DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

Well I slightly had my tongue in cheek it isn't that much of a secret that I think Bobby Eaton was a better wrestler than Bret Hart (or Shawn Michaels while we are at it)

Bret and Shawn are both in the category of "Great" Wrestlers that I never want to see work again (Jerry Lawler would be another one for that list if we go all the way back to the GWE... which seems like another lifetime ago.)

Ironically, Ed and I were talking this week (about the Big 4 due to the Kobashi thread being started) and I realized that when I am not hating wrestling I have another category of "Great Wrestlers That I Am Not Watching A Match Because Of"

Basically - I realized while I like Misawa, I am at the point where I am never watching the match BECAUSE of Misawa. If I watch, it is because of his opponent. Flair and Steamboat are in there now too. I kinda want to flesh that point out more in my mind but I haven't had the chance.

• Like 4

Is it specifically the great formula guys whose formulas you've just had too much of, something like eating too many Twix bars one Halloween and then not being able to eat another one for years even though you admit to still theoretically enjoying them?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is it specifically the great formula guys whose formulas you've just had too much of, something like eating too many Twix bars one Halloween and then not being able to eat another one for years even though you admit to still theoretically enjoying them?

Yes and No

Some guys I just never really got into but I recognize that they are good

Others are definitely formula ones

There is also that sometimes my preferences lay outside the mainstream

Sometimes it is because a guy sucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Basically - I realized while I like Misawa, I am at the point where I am never watching the match BECAUSE of Misawa. If I watch, it is because of his opponent. Flair and Steamboat are in there now too. I kinda want to flesh that point out more in my mind but I haven't had the chance.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

I feel the exact same way, and could probably slot many other wrestlers in there (Kobashi being one too).

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Well I slightly had my tongue in cheek it isn't that much of a secret that I think Bobby Eaton was a better wrestler than Bret Hart (or Shawn Michaels while we are at it)

Bret and Shawn are both in the category of "Great" Wrestlers that I never want to see work again (Jerry Lawler would be another one for that list if we go all the way back to the GWE... which seems like another lifetime ago.)

I’m in that camp too. Don’t favor one over the other because I really don’t like either of them. 

• Thanks 1

Also, my favorite thing from the awards issue: Dave bitching about the way people vote for best box office draw, because it wasn't all UFC fighters. Why is this even a vote? Just use math to hand it out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alstein said:

MVP is probably going to go down I think is one of the more underrated folks of this era.  He does a lot of things so well- and he had fun matches, especially after the Kane stuff and even more after Benoit beat the wrestling into him.   I was really hoping he'd end up on NJPW Strong and doing something with Ren Narita- even moreso after hearing Shibata's criticism of Narita lacking fire (probably kayfabed but you never know)

If MVP had joined New Japan 2-3 years later than he did, he would have probably been at Omega or AJ Styles level of top Gaijin. He did make history by being the first IC champ though. His run was pretty decent but it wasn't as strong as it could have been. He's a guy that was very open about Japan being where he actually wanted to go, and his being a protégé of Benoit, you would've that he would have gotten a stronger run.

I've been a fan of him since he debuted on Smackdown, that hole play off of being treated like a number one draft pic and coming in like he's this big prospect before actually wrestling was so dope, and the fact that he is such a great talker. He didn't even  have to be anything special in the ring. His program with Benoit really put him over with me even more. When he got diagnosed with Wolff Parkinson and was out of the ring for several months, it was still early in his run and he was still about to have a memorable run with Matt Hardy. They he'd got a few petty punishments causing him to lose every week for way too long. 

Is crazy now he's been given the chance to be featured more prominently than ever when he should've been given that chance 15 years ago.

I feel the same way about Benjamin and Lashley too. They all still look very  good in the ring but seeing they now just makes be think how they dropped the ball on them when they were young. Even Lashley first came back. They should've done he vs Lesnar 

Edited by Ziggy

My best friend and I do a Zoom watchalong of old wrestling matches every Thursday. I try to pick a mix of good matches, topical matches, absurd matches, etc. Last night we watched Flair vs. Funk from Superbrawl 2000 due to the fact that Flair's birthday was yesterday. But, I saw that the Tank Abbott vs. Big Al match was on that card so we had to watch it. What a glorious, hilarious trainwreck.

1. I have no clue who the fuck Big Al was. I remembered the match happening and always assumed it was either 911 or Al Greene playing the role but it was just some random dude.

2. It was a leather jacket on a pole match which would scream "Vince Russo booking" but Russo had been sent home at that point IIRC. The leather jacket in question was supposed to be a "skin" akin to a motorcyle jacket that Tank had for a long time and had when he was in a motorcycle club with Al or some shit but it was clearly a brand new jacket with UFC logos on it.

3. They start the match by strapping their wrists together with a belt for some reason and trade slaps. Big Al gains the advantage when he eschews slapping to forearm Tank. 

4. Tank attempted to climb up the pole with Al over his shoulder (Al was a fairly big guy, at least 250lbs) and dropped him from the top turnbuckle to the floor in a horrifying bump.

5. Tank gets the jacket and sort of tries to wear it, gives up and roots around in the pockets to get a knife.

6. Tank holds the knife to Al's throat. Mark Madden screams, "he's going to cut his throat" or something like that while Tank audibly goes, "I could fucking kill you right now."

7. Tony Schiavone valiantly tries to save the whole thing by going, "Are those scissors? He's trying to cut off Al's beard."

8. Al was clean shaven.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

12 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Yeah, of course if you want to stack the deck and pick one of those matches where The Anvil was all hungover, it makes your point (j/k). I do think that too many folks look at being the weaker and/or less celebrated worker of a tag team = being carried. Neidhart was a respected and in demand worker pre-WWF, with stints in Stampede (where he worked and trained with Bret Hart), Georgia, New Japan (multiple times), Mid-South, Florida and other top territories. His style doesn't translate well to more modern sensibilities but he could  hold up his end and more. Thee Anvil definitely was the personality and promo man of the team for most of their run, since Hart was out from under his Daddy's wing (and Canadian (j/k (?)). His laugh and beard-tug elevate him greatly in my eyes. I am not a fan of the Hitman, so I could argue that JN was the soul of the team but I won't. Also to tip the scales pro-Anvil for RAF is that Jim Neidhart did generously share his Jack Daniel's with me (but not any other, um, treats) in a Milwaukee hotel room post-WWF and also gave me tips for pleasing the ladies which I will treasure always. It was an odd tour, that one.

- misty water colored memories,

RAF

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Triple H challenged Elon Musk to a match on Mars. Wrestlemania Mars.

This will be worth it when Vince tells his people to write a RAW segment for Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins and someone has to tell him that John Carter flopped twelve years ago and not even the stars want to remind people they were associated with it. 

• Like 2