DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

13 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

we joke about the legdrop as a soft finisher but

A] go back and look at the air he used to get before coming down.  Young Hogan especially had serious hops for a guy that big.  Small wonder he curtailed the height of his jump later on.  Savage had to change how he did his top rope elbow for the same reasons.

B] 250-300 nights a year for 10 years landing hip first on that hard-ass ring.  Of course he needed replacement surgery.

A) By "change how he did his top rope elbow," Savage meant "avoid landing on my hip by just doing a shoot elbowdrop."  ?

B) If you count Japan trips and multiple crossings of the International Date line, it was roughly 396 nights a year, brother!

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

jeQpmJ.gif

Proper Uranage with the spin.

God damn that's that Ogawa shit

On the Lars Sullivan tip, I wonder if he'll be one of these guys who stays humble, barnstorms the indies, gets better at his craft, and eventually gets back to WWE.  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL just kidding, guys.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

If Sullivan doesn't just disappear from the scene altogether, this time next year we'll think of Ryback as well adjusted and not bitter at all.

• Like 1

I risk emoticons from Craig and others, but whilst the behaviour with the yoga instructor was not good at all and given he was warned (sort of anyway) can be deemed to be sexual harassment, I don't think he should be Voldemorted. I doubt Lars is the sort of person I'd want to be friends with, he's done some dumb shit, and he could do with working on himself *a lot*. But from what I know, I don't think he's done anything which makes him irredeemable like, say, a David Starr. He seems to me like he's probably someone who deserves pity rather than hatred, and I'd rather see him successful down the road than on the dead wrestler list. Both seem possible right now. So whilst I wouldn't wish him all the best in his future endavours, I hope he endeavours wisely and I'd certainly wish him all the best with that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I risk emoticons from Craig and others, but whilst the behaviour with the yoga instructor was not good at all and given he was warned (sort of anyway) can be deemed to be sexual harassment, I don't think he should be Voldemorted. I doubt Lars is the sort of person I'd want to be friends with, he's done some dumb shit, and he could do with working on himself *a lot*. But from what I know, I don't think he's done anything which makes him irredeemable like, say, a David Starr. He seems to me like he's probably someone who deserves pity rather than hatred, and I'd rather see him successful down the road than on the dead wrestler list. Both seem possible right now. So whilst I wouldn't wish him all the best in his future endavours, I hope he endeavours wisely and I'd certainly wish him all the best with that.

Didn't he have a history of offensive/hateful posts too?

I don't wish the guy any harm, he can go find something else to do with his life, but I have no problem with him never being in the pro wrestling industry or public spotlight ever again. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Didn't he have a history of offensive/hateful posts too?

I don't wish the guy any harm, he can go find something else to do with his life, but I have no problem with him never being in the pro wrestling industry or public spotlight ever again. 

He was a bodybuilding message board years ago and said offensive things about pretty every group that you can think of.  Oh, and he also really, really liked Stephanie McMahon.  So even if there wasn't accusation recently he's still a grade-A piece of shit that shouldn't be a public figure anymore.

• Like 1

Fightful Select following up with Lars:

Fightful reached out to Lars Sullivan, and actually heard back from him when the news dropped on Tuesday. He confirmed the release happened, and was surprised WWE didn't announce it themselves. He chalked it up to them being nice about them, and was very complimentary of how they handled his departure, saying they did it with "compassion and honesty."

Sullivan informed us that he told WWE he was done with wrestling after battling crippling anxiety issues to the point of struggling to eat during days of TV filming, and was having trouble sleeping. He also lost his father last year, which compounded a rollercoaster year for him. Sullivan called himself his own worst enemy, and owned up to multiple issues that prevented him from gaining traction in what he called his dream job.

Sullivan told us that he's likely done with wrestling, and again took responsibility for the issues that led to that, calling some actions "idiocy" and "his own selfish behavior."

We spoke with him about his WWE run and he was grateful for the experience. One person in WWE told us that they saw his shirtless promo with Michael Cole as "sabotage, but if it was a test, he passed it." Sullivan himself said he liked doing the promo and saw it as them looking to add more depth to his character. He was given specific instruction to breath heavy through my nose and the verbiage.

A point that was hammered home was that he was treated well by both the WWE office and a locker room, and it wasn't a case of bullying.

Miz is an easy target.

Responsible for the last time Dolph Ziggler was interesting.

Shane feud was better than it had any right to be.

Bryan feud was amazing.

Possibly the only guy who has done 15 years of the WWE circuit week in week out trading pointless wins that is still over, despite essentially still doing the same act and numerous people feeling just as stale after 5 years.

Its still enjoyable seeing the guy get beat up despite there being plenty of options to indulge in it.

Sincerely,

Guy who hasn't watched a MizTV segment in 4 years.

• Like 2

I always thought the problem with Lars was they tried to hot shot him up to the main roster way too fast.  I don't know if the anxiety issues are for real with him (but I'll assume yes for the moment). But the WWE could have slowly worked on him in NXT and in the time since he was in NXT to right now, he probably would have been ready for a proper main roster debut. 

Anxiety is no fun. So I hope he's gotten help with it. Honestly I liked him in the ring. He could have been (still can be) a Sid Vicious type monster for someone with the right molding. 

15 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I always thought the problem with Lars was they tried to hot shot him up to the main roster way too fast.  I don't know if the anxiety issues are for real with him (but I'll assume yes for the moment). But the WWE could have slowly worked on him in NXT and in the time since he was in NXT to right now, he probably would have been ready for a proper main roster debut. 

Anxiety is no fun. So I hope he's gotten help with it. Honestly I liked him in the ring. He could have been (still can be) a Sid Vicious type monster for someone with the right molding. 

Lars's issue was not really about being main roster ready. He had one Black's best matches in NXT and was a generally solid monster. His issue was his anxiety and his dumbass net history which even he seems to admit. He would have been fine w/o those if booked even semi-decently.

• Like 1

When the Instagram comments happened I was, and still am, done with Lars. He clearly didn't learn from the first time. I can only feel so bad for him in regards to mental health issues. I have bad depression and anxiety too, I'm sure many others here have too. It's not an excuse to then act like he did.

I will say, I find it sad that once again, being a shitty person didn't matter but missing shows is what got him fired.

He didn't commit a crime and even if he had, if he shows actual improvement as a person I think he can allowed a 2nd opportunity down the line. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Before the message board stuff came out, I was viewing Lars Sullivan as the second coming of Gorilla Monsoon.

Was it cause of the sideburns?

As a sideburns owner myself, I loved Gorilla's. Hated Lars'. But my all time favorites are Don Leo Jonathan and CM Punk right before he walked.

• Like 1