DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I still steadfastly believe Asuka beating Charlotte and then losing via a Carmella cash-in following the Iconics attack was the better way to go.

Image result for carmella iiconics gif
Image result for carmella iiconics gif

oh, the rudo trio that might have been

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Spontaneous said:

Have there ever been any winning streaks where the loss doesn't suck? It feels hard to pay that off in a way where both wrestlers come out looking good. 

I mean, I might be in the minority, but I thought the end to Undertaker's WrestleMania streak was pretty great.

On that same note, but the other side of it - it kind of sucks that Mr. Perfect's undefeated streak ended at the hands of fucking Brutus Beefcake (unless you count untelevised house shows, but the TV didn't, so...). And apparently the Hogan vs Perfect/Genius handicap match aired on MSG Network after WrestleMania, but taped before it (?), so even that doesn't count technically if we're following just what aired on TV in chronological order.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

What the F is this about?

The thread: 

I have attempted some good ol boot licking to avoid the block.  I would say I am stupid and I respect him but I do not know how that will go with the language barrier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, what are the best barb wire and/or exploding ring barb wire matches to watch? 

I mean, has there ever been a GOOD one? It's all spectacle and voyeuristic bloodlust but is there one that legitimately can be called a great match? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hagan said:

So, what are the best barb wire and/or exploding ring barb wire matches to watch? 

I mean, has there ever been a GOOD one? It's all spectacle and voyeuristic bloodlust but is there one that legitimately can be called a great match? 

Yo:

• Like 8

Hayabuas/Tanaka v. Funk/Mr. Pogo No Ropes Exploding Barbed Wire Double Hell Exploding Deathmatch is a fun little fight, as you have Busa throwing himself all over the place, bumping like a freak and Terry Funk is in full "Crazy Terry Funk" mode while Pogo is Pogo and Masato Tanaka is just trying to direct traffic and have something resembling a match

I love this match to pieces!

James

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Hayabuas/Tanaka v. Funk/Mr. Pogo No Ropes Exploding Barbed Wire Double Hell Exploding Deathmatch is a fun little fight, as you have Busa throwing himself all over the place, bumping like a freak and Terry Funk is in full "Crazy Terry Funk" mode while Pogo is Pogo and Masato Tanaka is just trying to direct traffic and have something resembling a match

I love this match to pieces!

James

I love it too but it is a hot mess and doesn't really fall under the "great match" category, at least in the conventional sense. Foley/Funk is the same. 

No explosions, but I remember this ruling

• Like 2

I'm listening to Eddie Kingston on Renee's podcast right now and all I can think is this dude needs to be in Hollywood. He easily could have been a big bad on The Shield or Breaking Bad, he is just oozing charisma, menace, and legitimacy.

I know we've talked before about who from the wrestling world would be great at acting, but Kingston is going to be at the top of my list from now on. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Kingston can make you care about whatever angle he's in on whatever part of the card the angle's in. He's legitimately a great talent and should have had a better career than he's had. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

The thread: 

I have attempted some good ol boot licking to avoid the block.  I would say I am stupid and I respect him but I do not know how that will go with the language barrier.

Tobita is the man, I think I have seen more Tobita in the last year than most people outside of Japan. He even worked a 1995 show that had an exhibition match between Koichi Kimura vs Sayama as Super Tiger. This was during his PWC days and had a bunch of PWC guys on it, even Tigerman who would later show up in Eagle Pro. 

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean, I might be in the minority, but I thought the end to Undertaker's WrestleMania streak was pretty great.

On that same note, but the other side of it - it kind of sucks that Mr. Perfect's undefeated streak ended at the hands of fucking Brutus Beefcake (unless you count untelevised house shows, but the TV didn't, so...). And apparently the Hogan vs Perfect/Genius handicap match aired on MSG Network after WrestleMania, but taped before it (?), so even that doesn't count technically if we're following just what aired on TV in chronological order.

Yeah, THE streak was my first thought as well. I suppose it depends on how we define win streak though, you could argue that any lengthy title run is a win streak, in which case there should be plenty of examples which end in a satisfying title switch. But I assume we’re talking more newcomer win streaks, in which case I literally can’t think of any good examples.