DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEB 2021

Dolfan in NYC

I wish AEW had house shows right now* just so the Varsity Blondes could work five days a week with FTR for three months. They have so much potential and just desperately need ring time with solid workers.

*Obviously not really, given the pandemic

• Like 3

This week's AEW Dark lineup-

— Tay Conti with Anna Jay and Dark Order vs. Tesha Price

— Thunder Rosa vs. Dani Jordyn

— KC Navarro vs. Rey Fenix

— Ivelisse and Diamante vs. Vertvixen and Jazmin Allure

— Leyla Hirsch vs. Katalina Perez

— Gunn Club with Austin Gunn vs. John Skyler and Ray Jaz

— Alex Gracia vs. Red Velvet

— Fuego  Del Sol and Vary Morales vs. Santana and Ortiz

— Chaos Project vs. SCU

— The Acclaimed vs. Ryzin and Danny Limelight

— 10 with Dark Order vs. Jake St. Patrick

— Bear Country, Sonny Kiss, and Joey Janela vs. Shawn Dean, Baron Black, Aaron Solow, and Mike Verna

— M’Badu, Terrence and Terrell Hughes vs. Dustin Rhodes, QT Marshall, and Nick Comoroto

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

They could just have more women's content on Dark and trim the fat of having 62 squash matches a week. I like a good squash as much as the next man but a lot of Dark's run longer than really needed for me in the current format.

I mean, 6 out of 13 matches listed above are women's matches. That's a pretty solid percentage. Although if you want to cut the Gunn Club match to make it an even 50/50 you have my unequivocal support.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I mean, 6 out of 13 matches listed above are women's matches. That's a pretty solid percentage. Although if you want to cut the Gunn Club match to make it an even 50/50 you have my unequivocal support.

For the love of God, please cut the Gunn Club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

They could just have more women's content on Dark and trim the fat of having 62 squash matches a week. I like a good squash as much as the next man but a lot of Dark's run longer than really needed for me in the current format.

Khan mentioned making two shows out of Dark in some interview a month or so back.  Just split them into a Women's show and Dark.  Again, not sure I'd watch an all women's show anymore than I watch Dark (which is rare save for a match here and there), but I think it would really help shape this ailing division.  You'd have everybody working regularly and more importantly you wouldn't be juxtaposing the mostly green ladies with the shiny polished men.  Also, all these workers regulated to Dark really ought to be given some regular promo time on that show.  Or has this happened in recent weeks?  Give me inset promos on the way to the ring and post and pre match promos.  Lots and lots of promos.  

• Like 1

Breaking news:

Cool that those in power have taken FTR and Tully out for their actions last week and what they covet most. Not cool if it's coronavirus related, obviously. C'mon Silver and Reynolds!

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The squashes are to give ring reps, scout indie talent, and pad records.   They do have some real use - and they're easy wrestling viewing to watch.

I suspect COVID changed plans here, but I hope they keep the squashes- I just wish more wrestlers, esp the higher up ones , would win without finishers.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, alstein said:

The squashes are to give ring reps, scout indie talent, and pad records.   They do have some real use - and they're easy wrestling viewing to watch.

I suspect COVID changed plans here, but I hope they keep the squashes- I just wish more wrestlers, esp the higher up ones , would win without finishers.

13 Matches on Dark, by my count six ended with non-established finishers (Rey Fenix, Santana & Ortiz, Ivelisse & Diamante, Gunn Club, Ten, SCU). Fenix and Santana & Ortiz were probably the biggest stars on the show working enhancement matches.  This leaves Tay Conti, Thunder Rosa, Hirsch, Red Velvet, The Acclaimed, 4 man team and Team Comoroto. Those are mostly relatively newer acts who have to establish their finishers for the audience and Joey Janella who let Bear County hit their finish before he hit his. This seems like a pretty good ratio to me.

• Like 1

I figured Best Friends would be next up but with Trent's injury, maybe now's the time to roll with Silver/Reynolds. There is fun to be had with the other Dark Order guys wanting to Freebird the belts, but Silver/Reynolds refuse. Uno/Stu can talk about how they're finally champions, with Silver doing a manic "Uhhhh, no you're not! No you're not, we are!" in the background.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I figured Best Friends would be next up but with Trent's injury, maybe now's the time to roll with Silver/Reynolds. There is fun to be had with the other Dark Order guys wanting to Freebird the belts, but Silver/Reynolds refuse. Uno/Stu can talk about how they're finally champions, with Silver doing a manic "Uhhhh, no you're not! No you're not, we are!" in the background.

You get the pencil!

• Haha 1

That's a lumberjack match so either they will automatically interfering as two of the guys on the outside or the guys on the outside are supposed to stop them.