DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Keep in mind TJPW is owned by CyberAgent. Their deals are probably about as ironclad though I think I get what you are saying here.

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am confused as to what D.Z. was talking about.

The way you worded things in that post made it sound like Stardom's talent were not contracted. That is why he said they are. The isolation mode comment is more a reference to how often they work with others outside the promotion.

1 minute ago, killsteve said:

As someone who hasn't watched joshi in a very long time, who is Maki Itoh and why is there so much hype around her in particular?

Failed idol who has been trying to find success in pro wrestling via TJPW. She is decently charismatic and has a ton of personality while being serviceable in the ring. She is also a bit of a shit poster on twitter, messing around often because she is well aware of her Western fanbase.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The way you worded things in that post made it sound like Stardom's talent were not contracted. 

That's why you got to read the entire post for context and not just part of a sentence. I'm saying if they had a deal with just Stardom, it would be easier as all the women are under the same umbrella and under the same parent company as opposed one girl from here, one girl from there, and few from this other place over there. Although, the latter itself is cool as long as you can make it work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I figured it out eventually. That said, its clear AEW doesn't just want to work with one promotion. They could have easily stuck with TJPW, but chose a bunch of names from around the scene. 

1. I wonder if NJPW/Bushiroad would force that issue. I know Stardom is doing something with a couple other promotions right now, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they would want their women pushed ahead of others just on idea they're the top promotion. I always expect politics to come into play. It never fails.

2. I also wonder if Aja would work with AEW if they're working with the same promotion being ran by Rossy Ogawa. I am assuming if they're still not on good terms with what happened with Arsion way back when, AEW would best to make sure she isn't working with anyone from Stardom. That or have an intermediary who isn't Rossy.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

1. I wonder if NJPW/Bushiroad would force that issue. I know Stardom is doing something with a couple other promotions right now, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility they would want their women pushed ahead of others just on idea they're the top promotion. I always expect politics to come into play. It never fails.

Stardom didn't seem to care much about how Bea was booked, but who knows. Bea's situation was somewhat different since she had contracts with both. I think it would be more about AEW talent working in Stardom itself. They would probably want to make sure any working Stardom were only working Stardom during that period of time as far as Japanese promotions go.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Stardom didn't seem to care much about how Bea was booked, but who knows. Bea's situation was somewhat different since she had contracts with both. I think it would be more about AEW talent working in Stardom itself. They would probably want to make sure any working Stardom were only working Stardom during that period of time as far as Japanese promotions go.

I'd love to see AEW send some women either to TJPW or Stardom as an excursion for a year to improve their in-ring.  Not Anna or Tay because I think those two are too valuable to give up for a year, but send Swole over and see if they can make something out of her, or that large Alaskan woman who was impressive.

I'm kinda surprised Veny isn't getting more buzz.

Edited by alstein

11 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'd love to see AEW send some women either to TJPW or Stardom as an excursion for a year to improve their in-ring.  Not Anna or Tay because I think those two are too valuable to give up for a year, but send Swole over and see if they can make something out of her, or that large Alaskan woman who was impressive.

Not sure Stardom would take someone on just to help them improve. Tay actually does want to wrestle in Stardom at some point. 

13 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'm kinda surprised Veny isn't getting more buzz.

I'm not not. Itoh was always going to get the majority of buzz. I don't think people know enough about Veny, especially since she never got to work the US. 

Veny kind of seems like a Lita or a Charlotte, in that she's a great athlete who likes to fly around, but she's also physically larger than most of the other women. But nobody in that category has ever had a Mike Awesome type of push/gimmick, even though he's the most obvious prototype for a 'big flying big person'.

No need to talk about, John Silver is obviously the right choice.

Okay, if we wanna talk about it... Adam Page, Eddie Kingston, Miro and MJF would be my picks, maybe even Wardlow. Hangman could play into the whole Omega storyline and I just wanna see Hangman in some more high profile singles matches. Miro and Wardlow could bring the intensity although I'm not quite sure they would be up to the task - I'd be interested to see them, but I'm not sure I'd be the right call. Kingston and especially MJF would interest me primary for the character work. Kingston as the scrappy veteran who's clearly outmatched by these god-tier physiques in NJPW or MJF as the greatest douchebag in the world getting his ass beaten.

But John Silver could really be a lot of fun.

Silver vs Pac, that would be a good match. Two mini-hosses bouncing each other all over the place in a low centre of gravity fashion.

• Like 4

Again, this shit isn't happening this year with COVID still going on. If someone lives in FL, like KENTA does, or if someone happens to live in Japan, which I don't think any of the AEW folks do, then you'll get more of that crossover. 

If you want to talk about the G1, talk about who might represent AEW next year.

Long term though, I would love it if AEW became a destination for excursion. Hell, make that work both ways. See if some folks from AEW want to go to NJPW for excursion too. Will Hobbs strikes me as someone who could gain a ton from working matches against or with Ishii, Shingo, Cobb, Goto, etc.

• Like 2

Hangman's run in the 2018 G1 cemented me on his bandwagon (though the Jay White match that March was also awesome, even with no real face/heel dynamic), so I'd love to see him come back to the G1 (though I'd probably get mad when he would have a similar run as Moxley in 2019, getting off to a huge start but fading late since he'd never be booked to win or get to the Finals).