DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

42 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Why is Veny referred to as they? I’m sure Excalibur maybe explained and I was distracted. 

they're gender non-conforming.  Veny doesn't refer to themselves as any gender, same as I believe Sonny.

The losers tonight were a lot more interesting than the winners.

Edited by alstein

1 hour ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

She clapped and sang ‘We Will Rock You’ during the match

Yeah, but:

EIvD_6mXYAEEwXw.jpg:large

Seemingly not a thing anymore. Except for the mic stand but she didn't even use it in her match this time around IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was really looking forward to the show tonight.  I had a feeling  the presentation would be really bare bones or glass half full me might just call it “minimalist”. Excalibur is really good at announcing by himself so I wasn’t concerned about commentary at all.  

Any of the matches tonight could definitely  make up a sizeable chunk of the Unofficial and Unstated AEW Top Ten Matches in the women’s division. They might not dominate the top half of the list but those matches put a little more meat on the bone whenever one decided to recap the best matches of the division so far.  I’m saying that I am trying to be more subtle by also damning the division with faint praise.  

These pandemic mandated wrestling shows really remind me of the years this place wouldn’t blink an eye if the crowd was single digits and taking place in a tiny studio-sized environment.  Good or even great wrestling can surpass superfluous trappings that too often control too much of the pro wrestling 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:48 PM, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Top 5 so far of an early top ten of the year list.

1. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows vs Jon Moxley, PAC and Rey Fenix (Dynamite; Feb. 3rd)

2. Kenny Omega vs Rey Fenix (Dynamite; Jan. 6th)

3. Thunder Rosa vs Legit Layla Hirsh (Dynamite; Feb. 10th)

4. Jungle Boy vs Dax Harwood (Dynamite; Jan. 27th)

5. PAC vs Eddie Kingston (Dynamite; Jan.13th)

We're similar. We also do the date right way round in the UK ?

1. Kenny Omega vs. Ray Fenix. AEW Dynamite, 6th January.

2. Darby Allin vs. Brian Cade. AEW Dynamite, 13th January.

3. Jungle Boy vs. Dax Harwood. AEW Dynamite, 27th January.

4. Kenny Omega/Karl Anderson/Luke Gallows vs Jon Moxley/PAC/Rey Fenix. AEW Dynamite, 3rd February.

5. Kenny Omega/KENTA vs. Jon Moxley/Lance Archer. AEW Dynamite, 10th February.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiji said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yuka is almost 100% going over so she can lose to Britt in the finals and Britt wins the belt at the ppv. Yuka sticks around for a while after I imagine before hopefully splitting time between TJP and AEW post-pandemic.

• Like 3

Amused that Excalibur was very careful using the "them/they" pronouns with Veny but thought Tommy Ran was a guy.

Up to Aja/Kadakora and this has been a really fun show. Rei/Yuka was a little too cutesy-boo for my tastes but matches 2-3 really brought the goods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

In 2021 I am streaming Emi Sakura matches onto my phone. In 1998 I was waiting for those same VHS tapes from Dean and naming my dog for Emi Motokawa.

Seriously, has any Joshi wrestler aged more gracefully than Emi? Other than adding a few pounds in all the right places and toning down some of her shtick (which was what endeared her to me in the first place), she's basically unchanged and still a hell of a worker.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I own enough dusty IWA-MS tapes. The only thing that confuses me about no-crowd COVID shows is why the mat is so clean.

Oh boy that IWA:MS canvas was probably where Covid originated in the first place.  Never mind bats in Wuhan, it was mats in Charlestown, In.

Circle of life, empty arena wrestling caused empty arena wrestling.

• Like 2

Emi looked really good against Veny. I think the gear change was a lot more flattering for her and she seems better fit to be a bit more of a mauler than working comedy. That chop-lariat spot was super good. I think the strike exchange section was the weakest section of the match in terms of it being a bit of a narrative black hole. Veny’s strikes especially her kicks were pretty dynamic though. I also think the match went maybe a little long with too many false finishes. They could have cut back on the ramp up a tiny smidge so you didn’t get the sense that we were in the finishing stretch quite so long.  Emi’s corner cross splash was 200 mph and everything she did that wasn’t in that strike exchange looked good (her headbutt to the chest was probably the worst looking thing she did all match).

Did not expect Bear Country to beat Chaos Project. They must be signed by now, surely? And Butcher & Blade were saying they wanted Bears after their squash. 

• Like 2

In the interest of being balanced, I am going to try and pick one nit for every positive thing I have to say. Not sure how long I will try and stick with this gimmick.

I loved Fuego bumping around like a dollar store Kikuchi in the Dark main event.

I did not love Bunny's high-pitched cackling, and as much as I am among the high voters on Luther around here I have never liked his high-pitched screaming, either.

I enjoyed all the really fast squash matches as a nice change of pace, although I tend to prefer the longer squashes that we usually get on Dark.

I think Blade's new entrance gear looks sharp as hell, but I agree with (I believe it was) @Custos that Butcher's baggy knickerbockers aren't the most flattering look for him.

I didn't like Tazz saying "They are still in their ring gear" when B&B were still in their entrance gear. I did like Butcher taking his jacket off after the match. (And the commentary team got a few legit lols out of me this week)

I loved the more aggressive version of Jurassic Express!

Uh... I thought John Skyler's entrance jean vest looked pretty ratty.

I love Bear Country! A real team! Big hosses! I loved Chaos Project putting them over huge! (See above w/r/t Luther's screeching, though).

Loved Hungee flying around the ring. I hate how my autocorrect refuses to accept that "Hungee" is a word I use fairly often.

Hat tip to @AxB for pointing out B&B&B calling out BC and to @Peck for pointing out the Cruz/Serpentico thing. You guys earned your likes there!

Also: the first round Japanese ladies tournament matches were all pretty great (And Excalibur was great on commentary)... but I definitely agree that Mei Suruga looked a little green in there at times.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Wait, the Japanese end of the Women's Tournament had American commentary? The video I watched on Youtube was in Japanese.

Not complaining, though.

It's up on YouTube twice, once with Excalibur doing a great job with English commentary, and the one you watched which is titled something like "Watch it again, this time in Japanese." Which I might do if I can find the time.

• Like 1