DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There are about 5-6 teams better than the Young Bucks in their own promotion.  WON Awards is just "Vote for what Dave likes"  

I think FTR are the better team, but the Bucks were all over the voting for match of the year. I think they deserved it more this year than several of the years during their streak.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think FTR are the better team, but the Bucks were all over the voting for match of the year. I think they deserved it more this year than several of the years during their streak.

I'd have FTR, Omega & Page, Best Friends, Santana & Ortiz above them from this past year and others i would consider. 

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'd have FTR, Omega & Page, Best Friends, Santana & Ortiz above them from this past year and others i would consider. 

That makes no sense because the Bucks were the only team pushed as a main event act the ENTIRE year (or whenever the eligibility period would be). Why? They got to go against ALL the teams you mentioned plus like Jurassic Express and the Butcher & the Blade. FTR would probably be runner up, but I think FTR had too many lulls due to not being on TV consistently. There were times I forgot FTR was even there until they showed FTR and Tully giving an interview or something like that. Not their fault, but that should rule you out of tag team of the year.

Now if there was an underrated team of the year award, AEW would have several potential candidates just because they helped the Bucks get to that position.

It's funny that as much shit Cody gets, I feel like the Young Bucks are always positioned as the top team WITH or WITHOUT the belts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

That makes no sense because the Bucks were the only team pushed as a main event act the ENTIRE year (or whenever the eligibility period would be). Why? They got to go against ALL the teams you mentioned plus like Jurassic Express and the Butcher & the Blade. FTR would probably be runner up, but I think FTR had too many lulls due to not being on TV consistently. There were times I forgot FTR was even there until they showed FTR and Tully giving an interview or something like that. Not their fault, but that should rule you out of tag team of the year.

Now if there was an underrated team of the year award, AEW would have several potential candidates just because they helped the Bucks get to that position.

I don't believe so..   Best Friends and Santana & Ortiz had the best match maybe in AEW history and while the Bucks had a tremendous match with Omega and Hangman it was due to the storytelling aspect of the match which is more Kenny's bag and less so the Bucks. It was drastically different from what we typically see from them. 

I prefer watching FTR vs. Any old tag team than the Bucks. 

If you had a gun to my head asking me whether PnP/Best Friends or Bucks/Kenny& Page was the better match, I really don't know if I could give you an honest answer. I loved them both so much for entirely different reasons, and thinking back to the show threads, I suspect a lot of us are in that boat

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't believe so..   Best Friends and Santana & Ortiz had the best match maybe in AEW history and while the Bucks had a tremendous match with Omega and Hangman it was due to the storytelling aspect of the match which is more Kenny's bag and less so the Bucks. It was drastically different from what we typically see from them. 

I prefer watching FTR vs. Any old tag team than the Bucks. 

It's not about one match though or even personal preference. It's about a body of work. Hell, I even forgot to mention them being able to go against Private Party and Dark Order (the Evil Uno & Stu Grayson combo). They got to have great matches with EVERYONE, not just one excellent match. By default, that makes them tag team of the year.

FWIW, Bucks were in the matches voted best and third best, as well as another top ten match this year. It's circular, I admit, but the people who voted them tag team of the year are the people who thought they were in three of the ten best matches this year, including number 1.

(Parking Lot Brawl was awesome, but Omega/Page vs Bucks was the best match I saw in 2020 by a pretty easy margin, imo.)

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 5:27 AM, The Natural said:

Still remember this Cesaro theme fondly:

I never realized that there is a lot of Swiss German in that theme, somehow I only heard "c'est un miracle, c'est vrai" and just assumed the theme to be fully in French, but actually there are as much Swiss German lyrics as there are French lyrics.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

(...)

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC
Winner: WWE firing people during a pandemic during a year where they were setting profit records

Agree with @John from Cincinnati that this dosn't particularly seem like a "tactic." Definitely disgusting,though.

(...)

For completeness sake, the top 10:

1. WWE FIRING PEOPLE DURING A PANDEMIC DURING A YEAR WHERE THEY WERE SETTING PROFIT RECORDS 616

2. WWE operating for months without COVID testing 247

3. WWE stopping talent from third party opportunities 63

4. WWE running in Saudi Arabia 48

5. AEW restarting Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara match 21

6. Rey Mysterio losing his eye angle 19

7. Dana White attempting to run a Native American reservation show in California to get around COVID restrictions 17

8. WWE continuing to employ and push wrestlers with credible sexual allegations against them 15

-. Bushiroad handling the death of Hana Kimura 15

10. WWE Drake Maverick firing storyline with all the real firings 14

a bad list for a bad year

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's not about one match though or even personal preference. It's about a body of work. Hell, I even forgot to mention them being able to go against Private Party and Dark Order (the Evil Uno & Stu Grayson combo). They got to have great matches with EVERYONE, not just one excellent match. By default, that makes them tag team of the year.

But that is personal preference. The people who voted on the matches of the year (Dave's readers) generally vote for what he likes which is personal preferences of one man or one close minded community and then they use that criteria to make up who they believe the best team is on that body of work. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I believe if DVDVR did an awards it would be quite a bit different than WON. There would be a lot more variety than what we see here. 

Looking forward to the pages of navel-gazing and three paragraph non-apologies after the arguments over why "1996 Battlarts" isn't a valid contender for Promotion of the Year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But that is personal preference. The people who voted on the matches of the year (Dave's readers) generally vote for what he likes which is personal preferences of one man or one close minded community and then they use that criteria to make up who they believe the best team is on that body of work. 

That's extremely silly though because no one expects to have an entirely different viewpoint than the entity putting on the awards. Whoever puts on the awards in ANYTHING is going to have a likeminded voter representation. The only difference is with the WON is you have a face to match the entity. 

It's very butthurt to be like, "the thing that I love PERSONALLY" just needs to be mentioned so we can have variety. You can still love that thing as an individual without it getting ANY recognition. That's bizarre to need that reinforcement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Looking forward to the pages of navel-gazing and three paragraph non-apologies after the arguments over why "1996 Battlarts" isn't a valid contender for Promotion of the Year.

The amount of people getting banned would make it simultaneously the FIRST ANNUAL AND ALSO LAST ANNUAL.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Let's rumble!

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's very butthurt to be like, "the thing that I love PERSONALLY" just needs to be mentioned so we can have variety. You can still love that thing as an individual without it getting ANY recognition. That's bizarre to need that reinforcement.

A prompt with this text should appear any time someone talks about Zack Snyder in the DC movies thread. 

• Haha 2

Now that I think about it: if everyone here was eligible to vote, the amount of people voting for five or six different things would be eclipsed by the people who vote for what would normally win in the WON (meaning it would dilute and divide the votes for any dark horse nominee). So essentially, you would have the same winner in damn near every category EXCEPT the fifth place runner up would be like some twenty-five way tie made up by like six or seven people who barely post here. That would shatter the illusion of parity and also be hilarious.

• Like 2

The readership of the WON is attracted to it partially because its head likes the same things they like.

It's like people being attracted to DVDVR for its love of good punches, Southern tags, and Blitzkreig. All of those things would get lots of awards here, maybe somehow even if said awards are just limited to 2021.

Take the WON Awards for what they are: A historical snapshot of a certain segment of hardcore wrestling fans in 2021 and what they dig. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's like people being attracted to DVDVR for its love of good punches, Southern tags, and Blitzkreig. All of those things would get lots of awards here, maybe somehow even if said awards are just limited to 2021.

Don't forget about MISSILE DROPKICKS 

• Like 1