DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

Dark was a mile a minute this week where suddenly there were a lot less competitive squashes and a whole lot more big old PLATES O' SQUASH. Wrapped up that show in a hour with about the same number of matches they would have in one of their 2.5 hour shows. 

So much to most people's delight, I wasn't happy with all of the choices they made which I know shocks the world.

If anyone should blow the doors out of a enhancement guy, it's Moxley who should be good and pissed about his current run of luck on Dynamite where he gets laid out most shows. Instead he was giving Cruz a lot and I think that was the wrong play. I also wouldn't have thrown in yet another choke finisher rather than just letting him hit the Paradigm Shift and moving on.

Bear Country was a nice surprise going over on Chaos Project. Bronson did a fairly good job selling the leg for the heat segment. I endorse this booking decision.

Nick C looks way more confident as a single than he did in the 6 man tags where he was a bit more hesitant doing the hot tag run through. He's an odd case where I think he really stepped it up on the big stage against Moxley and has looked more nervous since. But this was a good return to form. I think he'd be better off working heel personally but not everyone can be a heel.

Team Taz don't work by the hour. I'm not always a fan of one move squashes because the idea is to showcase your spots so when you work someone on the big show, we know what to expect and the counters mean more. That being said Starks' spear and Hobbs' finish both look like lava hot death.

I have now decided Reynolds reminds me of early Christian which ain't a bad place to be.

Jurassic Express working pissed off because they have a reason to be pissed off is the sort of booking I enjoy. I think the passing powerbomb is their best finish. Marco Stunt kicking guys out of the ring after the match is over is the dirt worst.

Butcher and The Blade looked good. The powerslam toss into the knee thing was boss. I think Butch needs a hair cut as the skullet is running wild brother. I like this kind of mauling over one move and done squashes.

Kingston didn't look as sharp as I've seen him previously. Aaron is one of the guys on the slow burn but I think Eddie still gave him a bit too much. It would have benefitted from more of a simple structure than going back and forth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

Wait, the Japanese end of the Women's Tournament had American commentary? The video I watched on Youtube was in Japanese.

Not complaining, though.

Yeah, they do a brutal job of naming their youtube videos and getting hashtags out there. They've got how many AEW official twitter accounts?

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I only checked out a couple things but the Japanese commentary is worth checking out.  And in particular I got a big kick out of them reacting to the start of Maki's match.

I loved this version as my wife had never heard Japanese wrestling commentary (and announcing for that matter) and was confused and amused, it led to a lot of great information being passed onto her.

• Like 1

Absolutely loved the Japanese half of the bracket. Yuka/Suruga was my favorite match of the night. First time seeing much of Suruga but thought she shined a lot while it was great to see the Magical Girl again. Very pleasantly surprised to see Emi Sakura pick up the win. Figured she was just going to be there to put someone over but she ended up looking excellent and I loved that she got the win. Her match with Riho way back at the first Full Gear was one of my top favorites so I'm thrilled to see her back in the mix in any way. Maki's entrance was the absolute best thing. Was a bit surprised/disappointed that Maki went out in the first but the match was fun and she definitely left her mark. Poor Rin had no chance drawing Aja, but I thought she looked real good still. Guessing an Aja/Yuka semi which should be good stuff.  I wish the availability worked out better for one of these talents to have more of a chance to win but I definitely hope they all do more in AEW.

• Like 1

If people don't know, I believe I read in the Observer (?) that Ryan Nemeth being on TV as of late is because of his connection to Brodie Lee's family. Apparently he used to babysit Brodie Jr back in the day, and was there for the memorial show and it has just snowballed from there.

Also, a week before Revolution, this Women's title eliminator match will be on Bleacher Report's website (not BR Live). Or maybe I'm reading it wrong and it's on the free version of BR Live. Incoming Dynamite spoilers from two days ago if you haven't seen it. Either way...

Spoiler

Thunder Rosa vs Riho

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Having never heard of JJ Garrett I had a quick google search to read up on him.  My initial thought was that he has the most NASCAR sounding name ever.

However his Twitter handle is Thot Steiner and he previously used the name Buff Swagwell. 

I’d like to introduce you to Cole Radrick. Who even wears a NASCAR-style ring jacket.

• Like 1

Not only that, his full ring name is "Wildheart" Cole Radrick.

See how almost everyone who was on NWA Powerrr is now either a free agent, or signed elsewhere already? Was Thunder Rosa the only wrestler (except Nick Aldis) who Corgan wanted a long-term deal for?