making more appearances for the WWE.

They also have apparently also pitched the idea to him of wrestling at Mania

Skipping around Raw before booting up the Men's and Women's Rumbles

And hot dog! Alexa busting out that hop scotch spot before kicking Nikki in the tummy had me laugh so hard I almost blacked out. Like, I didn't even see it coming and I was laughing during an earlier recap in the show with Alexa switching characters mid-match vs Asuka before eating an RKO and so I was ready for zany shit but HOP SCOTCH?!? ? 

Hot damn I've missed so much of this angle but if she's adding tiny character bits like that to her work im all in hahahaha. (Correct me if I'm wrong please, didn't this Fiend/Bliss arc start over on Smackdown first, pre-draft?) I have to go back and see it from the start I think, I'll know for sure after watching the Women's Rumble 

FWIW I think Alexa is putting in a ton of effort to try and get this thing to work. She's adding in a bunch of little mannerisms to differentiate the various... I guess personas she has to juggle at the moment (leans on the under chin hand wave a bit much) to the degree that I don't think you could really ask much more from her. I don't know that it'll be enough to save it but I'm all for those who when given an odd hand just go all in on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, username said:

FWIW I think Alexa is putting in a ton of effort to try and get this thing to work. She's adding in a bunch of little mannerisms to differentiate the various... I guess personas she has to juggle at the moment (leans on the under chin hand wave a bit much) to the degree that I don't think you could really ask much more from her. I don't know that it'll be enough to save it but I'm all for those who when given an odd hand just go all in on it.

as I said at the start (when she was still in the trance/sleeper agent phase of the gimmick) she's one of the few people they've got with the physical acting chops to actually pull this off.  And there was that great bit months back, at the start of Reigns' Head of the Table bit, where he and Heyman are coming down the ramp as Bliss is making her way back up it off to the side, but as soon as Reigns holds the [men's] Championship Belt aloft she snapped her head around and just stared at the belt.  Normally subtlety is whatever the opposite of a strong suit is for the WWE, but that was a fantastic way of keeping The Fiend's menace in mind yet unstated. 

ah, here it is, finally found the picture, knew someone here had posted it: from smackdown, 9/25/20

Fun little details and bonuses like that they probably can only get with Bliss' ability to portray "vessel".

Ah well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, that what makes the dumbass parts of this angle so annoying. Alexa is actually doing good work. The booking just takes it too far which has kind of been the issue with the Fiend in general.

I think we cannot understate how much having no audience is affecting booking.  We're seeing pure uncut Vince right now.  With no crowd reactions to the characters, Vince gets no real time reaction to what he's putting out there, and thus can not course correct.

Frankly, in front of the wrong crowd, this Alexa/Fiend "face" turn would have been soundly rejected and Orton would have been the one turned.  Meanwhile, we have a pure heel (Orton) feuding with a female heel (Alexa) and her tweener-face(?) boyfriend (Wyatt) and it's just all over the place and odd to watch.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, that what makes the dumbass parts of this angle so annoying. Alexa is actually doing good work. The booking just takes it too far which has kind of been the issue with the Fiend in general.

You could say this about most of Bray's work. Ever since the Wyatt Family dissolved most of his storylines have been hot garbage, but he's done his absolute best with the material. Of all the people in WWE currently I think he'd have the best shot at crossing over to an acting career.

I saw what Alexa is doing now for the first time at the Rumble, it was a lot to take in. I appreciate the effort, she's definitely giving it her all, it's just so awful to me. I enjoyed the Fiend when he was just an entrance, everything after that has been pretty bad. I'd count the Hell in a Cell with Rollins as a turning point in my WWE viewing, it was the first time since I was a teenager I was embarrassed to be watching wrestling. I really enjoyed the Funhouse match with Cena but it was a one time deal and I don't think it will ever be recreated. It's not that it's supernatural either, I was into Lucha Underground and the Undertaker and the movie Underworld, this is on another level entirely. Glad it works for other people though.

This is going to be another absurd hot take most rational people will disagree with, but I think I'd respect Bliss more if she didn't try as hard with this material and just phoned it in. WWE has too many good little soldiers willing to go along with whatever nonsense they give them. Let's see some more push-back on this garbage.

Completely random note but I think Morrison gave a shoutout to Dr. Wagner, Jr. by saying "Bien, bien, bien!"  So that was a nice surprise.

EDIT:  After thinking about it it's possible Morrison just said it to say it.  But considering he was in LU when Wagner was there I would like to think that's what he was doing.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I watched the Edge-Orton match last night because I've been trying to keep up with Edge's return. Yikes. That finish was abysmal. Randy starts mugging like he's going to hit the RKO. Camera's in close on him. Then Alexa's music hits and the camera pans to show Alexa sitting on the turnbuckle behind him. Once she's visible to the TV viewer, they hit the crowd reaction sound cue. As if there wouldn't have already been a reaction in the building while the people watched Alexa run in and climb the ropes!

Someone needs to get that soundboard away from Vince and his minions ASAP.