DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

On 2/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was listening to an old B&V show from like 2015 not too long ago. Whenever it was, they were talking that thing going on and said no sell. It's amazing that was when MGK was one of the hottest acts around. I know he's still around but it feels like the bloom is off that rose. Then I look at his wiki:

Holy shit...what happened to rock? Sidenote: AC/DC had a number 1 album last year. Have we traveled back to the late 1970s and I missed it? 

Anyway, re: Vince

That's a case of both things being true. Also, it doesn't mean that it's Vince himself who made that push. It isn't 25 years ago where Vince's inner circle was just a half dozen or so people that he trusted. 

It comes down to how streams count for sales. If you're an act that can still sell cds (ie: a legacy act or Adele/Taylor Swift) it's not hard to combine any amount of disc sales with high streams. Plus, the AC/DC album is your basic AC/DC album which means it rocks and gives you exactly what you expect. The MGK album sounds like a 2000s mainstream pop-punk album (more blink 182 style than a Queers pop-punk style) which is super popular with both people in the 28-33 age range for nostalgia and with teens as a nostalgia for something we never experienced type deal.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:
This. A fucking disgrace. Lance Storm's a good 'un.

Considering the flaccid and reluctant apology for the treatment of war hero Alan Turing, it's no more than I expect. Anyhoo, moving away from the fraught topic of UK politics...

Steiner's son's shoot name is pretty much one of those substitute Strowman names that were all the rage in these parts awhile back. He looks like a unit though.

To the McGillicutty quip, do they have many other 2nd gen guys at the PC at the moment? It's been long enough in WWE years to rehash Legacy, right? AEW probably has them beat anyway, between Hook, Anderson Jr and the Gunns. Though I'm sure there's one of the Anoa'i clan knocking around to beef out the group a la Manu.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@RazorbladeKiss87That kind of goes with my theory that there was a ton of money left on the table not attempting to make those Def Jam games into a real thing. Even if you couldn't find any trainable rappers, they could've at least made em corner men

Urban Wrestling Federation tried it but it wasn't good. FilmRise owns the rights thanks to Steve Karrel of ECW and the shows are constantly on the ppv channels and also Youtube. They also ran the sleazy women's ppvs that got heat with a few of the bigger females in the indie scene last year (or 2019, can't remember which) like LuFisto. Uncle Murda was involved as was Gunplay. It came off more like a white guy writing a hip-hop show. I would like to see this though. The Griselda guys are also big wrestling fans and they are more traditional rap than the Detroit/Flint scene is (as a lot of the MI guys don't rap on beat or in the traditional pockets you'd associate with hip-hop.) It might come off as those old rap crew movies used to though.

56 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@RazorbladeKiss87That kind of goes with my theory that there was a ton of money left on the table not attempting to make those Def Jam games into a real thing. Even if you couldn't find any trainable rappers, they could've at least made em corner men

With as big a Wrestling fans as they were I'm shocked Redman, Method Man, or Busta Rhymes never ended up on WWF tv in the late 90s, early 00s. Especially since Red and Meth were on a WWf album.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

With as big a Wrestling fans as they were I'm shocked Redman, Method Man, or Busta Rhymes never ended up on WWF tv in the late 90s, early 00s. Especially since Red and Meth were on a WWf album.

I know MVP and Mia Yim are hug Wutang marks. The Beat Down Clan was basically Wrestlings Wutang. Also RZA is close with Batista. Most, if not all of the Wutang Clan members are wrestling fans and Redman would throw in wrestling references in is raps on occasion. The business right now is so willing to accept any celebrity thats remotely athletic with a big enough name. Outside of the fact that they're taking another wrestlers potential pay day, I don't have a problem with it. Most the celebrities that get to work actual matches are the ones who are big enough fans that it was something they've always wanted to do. And from a promoters stand point they probably hoped to stumble upon another Tyson/Austin  situation were they turn business around especially since wrestling isn't as socially relevant right now. WWE is trying to bring in Cardi B, I hope she does get involved. Seeing as she's the same age as alot of the women on the roster, I could see her hitting it off with a few of them and maybe leading to more crossover for some of them

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's a slight exaggeration. They're not really used and those machines are like in super seedy weird areas based on some quick googling. The only way to know for sure is to get @El Gran Gordi's views on it!

It's more than a "slight exaggeration" It is ridiculous ignorant bullshit. 

