DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

So, uh, Jericho's wife was supposedly at the Capitol insurrection back in January. Oh boy.

EDIT: Also, the story above about WWE employees being angry was what I was talking about a page or so ago - being denied raises and promotions.

Edited by Casey

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

So, uh, Jericho's wife was supposedly at the Capitol insurrection back in January. Oh boy.

That's gotta put the "not a political person" (who donated tens of thousands of dollars to that campaign under different names) in an awkward position. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

Two weeks ago, the Wrestling Safety Police went after Nia Jax for doing a Powerbomb/ Chokeslam thingy that was a perfectly safe flat back bump, but they decided she was being reckless and dangerous anyway. So then last week, she decided that since she wasn't getting over as a monster, she was going to be a comedy meme wrestler instead. And it worked, for a week at least. So what I'm thinking is, that's actually kind of a genius idea she's had there.

54 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching the Steiners/Harts match (see Wrestling Machines thread) and who knew that Stan Lane was the secret greatest play-by-play man of all time? Dude even called a potential sugar hold in there. How long was he in the booth for WWF? 

Some time in '95.

Lane is awesome in that match. He and Gorilla were a great pair.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

For some reason I forgot all about LA Gear and only remembered the Knights. 

We already got Steiner for the Pump, now we need a Regulator. I know the New Day almost got it but it's still there... all we need is that pesky licensing money for Warren G...

Warren G is totally an NXT name. And when he gets called up, you'll know they'll shorten it to G. 

Oh wait, there's Shorty G. The Universe could get confused.

Oh boy. What a dilemma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Two weeks ago, the Wrestling Safety Police went after Nia Jax for doing a Powerbomb/ Chokeslam thingy that was a perfectly safe flat back bump, but they decided she was being reckless and dangerous anyway. So then last week, she decided that since she wasn't getting over as a monster, she was going to be a comedy meme wrestler instead. And it worked, for a week at least. So what I'm thinking is, that's actually kind of a genius idea she's had there.

Pretty sure whoever took it had their head rebound into the mat. Nia hit a safe, cleaner version on Lana last week.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Some time in '95.

Lane is awesome in that match. He and Gorilla were a great pair.

wasn't he there just long enough to get some surgery on his neck as announcers are employees and have insurance, and then left?

21 minutes ago, dokdoyle said:

wasn't he there just long enough to get some surgery on his neck as announcers are employees and have insurance, and then left?

I dont know about that. I assume it was a SMW/WWF crossover during the down period, and he just wanted to do something without bumping.

Lane going to the WWF really had nothing to do with the SMW deal, he'd quit SMW and then Jerry Jarrett gained power in the WWF and hired Stan as an announcer, basically on the strength of him doing a Cheesy DJ voice to entertain the boys back in the day and later in his introductions of Jim Cornette in WCW. I think its been said that if he'd known the WWF/SMW deal was going to happen he'd have kept wrestling for a bit longer. 

WWF got rid of him/he quit in after they wanted him to portray a overenthusiastic mark character that would shill the PPVs while wearing all the wrestler's merchandise and he didn't want to do it and left to commentate on powerboat racing. Michael Hayes had no such qualms and so we got Dok Hendrix. 

Edited by Happ Hazzard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

lol.

WWE is supposedly handing out violations that come in tiers (1st: warning, 2nd: fine, 3rd: suspension) for any talent that mention on Twitter or Instagram any "third party platforms, person, brand or CHARITY".

Just to give an idea: Lana made over a half million dollars in 2020 from sponsored posts, and Mandy Rose made JUST shy of half a million.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

In the green room at the Vancouver All Star tapings in the mid-80s, Mauro used to entertain us all backstage by (you guessed it) doing a cheesy AM DJ voice.

Wait...were you part of All Star Wrestling? We used to get it randomly on Saturday afternoons in Toronto back in the day! 

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wait...were you part of All Star Wrestling? We used to get it randomly on Saturday afternoons in Toronto back in the day! 

I was indeed on that show, when it was still a couple of swirls from going down the toilet completely. Incredibly good times. in addition to working with Mauro Ranallo (and Canadian indie mainstays like Buddy Wayne, Verne Seibert and Diamond Timothy Flowers) I was heavily involved with the story when John Tenta first came in, and I was there when Raven came through briefly (As Scotty the Body). My character, which I would be astonished if anyone remembers him, was called "Thumper." I mostly worked as a heel manager and heel commentator on TV. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I was indeed on that show, when it was still a couple of swirls from going down the toilet completely. Incredibly good times. in addition to working with Mauro Ranallo (and Canadian indie mainstays like Buddy Wayne, Verne Seibert and Diamond Timothy Flowers) I was heavily involved with the story when John Tenta first came in, and I was there when Raven came through briefly (As Scotty the Body). My character, which I would be astonished if anyone remembers him, was called "Thumper." I mostly worked as a heel manager and heel commentator on TV. 

You worked with Ed Karl? That's awesome. All Star was my introduction to TV studio wrestling...it really helped shape my pro wrestling palate along with the the traditional "big 3" promotions of the 80s.

Lots of great memories of the All Star crew...The Frog, Buddy Wayne, Ole Olson, Diamond Timothy Flowers, etc etc. Goodtimes.

• Thanks 1