DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, Valcourt said:

Interesting signing... What does Wight bring to AEW though? They have a bunch of legends...

Not at all interested in him in the ring.

Credibility. To the common non-DVDVR type fan this is gonna be a big deal and will make AEW look like serious competition. 

I eagerly await Vince throwing tons of money at every single star he's had in the past 15 years trying to keep them from leaving him too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Is there any precedent for having a commentator who is sizeably more imposing than the rest of the entire roster? Not sure that’s a good idea at all.

The closest I can think of is Gorilla, but then WWF quickly became the land of the giants so he didn't seem that big.

Although Show did seem notably shorter last year when he did the Drew match. He wasn't towering over McIntyre, and Drew's "only" about 6'5".

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am not sure why you would sign Paul Wight for commentating?  Especially when you have 4 or 5 already.   As far as wrestling,  it is going to look like a massive mismatch against the vast majority of talent and unfortunately might expose Wardlow & Luchasaurus as being not as tall as you think

I don't know about that. Did Andre expose John Studd? Paul Wight is a damn giant; he's supposed to tower over even the big guys,

• Like 1

While this came out of left field, I'm not shocked at all. I totally get it. I'm actually a bit surprised to see the mixed reaction to this move.

Like he's 49 with a lot of wear and tear, they absolutely are not going to make him go out there and work 15min competitive matches every single week with Omega & Fenix. Yall know that right lol. The roadmap for how to use him is early 80s WWE face Andre. He gets a promo every few weeks. Maybe a quarterly squash match. He gets into a big issue or two a year that doesn't have to be featured every single episode and gets the big PPV blow off. You treat him like the legit special attraction he would be in AEW. And you let him grow weekly as a commentator and personality on the down low.

Dude is legitimately one of the most recognizable stars of the monday night way era left actively working. He still has tons of value, even if that value isn't super spotty work rate matches. But don't sleep on him either tho. I know his last few years in WWE have been yuck. But he still had a few hidden gems in there against Sheamus & Braun & Mark Henry. Without the apathy that comes with WWE over production comes a breath of fresh air and new passion. He's still capable of good shit and people should at least see how he's presented by AEW before they decide if they like it or not.

• Like 6

Paul Wight as the new leader of a babyface Dark Order would work.  He can be threatening and funny.  The Order guys like Angels, Silver and Grayson can ask “Are you our new dad?” He might be too big for BTE though. 

Wight is 49 at this point.  Andre was only freakin’ 40 years old when he had the Mania III match with Hogan.  They could totally do the 80s Andre Method mentioned a few posts ago.  Wight was getting pretty good during those peak Daniel Bryan pushes.  That was a long long time ago in giant years.

Which song can Tony K purchase that will make us forget Big Show’s WWE HOF-worthy theme song.  Coach Tony has some huge shoes to fill in replacing what is seriously probably TOP 5 entrance themes of all time.  if Vince is half the greedy capitalist he plays on TV he should offer to sell the song to AEW...for a ridiculous sum of money.  It would be win/win for both sides.  Then again...if they can buy the right song it could makes us forget about Michael Hayes’ booming voice and succinct lyrical structure.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wight actually hinted at this signing last week!  He said "get ready for something,  You'll never know.  You won't see it coming, but I promise you'll know."

Tony himself said he had "Big News" yesterday on FFWonline

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wight actually hinted at this signing last week!  He said "get ready for something,  You'll never know.  You won't see it coming, but I promise you'll know."

I thought he meant another turn.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

On a more forward-thinking note, I'd also have to imagine Show is going to be an invaluable backstage resource for guys like Archer and Luchasaurus in terms of upping their game, and any other young big guys they sign in the future.

Archers only a few years younger than Wight

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In one of those tiny butterfly effect things - he ain't signing with AEW if The Big Show Show had gotten renewed for a second season at Netflix

(Side note to that - I am amused that someone already edited the The Big Show Show wiki to say "AEW wrestler"

Lol, I misread that as "tiny butterfly erect things" and was so, so confused.  By the way, don't get bored and google "Butterfly erect" at the office.  It's not a rabbit hole you want to go down at work.

I'd have to try to be less interested in Show's signing.  So many other guys they could fill roster and commentary spots with.  Now, if they're replacing JR......

But, regardless of how I personally feel, it's a great addition for them as long as they didn't overpay.  It'll generate a lot of publicity, and add at least a few viewers.  "Big Show" has name value most of the roster doesn't to casual and lapsed fans.  And, from a PR perspective, it makes AEW look like even more of a competitor.  If a competitor's hall of famer wants to sign a contract with you, you have to at least consider it.

I guess we know now why Braun Strowman jobbed cleanly to Lashley on Monday.  Going to be a rough couple months for anyone who looks even vaguely like Paul Wight.  Bobby Fish is probably in the bathroom as we speak shaving off his facial hair just to be safe.

Edited by Eoae

48 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Which song can Tony K purchase that will make us forget Big Show’s WWE HOF-worthy theme song. 

they should use Wight's WCW theme song......oh wait. he never had one. that still kinda freaks me out. he was there for multiple years, on TV damn near weekly, and never had his own theme song. 

kudos to whoever brought up the green name on screen tho, i forgot about that!

4 hours ago, A_K said:

Is there any precedent for having a commentator who is sizeably more imposing than the rest of the entire roster? Not sure that’s a good idea at all

Not in terms of size, but a lot of the ex-wrestler announcers (Ventura, Piper, Savage, Booker T, Wade Barrett to name a few) had enough size and/or presence that they wouldn't be pushed around by most of the active roster at their respective times. The most egregious example might be Coach, who played a dopey character, but was a legit big dude/athlete. He looked like an small dweeb next to Dwayne Johnson, but he towered over guys he feuded with like Lawler and Tajiri.

Whoever said Wight should be used like late-career Andre was dead on. It'd be a hilarious full-circle for his career too.

Also I hope we get at least one match with Wight and Taz on commentary together.