DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

32 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here it is:

“He wrote, “I was told it will be something announced in the next few days which is a good thing (NWA). Would not have to do with AEW.”

Please move my post in regards to NWA on to another thread.

Vageloco is extremely sensitive this evening so I must not upset him. 

Remember around this time last year when they were building to the Exalted One reveal. When they still had crowds there was a shot of the Dark Order recruiter in the crowd and Raven was sat in the background, which wasn’t mentioned at all.

It was a great little touch, but it seems strange in hindsight that he was apparently brought in just for that. Has it ever been mentioned in podcasts of whatever? Was there maybe plans to bring him in backstage or something else? Was he just local and went along and ended up doing it as a favour?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Remember around this time last year when they were building to the Exalted One reveal. When they still had crowds there was a shot of the Dark Order recruiter in the crowd and Raven was sat in the background, which wasn’t mentioned at all.

It was a great little touch, but it seems strange in hindsight that he was apparently brought in just for that. Has it ever been mentioned in podcasts of whatever? Was there maybe plans to bring him in backstage or something else? Was he just local and went along and ended up doing it as a favour?

"Who the fuck hired Raven?"

Joke aside, I don't know.

It's also really weird spelling Raven like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kev said:

Pure speculation here. But they are pretty open about wanting to be different than WWE. WWE only uses current people under contract or a pool of certain legends under legend's contracts. I'm thinking, before the rona, they were purposely trying to set themselves apart by allowing weird random cameos you wouldn't expect. But it did tie into the story. And they did mention him on commentary in passing. He did lead a cult faction in WCW. It fit in as a red herring.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
typos

This week on AEW Dark ... Aaron Solow has a shot at getting in the winner's circle against Peaks and Valle, a genuine women's tag toss-up, plus an Abadon sighting.

* VSK vs. Chuck Taylor

* Steve Stetson vs. Orange Cassidy with Chuck Taylor

* SCU vs. Matt and Mike Sydal

* M’Badu and Baron Black vs. Bear Country

* Daniel Joseph vs. 10 with Dark Order’s -1

Lee Johnson and Aaron Solow with Arn Anderson vs. Louie Valle and Chris Peaks

* Ivelisse/Diamante vs. Red Velvet/KiLynn King

* Feugo Del Sol and Jon Cruz vs. Top Flight

* JD Drake vs. Stu Grayson with Dark Order’s -1

* Shawn Dean and Carlie Bravo vs. TH2

* Max Caster with Anthony Bowens vs. JJ Garrett

* Gunn Clubb vs. Tony Vega, Aaron Frye, and Angel Fashion

* Evil Uno, 5, and Colt Cabana with Dark Order’s -1 vs. Levy Shapiro, John Skyler, and Ryzin

* Abadon vs. Renee Michelle

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Pure speculation here. But they are pretty open about wanting to be different than WWE. WWE only uses current people under contract or a pool of certain legends under legend's contracts. I'm thinking, before the rona, they were purposely trying to set themselves apart by allowing weird random cameos you wouldn't expect. But it did tie into the story. And they did mention him on commentary in passing. He did lead a cult faction in WCW. It fit in as a red herring.

Yeah, it definitely made sense as a red herring. Maybe I’m misremembering with the commentary, but that was part of why I liked it and it stuck with me as it was a genuinely subtle tease.

On the legends point, something I was thinking on the back of the Big Show signing. Warning that I’m not sure this even makes sense as I haven’t fully thought it through. It does feel like there’s a real respect for and acknowledgement of wrestling history from AEW, but because WWE ‘owns’ so much wrestling history it maybe limits what they can outright reference. Bringing the likes of Show and Sting into the AEW world links AEW to that history and I do feel adds some legitimacy in a weird way.

Maybe someone can make a more coherent point out of that than I’ve managed.

• Like 2

100% agree with that theory. History is written by the victors. WWE has reshaped the narrative of wrestling history and there hasn't been anyone able to stand up and say wait a minute your cooperate approved re-imagining of history isn't quite accurate. There's a whole generation of fans that have grown up with WWE being wrestling. WWE is the NFL or NBA to anyone born after 2000.

To that end, I think a lot of wrestlers from previous generations aren't too thrilled with that. Sting specifically strikes me as someone that held out because he didn't enjoy WWE the machine. And I think his perspective after finally giving in and having such a nothing run there has only galvanized. Big Show strikes me as that sort of wrestler too. No one can tell me in the back of his head it doesn't annoy him that the cooperate approved re-imagining of his career is that he came over from WCW and was green as goose shit and got fat and lazy and had to do a year in OVW because he was such a bust.

Joining AEW gives guys like that, that had a history previous to WWE, the chance to take control of their own narrative again. And at the very least try and help bring back professional wrestling as it existed before the Thanos snap (WWE buying WCW & ECW). And by that I mean things like in WWE you are not allowed to talk directly into the camera. Think Harlem Heat in WCW. They talked trash straight into the camera during their entrance. That shit was awesome. But that's become an official banned action. There's tons of shit that were a part of the fabric of pro wrestling like that, that was lost to time because that's not what WWE wants.

I feel like that ended up much less coherent than your point but I took a swing at it lol.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I feel like that ended up much less coherent than your point but I took a swing at it lol.