There is, however, definitely a subculture here that specializes in sexualizing and fetishizing very young women. I'm not sure how prevalent it is, but it certainly exists. Also not really sure if that has any relevance whatsoever w/r/t Scurl in New Japan.

Oh, and I also disagree with @NintendoLogic about Jim Neidhart. Like @Matt D I also felt a little disappointed when Tony K deflected the "Do you think Anvil was better than Hitman?" question. Undoubtedly, Bret had the better career and left behind the more impressive body of work, but I am always impressed by Neidhart when I watch old Hart Foundation matches, particularly pre title run stuff from '86 vs teams like the Killer Bees and Islanders. He was great in his role at that time. It's the small things, like his timing on interference spots:

Babyface Islanders are also an excellent,  probably underrated team, and '87 title run Foundation could be pretty good, too, despite being saddled with the Danny Davis stuff:

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

and Neidhart is absolutely a victim of the Wheat Or Chaff paradigm that gets unfairly imposed on all tag teams.  Yes, Bret turned out to be an all-time great. That does not mean Anvil must have been a slug

• Like 6

I feel like the more I watch old TNA the more I start to think I've been duped thinking it was the shits this whole time. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is silly or downright bad, but it's almost always entertaining. The above clip perfectly encapsulates the wonders of TNA. AJ taking a savage bump, disheveled Lex Luger a step away from getting caught up in Billy's t-shirts (which are too tight!), Abyss becoming the tag team champion by winning what appears to be a 1-on-1 tables match, child aged ref Posey now of AEW, and the GOATed announce pairing of all time sounding like they put their money on AJ. Everything here is great. 

• Like 5

I think I remember wishing back then that Lex would get it together for a run in TNA. He was still in shape (personal demons aside). He could have been beneficial to them had he given a shit. Then again he would have probably just been eventually used to put the NWA Title on Jarrett one way or another because all things TNA led to Jarrett.

• Like 3

I've seen a lot of the Hart Foundation run quite recently.  Bret is holding those matches together.  Anvil does a great job but has obvious limitations.  He works better on offense, he's shot out of a cannon but then fizzles out.  Bret works exceedingly well in whatever is asked of him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's a lot of gross fun. Joey at one point notes that "this is the best Sabu's ever looked," which feels true. I wonder if this was in his run-up to being signed to WWECW, where he was also looked healthy and was doing great stuff. He's in good shape, hits his spots clean (relatively), and he and LA Park move at the right speed with each other. Very stabby and passionate. There's a really nice moment in this where LA Park has been taking an especially vicious ass-kicking, and the front row get a chant going for him.

It made me rewatch the Joe - Necro Butcher match and --  I heard a little bit about the backstory, and I see there's shoot stuff around with Necro Butcher talking about it, but has Joe ever said anything?

Not surprising but the whole Network to Peacock is still a cluster

From the new WON

Regarding Peacock, the plan for Fast Lane on 3/21 is to be on both Peacock and the WWE Network. The original plan was for the WWE Network to be switched over to Peacock on 3/18. The complete switch is still scheduled prior to WrestleMania for the U.S. only where Peacock will be the only way to get the show. It’s been noted to us that Peacock is now well suited for live sports and at least at first, that will be the case with WWE as well. One person noted to us their EPL coverage is not good, since if you watch live, it has to be live, you can’t join in and start at the beginning, or pause or rewind during the live broadcast. The service has also had issues with getting replays up in a timely fashion. Sometimes they are immediate once the game is over and sometimes it takes hours. Also, originally I was told your WWE Network account would transfer over, but now it appears you will have to sign up with Peacock to move your account over. But all this changes and will likely continue to change until the launch

• Haha 2

This match is a prime example of what I'm talking about. When Neidhart is the legal man, he supplies nothing but generic big man offense. And it's not like he does anything special on the apron. In fact, there are a couple of spots that look like clear setups for him to interfere, but he either runs in late or doesn't run it at all because he's asleep at the switch. It forces Bret to practically wrestle for two. This is actually one of my favorite matches of all time, so it being so awesome despite Anvil's contributions (or lack thereof) is a testament to how great Bret was even then. I will grant that Neidhart turns in a much better performance in the Killer Bees match (another one of my all-time favorites).

If anyone has not yet seen NXT UK this week then you should definitely watch Tyler Bate Vs Bailey Matthews(Regal's kid) as they have a very good, short match and Bailey held his own. You can tell he is Regal's son and Regal should be very proud as he really did well in his WWE debut.

Bailey Matthews if pushed right is one for the future. 

• Like 1