DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/20/2021 at 12:11 AM, Casey said:

If people don't know, I believe I read in the Observer (?) that Ryan Nemeth being on TV as of late is because of his connection to Brodie Lee's family. Apparently he used to babysit Brodie Jr back in the day, and was there for the memorial show and it has just snowballed from there.

Aw, man, now I kind of feel bad for talking shit about him.  If that's the case then that's great but I still wish he wasn't going all "Dolph lite" with practically everything he does.  I get the idea of the gimmick but I would hope there's ways to remove some Dolphisms to make it more palatable.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Aw, man, now I kind of feel bad for talking shit about him.  If that's the case then that's great but I still wish he wasn't going all "Dolph lite" with practically everything he does.  I get the idea of the gimmick but I would hope there's ways to remove some Dolphisms to make it less palatable.

I assume you mean 'more palatable'.

I'm personally fine with Ryan as an underneath arrogant heel who puts over more important guys like Pac and Page. He seems to do a relatively good job of playing a Johnny from Karate Kid type heel where he's clearly a heel just from how he carries himself. Is he similar to his brother? I wouldn't deny that he's similar to Dolph (much like Mike Sydal is similar to Matt) but he's not a complete Xerox copy.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

I assume you mean 'more palatable'.

I'm personally fine with Ryan as an underneath arrogant heel who puts over more important guys like Pac and Page. He seems to do a relatively good job of playing a Johnny from Karate Kid type heel where he's clearly a heel just from how he carries himself. Is he similar to his brother? I wouldn't deny that he's similar to Dolph (much like Mike Sydal is similar to Matt) but he's not a complete Xerox copy.

Ugh, I hate Mondays.  But yep, I meant more palatable.  Whoops.

I personally think there was a bit too much Dolph in his presentation but that could be a me problem more than anything else.  I don't think he needs to be generic heel number 2,052 but there are various things that he could make his own to complement the gimmick.  For all I know he'll likely be mostly on Dark and that's fine with me too.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

JFC, that fucking SUCKS for Anna Jay. She must have tore the shit out of her shoulder.

Man, 6 to 12 months...What a bummer. I guess here's hoping that when she returns she winds up being a way better wrestler than before she was injured like Britt.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

JFC, that fucking SUCKS for Anna Jay. She must have tore the shit out of her shoulder.

Man, 6 to 12 months...What a bummer. I guess here's hoping that when she returns she winds up being a way better wrestler than before she was injured like Britt.

Yeah, Anna's really done it bad and proper. feel bad for 99. Dislocation with a rotator cuff tear perhaps?

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I don’t know how to insert tweets

Missed your original post when I made mine with the tweet you tried embedding. To do so:

Click on the three ...

Embed Tweet.

On the "What would you like to embed?", you copy what's in the bar and that should do it.

• Like 1

That sure beats out Danny Limelight for Unluckiest Wrestler in February 2021.  I thought Limelight’s COVID quarantine in the midst of a bidding war over his rep in no less than three companies was unfortunate.

Anna Jay makes Limelight look lucky in contrast.  How are we ever going to find out where Anna and Tay Conti’s friendship is going?  Will Conti join the Dark Order or will her decision end their friendship?

Conti can take Anna’s spot in the Dark Order.  When Anna Jay is healed up they can team them and feud them in that order.  The two can even feud right away and then reunite as Besties (not Davey Vega and Matt Fritchett) and they can go after ladies’ tag BELTS.

I passed out due to no sleep during the show but wasn't overly impressed with what I saw this week. The finish to Mizunami/Kong ruled, but it's disappointing at the same time that barely mobile Aja has to take a countout L. That legdrop was so good though. Gonna rewatch that and Emi/Yuka because I was in and out on that one.

Bleacher Report on a Sunday? Why? Thunder Rosa vs. Riho not on TV because they need to put Brandon Cutler getting squashed on Dynamite instead... Hmmmmm. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I passed out due to no sleep during the show but wasn't overly impressed with what I saw this week. The finish to Mizunami/Kong ruled, but it's disappointing at the same time that barely mobile Aja has to take a countout L.

Eh.  Whatever gets the belt on Ryo Mizunami.  She carried frickin Aja Kong in 2021.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'll be giving this a listen to. Vickie Guerrero's always come across to me as a good person. I've always enjoyed her work. EXCUSE ME!!! I SAID EXCUSE ME!!!

As distasteful as I found the "ghost of Eddie Guerrero" stuff following his death and the WWE's use of here she has really grow into her role over the years 

Re: Ryan Nemeth interesting he's using his given name instead of the Hot Young Briley name he used on the indies

• Like 1

Also curious that of all the people in the division to replace against Britt Baker they chose Madi.   Doesn't make you think Anna Jay had much of a chance .  Even if they needed an easy win there are plenty Dark women like Leyla Hirsh or Dani Jordyn 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Yuka/Emi was a blast and Mizunami matches up greatly with Aja. Didn't love the finish but Ryo/Aja was my favorite match of the night, they were just smashing in to each other and it ruled. Figured when they went outside late that a countout was coming, but almost thought it'd be a double countout. Seeing there wasn't a lot of time left, I assumed Madi would get squashed but at least she got a little bit of offense in. Guessing Britt/Thunder rematch on the US Side.

Sunday show looks good. Really looking forward to Riho/Thunder, even morseo after how great Riho/Serena was. The six woman tag seemed like the teams were randomly mismatched but should be fun.

Full Dark lineup for tomorrow night -

- Varsity Blonds vs Shawn Dean and Carlie Bravo

— Aaron Solow vs Ryan Nemeth

— Ryzin and Baron Black vs Pretty Peter Avalon and Cezar Bononi

— Alex Reynolds and John Silver vs Louie Valle and Chris Peaks

— Kip Sabian with Penelope Ford vs Fuego Del Sol

— KiLynn King vs Tesha Price

— Lee Johnson with Arn Anderson vs Serpentico with Luther

— Jurassic Express vs Angel Fashion and VSK

— Ivelisse and Diamante vs Miranda Alize and Renee Michelle

— Leyla Hirsch vs Brooke Havok with Cody Rhodes

— JJ Garrett vs QT Marshall with Nick Comoroto

— Eddie Kingston vs JD Drake

— Max Caster with Anthony Bowens vs Marko Stunt

— Tony Vega and Steven Stetson vs Top Flight

— Brian Cage with Hook vs John Skyler

— Bear Country, Sonny Kiss, and Joey Janela vs M’Badu, Levy Shaprio, Daniel Joseph, and Aaron Frye

I get a kick how random the teams for the multiman matches always are. It reminds me of WCW Worldwide when you'd see two guys teaming up against a jobber team for no real reason, only never to team again. Eddy Guerrero being paired up with Cobra against High Voltage or somebody like that.

• Like 1