Nah, that makes complete sense to me. Talking in slightly grandiose terms now, but there’s an element of reclaiming history to it. AEW has its own identity, but its also kind of positioned itself as a descendent to WCW, and that feels like a good thing. It feels like they’re doing what nobody has been able to in 20 years and providing a big-time alternative to the overly corporate WWE version of wrestling, and providing a home for those that don’t quite fit into that version of wrestling history.

When I think of what I like about AEW, it’s often more about a slightly indefinable ‘feel’ and this is part of that. To use the obvious comparison, if you look at TNA, despite having lots of legends on board and the legit NWA ties early on, they felt like a 2nd rate Indy knock-off/vanity project and I don’t think they ever quite shook that vibe and I think that’s part of why they never felt like a real big-time alternative. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

100% agree with that theory. History is written by the victors. WWE has reshaped the narrative of wrestling history and there hasn't been anyone able to stand up and say wait a minute your cooperate approved re-imagining of history isn't quite accurate. There's a whole generation of fans that have grown up with WWE being wrestling. WWE is the NFL or NBA to anyone born after 2000.

To that end, I think a lot of wrestlers from previous generations aren't too thrilled with that. Sting specifically strikes me as someone that held out because he didn't enjoy WWE the machine. And I think his perspective after finally giving in and having such a nothing run there has only galvanized. Big Show strikes me as that sort of wrestler too. No one can tell me in the back of his head it doesn't annoy him that the cooperate approved re-imagining of his career is that he came over from WCW and was green as goose shit and got fat and lazy and had to do a year in OVW because he was such a bust.

Joining AEW gives guys like that, that had a history previous to WWE, the chance to take control of their own narrative again. And at the very least try and help bring back professional wrestling as it existed before the Thanos snap (WWE buying WCW & ECW). And by that I mean things like in WWE you are not allowed to talk directly into the camera. Think Harlem Heat in WCW. They talked trash straight into the camera during their entrance. That shit was awesome. But that's become an official banned action. There's tons of shit that were a part of the fabric of pro wrestling like that, that was lost to time because that's not what WWE wants.

I thought that was THE. SHIT. when I was a kid. "It's on like neckbone, Sucka!" 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, just drew said:

I thought that was THE. SHIT. when I was a kid. "It's on like neckbone, Sucka!" 

Yeah, Harlem Heat were the undisputed kings of this. But it’s just such a cool touch anyway, always had a realness to it that standard promos didn’t. Doesn’t Rey start a little victory speech after the Havoc match only for Eddie to jump him pretty much sending him into the camera. Isn’t that how Goldberg started the You’re Next thing as well. From a production standpoint it seems like a no brainer as well as it let’s guys show personality/advance stories/get catchphrases over without really taking up any time.

Archer seems to be the main one to take advantage of it in AEW but he’s kind of a big goof, need someone to really take up the shit-talking mantle.

I can hear audio but i'm getting a "sorry we're having trouble playing..." message on video. I'd very much like to see this six woman tag. Anybody else experiencing this?

edit: NM, I'm just gonna stream it from my PC. 

I'm interested to see if Veny and Suruga are as nervous tonight as they said they were during their tournament matches.

Edited by Jiji

Wow, I did not see that coming. Good story!

edit: Tony burying employees and business partners on Twitter is so different from 99% of corporate America. While I get why he was pissed at the social media manager for hyping up surprises that would never deliver, chastising them in front of the world isn't cool and was done to deflect heat from himself. I do find the above about BR funny. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I finally found the show on YouTube up here in my home world of Canada.  I downloaded the BR app in my failed attempt to find this most elusive of animals.  Around 7:20 or so I see a post by Brandi telling us where to watch the show....but that led to a dead end.  Finally, frustrated I fired up the YouTube machine only to see a link to the show countdown around 7:30.  Did they mislead us and it was always airing on the ‘tube?

They must do something about Taz’s singing.  Oddly he manages to make my ears bleed almost every week on Dark.  The poor lil guy can’t get anything right about his chosen song.  He can’t imitate the melody or stay In rhythm or whatever the heck he appears to be doing during Jungle Boy and now Maki Itoh entrances.  It really doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the show but I find myself wishing to be hearing impaired instead of visually.  Taz really has to have no shame...and he really should.  Shakira, anyone?

Ooh, it’s Yuka~!  I should pay attention to this one.

Good matches with a little bit of awkwardness in the tag and finishing stretch in the Riho/Rosa match aside. Looked like Riho dragon suplexed Rosa right on top of her own face and took some time to gather her wits. Still, a very good match that was only harmed by a few moments like that and Austin Gunn/no real crowd. Mizunami/Yuka was probably MOTN as it didn't really have many hiccups and was well built despite the leg selling going nowhere. They can bring Yuka in anytime. Ryo coming over to AEW after saying she was about to retire before her first appearance for the company is too good of a story to pass up on, but you know they really need to tell everybody about that during the final on Wednesday. The opener gave everybody some nice shine but the drama was gone when it was Veny and Shida in at the end. Understandable and classic Japanese booking but... it's also predictable. Thankfully it wasn't a cold tag or anything like that. 

Is tomorrow's show only the one match? That's kind of strange, but Rosa vs. Rose! War of the Roses should rule.