DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Absolutely not shitting on anyone who doesn't like it, but it should not need to be explained what Show brings to the table for AEW. Networks and merch licensees love familiar faces, and they dont get much more familiar than a literal actual giant who has been on TV since most of us were in grade school. Good signing.

• Like 6

That is absolutely true.   But it slaps in the face of what people and more specifically their fans said the company was about.   Be honest, if you told an AEW fan 8 months ago if they should sign the Big Show they would laugh you out of the building

Maybe they have given up on that farce

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

That is absolutely true.   But it slaps in the face of what people and more specifically their fans said the company was about.   Be honest, if you told an AEW fan 8 months ago if they should sign the Big Show they would laugh you out of the building

Maybe they have given up on that farce

My God. It's not like they're thrusting him right into the AEW World Title scene. Also, if you told an AEW fan 8 months ago that they should sign Big Show, then I doubt they'd care that much.

Honestly, who gives a shit. He sounds like he's being brought in for commentary, his wrestling business knowledge, and to be an ambassador more than a wrestler.

• Like 2

The way I see it, Wight is in the Jerry Lawler role. Commentates most of the time and wrestles a match here and there. That's...I don't know. It's a signing I don't care about and it's more about the business than anything else. If it turns in to him being a constant fixture at the top of the card then I'll start caring.

• Like 1

I'm more curious about the motivation from Wight's side than from AEW's.

The timing makes me wonder if he wanted to keep working after his TV show ended and the WWE didn't have anything to offer him while AEW did.

• Like 2

I've always thought WWE kind of mismanaged Paul, so I'm curious to see what kind of legend treatment he gets outside of that environment. And whether it's short comedy matches or Kenny seeing what he can get out of the big old lug, I'm excited to see him wrestling here. All in.

And count me among those who had him pegged as a WWE lifer. I'm keen to hear more about what's behind this move. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I've always thought WWE kind of mismanaged Paul, so I'm curious to see what kind of legend treatment he gets outside of that environment. And whether it's short comedy matches or Kenny seeing what he can get out of the big old lug, I'm excited to see him wrestling here. All in.

And count me among those who had him pegged as a WWE lifer. I'm keen to here more about what's behind this move. 

The fact he wasn't under contract (especially with a competing promotion around) probably proved (1) he wasn't a lifer and (2) that's probably the reason he made the move. There doesn't really have to be anything else other than that. 

• Like 1

In one of those tiny butterfly effect things - he ain't signing with AEW if The Big Show Show had gotten renewed for a second season at Netflix

(Side note to that - I am amused that someone already edited the The Big Show Show wiki to say "AEW wrestler"

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In one of those tiny butterfly effect things - he ain't signing with AEW if The Big Show Show had gotten renewed for a second season at Netflix

(Side note to that - I am amused that someone already edited the The Big Show Show wiki to say "AEW wrestler"

I would compare this to Hogan doing Thunder in Paradise right when WCW started doing those Orlando tapings. Ric Flair makes the play for him to come in and thanks Hogan's film and TV career floundering, he decides he wants to go to WCW. 

The Big Show Show probably had much as chance to be picked up for a 2nd season as Thunder in Paradise.

I think Wight would be a pretty solid commentator. He's got a great personality, easygoing.. humorous. When The Rock had his 1st SNL gig way back in the day, I remember Wight surprising everyone with how natural he was on the comedic side of things.

• Like 4

I demand Paul Wight hurls Marko Stunt into the fifteenth row of Daily's Place.

Seriously, they're going to have to be careful about how much they showcase him next to the other talent I think. Archer, Luchasaurus, and... umm, can't think of anyone else who approaches his height. Am I forgetting anyone? If he isn't working then make sure he doesn't dwarf people in other roles.

Overall though, super happy about this! Show's always had natural charisma and leaving a stiflingly scripted promotion for another that pretty much just says "fuck it, do what you want" is very interesting.

• Like 1