DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Terry Funk had a quote on the commentary of Beyond the Mat where he said guys like Jake and Raven were the smartest because they could get over while doing nothing dangerous. There's got to be a short list of workers like that. 

Jake 

Raven (if you really want to put him on it)

Lawler (even though I've seen him take a ten foot bump horizontally to the floor)

Superstar Graham

I dunno, who else?

EDIT: Well Graham's steroid abuse was more dangerous than any bump. And I didn't put anyone from Mexico on there because the list would expand exponentially.

Wouldn't most over guys from the 80s make this list? I'm not including drugs in the doing nothing dangerous part, but Hogan didn't do anything except punches, a bodyslam, big boot, and leg drop. Ted DiBiase comes to mind. Actually, a lot of guys come to mind.

Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant's only bump was often his elbow drop, unless he was feeling tuckered out and then used the sleeper instead. Dory Jr. and Sheik may not have been bump machines but they worked a very physical style, Funk with the suplexes and takeovers and Sheik with the brawling. Falir would often take bumps that he didn't have to, even to the end. Dustin Rhodes? I remember lotsa bumpin'. Lawler could work a whole match with one or no bumps when he wanted to - heck, sometimes there was no contact for the first 15 minutes - and we loved it. All the giants who couldn't work (Khali, Gonzalez, et al) and late era Andre & Baba worked a totally safe style.

less is more,

RAF

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

LOL at Christian getting some spotlight.  So if Vince never sees much in you for your whole career, all you need to finally get a push in WWE is to retire and then wait long enough to become one of the "Legends" that gets brought back for a pop. 

Speaking of the Yoko doc, I saw a clip of it and holy shit when did Vince get old?  I haven't watched WWE in 4 years and now I understand what they mean when a podcast I listen to refers to his voice as "Palpatine-y."  He also got that Old Guy Plastic surgery that looks so unnatural. 

Don't forget. Vince also works like 20 hour days still and some how manages maybe two or three hours of sleep. That would haggar the hell out of anyone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Some rings used to be harder. The culmination of bumps over time wear downs the spine along with age,  plus amount of shows they were working increases the rate.

Size is a major factor too. The bigger guys of the 80s and 90s had a lot of problems with weight grinding down their cartilage. This generation of smaller guys is going to have more longevity.

How old is Jeff Hardy now? How old is Sabu? Because they were both supposed to have been in Wheelchairs fifteen years ago. And neither of them is. Bollocks to Less is More. Less is less. More is more.

DiBiase ended up with a Lloyd's of London policy thanks to a "career ending neck injury" admitted exacerbated by that one corner bump he took in Japan. 

The rings + hours of time in the car probably didn't help the backs of guys in the 70s and 80s, especially being 250+ pounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The rings + hours of time in the car probably didn't help the backs of guys in the 70s and 80s, especially being 250+ pounds.

Constantly lifting weights cant be too good for the body either. That's a lot of stress on your frame.

Edited by PetrolCB

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

How old is Jeff Hardy now? How old is Sabu? Because they were both supposed to have been in Wheelchairs fifteen years ago. And neither of them is. Bollocks to Less is More. Less is less. More is more.

Common sense: Less is more.

Jeff Hardy, days away from his 41st birthday:

Spoiler

tenor.gif?itemid=12401509

To answer your question, he's now 43. Sabu is 56.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I saw a link from a newz site saying that Cesaro's contract is going to expire after Mania. Has this been confirmed by a reputable source?

It came from Wrestling Inc which is... okayish???

But if you are looking for Meltzer, PWI, Fightful or like Mike Johnson to confirm - I haven't seen it yet

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Common sense: Less is more.

Jeff Hardy, days away from his 41st birthday:

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif?itemid=12401509

To answer your question, he's now 43. Sabu is 56.

It really says something that Jeff now basically does shoot Swantons landing with his whole back because it’s so fucked he can’t really roll like he used to. Because THAT’S much better for your spine.

Imagine how much less damage Hogan would have done to himself if he just used the clothesline finish from Japan. Or the sleeper like he wanted. Was a submission a credible finish for an 80s babyface though?

4 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Imagine how much less damage Hogan would have done to himself if he just used the clothesline finish from Japan. Or the sleeper like he wanted. Was a submission a credible finish for an 80s babyface though?

Yeah, its fine. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Piper used the sleeper and it worked for him. But them both having it might have been an internal issue.

I could see Hulk using the bear hug or the full nelson then.

Anybody remember WCW vs. the World on PlayStation way back when? I think his super grapple was the one-shoulder backbreaker, maybe use that.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I really wish that at some point during the '02 run or when he was getting physical occasionally in TNA that Hogan busted out the axe bomber (unless I missed it). 

He did against Chono in NJPW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He did against Chono in NJPW.

I've never seen that match! I'll have to seek that out. I do have vague memories of it happening - this is the match where Jarrett and Hogan shot a TNA angle at the press conference afterwards that went nowhere, correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

And yet, Hogan had to have a hip replacement, right? A combination of hundreds (thousands?) of leg drops and probably deposits in his his from steroid injections.

we joke about the legdrop as a soft finisher but

A] go back and look at the air he used to get before coming down.  Young Hogan especially had serious hops for a guy that big.  Small wonder he curtailed the height of his jump later on.  Savage had to change how he did his top rope elbow for the same reasons.

B] 250-300 nights a year for 10 years landing hip first on that hard-ass ring.  Of course he needed replacement surgery.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Terry Funk had a quote on the commentary of Beyond the Mat where he said guys like Jake and Raven were the smartest because they could get over while doing nothing dangerous. There's got to be a short list of workers like that. 

Jake 

Raven (if you really want to put him on it)

Lawler (even though I've seen him take a ten foot bump horizontally to the floor)

Superstar Graham

I dunno, who else?

EDIT: Well Graham's steroid abuse was more dangerous than any bump. And I didn't put anyone from Mexico on there because the list would expand exponentially.

If getting over is a prerequisite then my vote doesn't count, but I'd nominate The Great Khali?

ETA- I'd guess someone like a Nia Jax? Reckless as shit for a rep, but I can't remember her taking any wild bumps much less leaving her feet that often (although admittedly i dont think I've seen more than 2 or 3 Nia matches)

Edited by Hayabusa
Beat to the punch!