DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Roman was just an example of how I feel the awards would be different if a group with wider range were voting. 

What wider range? He is one of the most known wrestlers in the world. It would be different it were talking about some super underrated indy guy who is having a stellar year. As is, he is correctly rated where he should be. An awards process here would further prove that. Anything else is just conjecture.

16 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Give Rhea Seehorn all the Emmys, you cowards!

In lieu of that, I hereby nominate her for a Niner award. Of course he'll probably snub her too because he preferred Mercedes in The Mandalorian. 

This may be a shocker to you but I'd nominate Elizabeth Olsen. ?

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Give Rhea Seehorn all the Emmys, you cowards!

In lieu of that, I hereby nominate her for a Niner award. Of course he'll probably snub her too because he preferred Mercedes in The Mandalorian. 

Here is where the logic being promoted falls apart:

Pushing for the guy who is anchoring the most watched wrestling show right now would be like someone in the Academy or Hollywood Foreign Press Association using their diversity and inclusion effort to get Avengers: Endgame or Joker to win Best Picture or Best Motion Picture - Drama on the basis that these independent films are overrated as Cannes, TIFF, and Sundance are the tastemakers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here is where the logic being promoted falls apart:

Pushing for the guy who is anchoring the most watched wrestling show right now.

What you just said right here is why he probably should be ranked even higher if "Box Office Draw" is an award for who has the argument for drawing the most eyeballs. There was a clear and sustained uptick in viewership on SD! When Reigns returned or so I've read. If you go by just key demographics SD! Is the most watched show. If it's just attendance this year had none.

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There was a clear and sustained uptick in viewership on SD! When Reigns returned or so I've read.

The problem though is WWE is more brand driven than AEW. You can change venues and have themed shows and get better ratings. WWE being heavily short term solution oriented hurts them (the individual performers) in the box office category cause you cannot differentiate if the guy draws that rating or a certain announcement/gimmick got those ratings.

With AEW specifically, the ratings are clearly affected by if Jericho, Mox, or someone else who is floating near that tier is wrestling. Otherwise, they float in the decent to just above average range not counting the outlier of the Brodie Lee tribute show which smoked NXT that night cause it kinda had to. Drawing eyeballs to a lesser known brand is more impressive than getting ratings back to normal for a company with falling ratings Year Over Year. That ITSELF is another issue confronting Roman.

In addition, Smackdown every week makes Fox the last ranked out of the major networks for the night whereas comparatively AEW always ranks high for the night in cable IIRC. AEW shouldn't be doing that one or two years in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The problem though is WWE is more brand driven than AEW. You can change venues and have themed shows and get better ratings. WWE being heavily short term solution oriented hurts them (the individual performers) in the box office category cause you cannot differentiate if the guy draws that rating or a certain announcement/gimmick got those ratings.

With AEW specifically, the ratings are clearly affected by if Jericho, Mox, or someone else who is floating near that tier is wrestling. Otherwise, they float in the decent to just above average range not counting the outlier of the Brodie Lee tribute show which smoked NXT that night cause it kinda had to. Drawing eyeballs to a lesser known brand is more impressive than getting ratings back to normal for a company with falling ratings Year Over Year. That ITSELF is another issue confronting Roman.

I agree that should hurt Reigns fairly/unfairly over time but just for this year I believe Meltzer has said this several times himself that SD! ratings have been a lot better with Roman and I believe they can also judge by which quarters pull in better ratings i.e. Roman's weekly segments or when they reported Bayley/Sasha title match had an inordinate amount of viewers. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree that should hurt Reigns fairly/unfairly over time but just for this year I believe Meltzer has said this several times himself that SD! ratings have been a lot better with Roman and I believe they can also judge by which quarters pull in better ratings i.e. Roman's weekly segments or when they reported Bayley/Sasha title match had an inordinate amount of viewers. 

Another thing though: They were breaking RECORD LOW ratings almost every week before he came back. If Roman didn't get those numbers back up based on his history and how he has been pushed, they would have a larger problem. That said, not doing incredibly high numbers for being on Fox as I added above probably would ding him as well. They're doing fine, but it ain't a runaway success.

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I'll hide the guns.

Can we please not talk about guns? Cause I'm gonna end up with some weird MAGA Don't Tread on Me banner ads or some shit.

Seriously, I got like some strange ad this past week featuring a red hat saying "STAY CALM IDIOT, IT'S JUST A RED HAT" and a map of the United States with some right wing jargon about real America. Apparently, one of those items was a hot seller.

• Like 2

I know it's their own fault on so many levels, but WWE has been snakebit for the last many years when you think about it.

2014: Punk quits
2014: Bryan injury #1
2015: Bryan injury #2
2015: Rollins injury (which led to the goofy Wretlemania 32 where everyone seemed injured)
2016: Balor wins the new Universal title and has to immediately give it up
2016: Sting injured and forced to retire in his second major match for the company.
2018: Cena retires from a full schedule
2018: Reigns cancer diagnosis
2019: Rousey leaves after basically one year
2020: COVID completely remixing Wrestlemania
2020: Edge injury
2020: Becky Lynch relinquishes title due to pregnancy

There are a thousand smaller things too (A Charlotte injury here, a Reigns wellness violation there) but in almost every case above, it was a main eventer, a major cog, going down or leaving in the midst of a major push. It adds up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Hasn't Meltzer himself said he rates matches based upon his likes/preferences? If you like what he likes, use his ratings to see what you'd like?

Although, I can't think of any awards show that isn't always just kindling for endless arguments.

He's actually said the exact opposite. He says he's given high ratings to matches he personally hated, the Taker/Foley HIAC and the Omega/Moxley lights out match being perhaps the most prominent examples.

Ignoring everything else everyone else has already covered for a moment, most disgusting promotional tactic basically ignoring the whole widespread "speaking out" movement is the one that is the biggest "what in the hell were any of you thinking?" thing in this entire thing. It kinda shed a light on how many awful people were getting away with awful activity for ages, including at times by people who ran promotions and used that to their advantage which seems like a more disgusting thing than a round of layoffs (which don't get me wrong, sucked). 

In lighter objections I don't believe WWE had anyone in the top 10 of most charismatic and that is one of the more damning statements on the make-up of the voting body. AEW winning most of the awards, sure that's fine, but going "no one in a company that employs Sasha Banks and Big E among others deserves even a top 10 spot in terms of charisma" is basically removed from reality.

2 minutes ago, username said:

Ignoring everything else everyone else has already covered for a moment, most disgusting promotional tactic basically ignoring the whole widespread "speaking out" movement is the one that is the biggest "what in the hell were any of you thinking?" thing in this entire thing. It kinda shed a light on how many awful people were getting away with awful activity for ages, including at times by people who ran promotions and used that to their advantage which seems like a more disgusting thing than a round of layoffs (which don't get me wrong, sucked). 

Is that just on one promotion though? Also, wouldn't that be like the biggest new story of the year and not most disgusting promotional tactic?

A big news story can be about a rather disgusting thing (also is there a biggest news story category, I honestly have no idea). I don't think anything says a disgusting promotional tactic has to be about just one promotion, but I wouldn't object to breaking it down and giving it several spots.

Just now, odessasteps said:

With respect to Speaking Out, don't know if anything can be a bigger news story than the pandemic and how it effects the industry (by which i mean the business) ?

Also, again, Speaking Out is not really a promotional tactic. Now if someone was like, "__________ kept his/her job in ___________ despite multiple allegations" followed by said promotion, than yes, that would qualify.