DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

I never watched WCW much during the Monday Night Wars but I can say that I appreciate this modern AEW equivalent. As someone noted, it's annoying in WWE (and part of why it feels like a slog so much) that if you're feuding with someone you HAVE to be welded to them in angles and matches every week. The AEW version is more authentic, like a sports league trying to promote their favorites in a "they have a match this week, and here's who they happen to be wrestling" way. I won't pretend to know anyone who gets called up to do those jobs usually but they always do really well.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 3

I have too much time on my hands.  

Without much effort it looks like this company has around 32 regular tag teams and easily 16 trios conglomerates.  Any fan can look at the AEW roster page and watching their two shows the pairings and trios just fit together seamlessly if not logically.

Hopefully they won’t pit their shows against each other.  It works for WWE but their execution is so half-assed.  They could make a “sky weight” or  repurposing the name “flyweight” for an undercard singles title not named “ junior” or “cruiser”. They can keep a jr or x division idea but remove the concept of weight classes.  Maybe keep a ten minute time limit like someone has suggested already.

Mexico obviously makes trips matches the rule.  Some of the most exciting or action packed matches from Japan have also been under trios style.  Places like Michinoku Pro or Toryumon/Dragon Gate have built a rep over the years.   They aren’t those methodical NJPW throwaway multi-man matches.  The concept allows for ample storytelling between the bells. 

I really enjoy those eight man tags that AEW was doing fairly regularly on TV or online.  Take two teams of two teams each, maybe add a stipulation and AEW has their first unique match concept.  Fortunately, I won’t endorse the creation of a championship title  to the equation.  They are maybe the AEW equivalent of the Lucha gimmick of parejas increibles.  Their concept usually mixes heels and faces or pairs up feuding parties together.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

NWA has removed all their videos from YouTube. Either NWA was bought out and/or are moving their content into a streaming service along with AEW/Impact and possibly NJPW. 

Something is happening with NWA as this very moment. 

And this is in the AEW thread because?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because The Shadow Knows obv. 

If they do trios titles, I hope they do lucha rules with a captain. It's as close as I'll get to some of those amazing captain falls tags from Noah's halcyon days. While it was easier for Noah's clearly hierarchical roster to pick captains, it may help AEW to have a bit of structure like that, something I've been arguing since probably the start of dynamite to avoid guys like Omega going 50/50 with Janela. 

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sandman, Dieno and Dutch Mantell? (I'd like to pick somebody who was actually known for drinking rum, which would probably be a Caribbean wrestler, but I don't know of any of them who were known drunks)

S.D. Jones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Serena Deeb does hold their Women's Title. 

If he was talking about her, that would be fine. However, doesn't NWA (whatever iteration that is left) have it's own thread?

And oh, I feel like NWA has went out of business like AT LEAST three times since last March. We'll like a full year of them going out of business.

A little behind on the monthly threads and whatnot but man, did AEW ever clean up in the Observer  awards for whatever little that means. I really have enjoyed AEW so much week to week since I gave it a chance, honestly the only wrestling I am even following week-to-week. Hopefully many years of continued success yet to come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And this is in the AEW thread because?

Because it could be about Khan creating a streaming service for AEW with other organizations helping to provide enough content to make it valuable. This has been rumored....do not know if it’s true. I didn’t think I needed to spell it out in such detail in why I put it in an AEW thread but I guess you needed the help.

If you got a problem with me you make sure you let me know hot shot.